BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Slight Accident

01-31-2016, 04:48 AM   #1
Aaron25
Rep
Drives: BMW 118D 2013

Slight Accident

Hi guys, had a slight accident (my fault) Insurance excess is £500.

Car damage is, crease under badge, kidney grills have both been damaged and scratches (nothing major).

I have been to a insurance approved garage who said the work will cost around the £300, I rang a BMW approved garage and they said over £500 as the front bumper will need to be replaced.

Any advice guys?

Thank
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

1. Phone diagnostics is unreliable: "been to" works better than "rang"!

2. If the bumper damage is of appearance kind only it's one thing, if the bumper will fail to protect the next time it's another. I had I slight accident (hitting a tree) with my first car (not a BMW). No damage visually but the bumper went soft at the contact spot, thus the impact absorber needed replacement actually.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 02:08 PM   #3
matthewcornish
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Never accept any over the phone quote for this sort of thing - go visit your approved garage
      01-31-2016, 03:53 PM   #4
Aaron25
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
1. Phone diagnostics is unreliable: "been to" works better than "rang"!

2. If the bumper damage is of appearance kind only it's one thing, if the bumper will fail to protect the next time it's another. I had I slight accident (hitting a tree) with my first car (not a BMW). No damage visually but the bumper went soft at the contact spot, thus the impact absorber needed replacement actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewcornish View Post
Never accept any over the phone quote for this sort of thing - go visit your approved garage
Will pop down tomorrow to the approved BMW garage! what is best Approved BMW repair garage or Approved insurance garage?

Last edited by Aaron25; 01-31-2016 at 03:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2016, 11:17 PM   #5
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron25 View Post
what is best Approved BMW repair garage or Approved insurance garage?
It depends on what matters more to you: the quality or the price. Approved BMW repair garage should fix it perfectly but they might (well, even should) price that excessively compared to non-official. Approved insurance garage is insurance expense cutter: they'll do their best to make it cheap. I'd guess they might "overlook" some unobvious damage like I described, paint the scratches locally (rather than the whole part) and so on.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #6
Aaron25
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
It depends on what matters more to you: the quality or the price. Approved BMW repair garage should fix it perfectly but they might (well, even should) price that excessively compared to non-official. Approved insurance garage is insurance expense cutter: they'll do their best to make it cheap. I'd guess they might "overlook" some unobvious damage like I described, paint the scratches locally (rather than the whole part) and so on.

I will visit an approved BMW garage, I suppose if I want a proper job done, and no short cuts etc. Thank you mate
Appreciate 0