BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW statement concerning current media reports condemning diesel

07-24-2017, 10:25 AM   #45
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjoe66 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Gearbox View Post
In the UK they got it wrong. The government backed Diesel engines until they realised that more than 2000 diesel related deaths occurred in one year. This included spanner monkeys working with Diesel engines day in and day out to children who entered the garage while their dad left the engine idling. Now they realise they had it wrong. It is not the carbon footprint of gasoline engines but the notorious oxide gases from Diesel. Diesel Particulate Filters have come a long way though! We're nowhere near the 2000 mark anymore.

BMW need to make their stance clear on what they will do for Euro 5 diesels owners. Hopefully not at the expense of the owners!

Then we have other issues such as countries wanting to follow suit or not.
Now the children getting hurt or even worse die in garages, that is from CO and carboxyhemoglobin formation. And regular gasoline cars also emit CO.....
This is true but the media know very well that there are lies, damn lies and, then there are statistics.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 11:19 AM   #46
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBimmer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Makes sense to me - what's the issue?
What BMW really meant was "BMW had no reason to conspire since our diesel systems are different. All we discussed during these meetings with other German manufacturers was installation locations for the AdBlue tanks."

But that would require BMW to acknowledge that a German-wide auto maker conspiracy was the subject of its press release.
Someone gets it.

The amount of stupidity and sheer gullibility out there is astounding.
      07-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #47
Mike991M4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
The Tanking Infrastructure includes a universal standard DEF filling nozzle, an established network of filling sources, and standards/requirements for ensuring proper storage for bottles and nozzle dispense filling locations.
yet the DEF tank in my cayenne is just a plain tank underneath the spare tire with no special nozzle required, just a long funnel.
2015 Cayenne Diesel
2017 M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 03:46 PM   #48
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike991M4
Quote:
The Tanking Infrastructure includes a universal standard DEF filling nozzle, an established network of filling sources, and standards/requirements for ensuring proper storage for bottles and nozzle dispense filling locations.
yet the DEF tank in my cayenne is just a plain tank underneath the spare tire with no special nozzle required, just a long funnel.
IIRC for BMW a Kruse adapter was initially utilized back in 2009 and I think it was universal at the time.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 01:35 PM   #49
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

A hybrid diesel would be a nice add-on for this. Seems obvious enough & the technology exists to make it happen
      07-25-2017, 11:15 PM   #50
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBimmer View Post
What BMW really meant was "BMW had no reason to conspire since our diesel systems are different. All we discussed during these meetings with other German manufacturers was installation locations for the AdBlue tanks."

But that would require BMW to acknowledge that a German-wide auto maker conspiracy was the subject of its press release.
Yes and no. It's a very complex matter being investigated by the same organization that created the "cartels". To add further difficulty, leaks to the press are extremely ambiguous and intentionality confusing. I should be receiving a subpoena any moment now myself in fact for collusion on component price fixing. This specific inquiry is focused on the 1998 - 2008 time frame. The UNECE began WP.29 in 1998.

On a personal note, I believe you and I have met several times and have some close mutual friends. I think you'd have a vastly different view of I was to explain in a way that didn't breach my security clearances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c63er View Post
Someone gets it.

The amount of stupidity and sheer gullibility out there is astounding.
Some people do get it. It isn't the general public however. Much of this is protected by State Secrets and are highly classified Government matters involving Foreign Trade. Without having served on the committees as an Executive, Technical, Regulatory, or Vested Business Entity Representative, full understanding is impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike991M4 View Post
How are you filling it? As mentioned below, the Kruse Adaptor is the Standardized Nozzle. It is not the only way to refill however.

As seen in a current Cayenne...

Standardized Volume Refill bottle with Kruze Adaptor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
IIRC for BMW a Kruse adapter was initially utilized back in 2009 and I think it was universal at the time.
It's still the Universal Type. DEF (and there are several types now) does not store well with a 6 - 12 month shelf life. The investigation regarding the Tanking Infrastructure is for discussions occurring prior to 2009. It also includes Hydrogen use and that Infrastructure as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 11:29 PM   #51
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysspl View Post
A hybrid diesel would be a nice add-on for this. Seems obvious enough & the technology exists to make it happen
Diesel-Hybrid is ideal through at least 2030. Just as an example, yesterday, I drove the Range Rover Prototype Demonstrator in my possession and had a friend drive my personal Range Rover Diesel together on a quick route. Both cars were operated with Active Cruise Control, predetermined braking points established, Auto Start Stop off, and all environmental systems on.

The Demonstrator (a Sentinel SDV6 Hybrid weighing one ton more) achieved the better mileage using only minimal assist from the electric motor. The standard US TD6 was still rather good for a large SUV, but showed how even it can still be improved. The slightly higher avg speed is the result of the Sentinel having to stop for a traffic signal.
Attached Images

Last edited by lemetier; 07-26-2017 at 07:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 08:06 AM   #52
Mike991M4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

Quote:

How are you filling it? As mentioned below, the Kruse Adaptor is the Standardized Nozzle. It is not the only way to refill however.

As seen in a current Cayenne...

Standardized Volume Refill bottle with Kruze Adaptor.

It's still the Universal Type. DEF (and there are several types now) does not store well with a 6 - 12 month shelf life. The investigation regarding the Tanking Infrastructure is for discussions occurring prior to 2009. It also includes Hydrogen use and that Infrastructure as well.
I just use a long funnel and pour out of a 2.5 gallon container I buy at Autozone.
2015 Cayenne Diesel
2017 M4 Competition
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 03:12 PM   #53
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake_Late View Post

a diesel / hybrid. Get 100mpg
That's what I always said: diesel hybrid: cleaner and more efficient than gasoline.
Appreciate 1
Brake_Late1936.50
      08-01-2017, 06:48 PM   #54
Brake_Late
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 FIREORANGE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake_Late View Post

a diesel / hybrid. Get 100mpg
That's what I always said: diesel hybrid: cleaner and more efficient than gasoline.
BMWPhotoVin, 01of01, GTS DCT, EPS, MDM,
CS EDC,Analog Dip ,GTS parts.
Euro Vin e30 M3, FIA cage / 14.7 p / w ratio.
Euro E30 touring G30 MSport i3s LBB X5M
3.2carrera

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClRTsfNzuz_EjUBu59UCykA
Appreciate 0