BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Moving my BMW from Dubai to The US

09-07-2016, 09:57 AM   #1
hanafimahmoud
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Convertible

Moving my BMW from Dubai to The US

Hello guys,

I got my M4 around 7 months ago. and now I have to relocate to the US. given my car is Gulf Specs (very similar to EURO specs). I'm looking for any guidance on how to import my car into the US.

I read only that i have to contact one of registered importers for possible modifications.

any one has experience with the process?
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #2
WestBankM4
First Lieutenant
Palestine
Rep
Drives: '19 M4CS

I've sent cars to my family in the Emirates from the USA, but never from the UAE to the USA.

They are much more strict in the US as far as importing of cars from outside. Catalytic converter will need to be on there, perhaps even a flash since Euro/Gulf Specs are "illegal" on US roads, for instance the LED Adaptive Hi-beams.

I will ask my brother in Ajman what's needed and see if I can fill you in.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 10:53 AM   #3
hanafimahmoud
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestBankM4 View Post
I've sent cars to my family in the Emirates from the USA, but never from the UAE to the USA.

They are much more strict in the US as far as importing of cars from outside. Catalytic converter will need to be on there, perhaps even a flash since Euro/Gulf Specs are "illegal" on US roads, for instance the LED Adaptive Hi-beams.

I will ask my brother in Ajman what's needed and see if I can fill you in.
Thanks, that would be great.

strange to see LEDs as illegal.
Appreciate 1
xlover2191.00
      09-07-2016, 10:54 AM   #4
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanafimahmoud View Post
Thanks, that would be great.

strange to see LEDs as illegal.
Not the LEDs per se - the Adaptive Anti-Dazzle functionality is "illegal".
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2016, 12:34 PM   #5
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

When you add up the cost to ship it, federalizing it (lighting, emissions, reflectors, and documentation from BMW noting differences between the two markets - and fixing things that do not comply here), documentation and time wasted (both in shipping as well as federalizing), sell it there and buy a replacement here...
Appreciate 2
c1pher4661.00
nyalpine907423.50
      09-07-2016, 01:53 PM   #6
hanafimahmoud
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn
When you add up the cost to ship it, federalizing it (lighting, emissions, reflectors, and documentation from BMW noting differences between the two markets - and fixing things that do not comply here), documentation and time wasted (both in shipping as well as federalizing), sell it there and buy a replacement here...
Depends on the cost. The car is only 7 months old and the used market value is really low, around 25% loss. So if what it takes is around 15K, that would still be a good option for me.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 02:19 PM   #7
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Depends on the cost. The car is only 7 months old and the used market value is really low, around 25% loss. So if what it takes is around 15K, that would still be a good option for me.
Then good luck to you. I suggest that you start here, and read up on what it will take. I'm sure it will not be worthwhile compared to a 25% loss. Also, remember your residual value of the car, once (and if) you federalize it. Who would buy a gray market car, that you likely had to make significant changes to, when the US version is readily available? Your 25% loss will likely seem trivial compared to the cost differential between the two countries and what the car would be worth, once federalized and imported.

It is possible that the EPA (Environment Protection Agency) would not even allow the car to be imported. You also have the option of having a commercial importer handle the transaction for you.. for added cost, obviously. Actually, you may just want to call one of those importers and have them tell you if it is worth it.

Edit: In Dubai, it seems that the M4 costs the equivilent of $120,000 USD, to start - and then add options. So, bringing it here will immediately cost you at least $60,000 in lost value of the car, since they sell for about half of that cost in the States. Then you'd still need federalize it (if that is even possible), then shipping costs, then taxes. It would be FAR cheaper, easier and more timely to just buy a car here.

Last edited by larryn; 09-07-2016 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 2
c1pher4661.00
David701567.00
      09-08-2016, 09:47 AM   #8
pmc123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i

Quote:
Hello guys,

I got my M4 around 7 months ago. and now I have to relocate to the US. given my car is Gulf Specs (very similar to EURO specs). I'm looking for any guidance on how to import my car into the US.

I read only that i have to contact one of registered importers for possible modifications.

any one has experience with the process?
It is very difficult to bring a non-US spec car into the US. EPA (emissions) and DOT (safety) are the biggest hurdles. Despite the US and EU having similar standards, they aren't the same and the car will have to be modified and certified. These costs might exceed the value of a used M4 in the US and you won't have your car for months. If you're coming to California, it is even tougher.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 01:58 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You will not be able to import the car into the US for registration in a state. Only cars over 25 years old(in non US specs) can be imported into the US.

You might be able to import the car for "less than 12 months" but you have to post a pretty large bond, run on your "home country plates" and then you have to prove the car was exported out of the US on time.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 02:31 PM   #10
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post

Edit: In Dubai, it seems that the M4 costs the equivilent of $120,000 USD, to start - and then add options. So, bringing it here will immediately cost you at least $60,000 in lost value of the car, since they sell for about half of that cost in the States.
Based on the above it has lost 25% of the $120k you paid for it so it is currently worth around $90k, even $80k there? If true, regardless of what could be done and for how much it looks like selling it there and buying a new one here would be cheapest and easiest solution.
      09-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #11
hanafimahmoud
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post

Edit: In Dubai, it seems that the M4 costs the equivilent of $120,000 USD, to start - and then add options. So, bringing it here will immediately cost you at least $60,000 in lost value of the car, since they sell for about half of that cost in the States.
Based on the above it has lost 25% of the $120k you paid for it so it is currently worth around $90k, even $80k there? If true, regardless of what could be done and for how much it looks like selling it there and buying a new one here would be cheapest and easiest solution.
Yes. The M4 vert costs around 115K USD fully loaded. But it doesn't seem logical to bring it. Would be easier to just sell it and get a new one in the US.

I might not be able to lease one for awhile as from what I read online, leasing depends on your US credit history. So will have to work on this.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2016, 11:50 AM   #12
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

if you are permanently locating sell it and dont waste your time with import and trust me i do this for a living.. if you are going to be here less than a year, you can do a TIB (temporary import under bond) however vehicle must be exported before that year is up.
Appreciate 1
c1pher4661.00
      07-31-2017, 10:11 PM   #13
hanafimahmoud
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid_eg View Post
if you are permanently locating sell it and dont waste your time with import and trust me i do this for a living.. if you are going to be here less than a year, you can do a TIB (temporary import under bond) however vehicle must be exported before that year is up.

so, eventually I decided to bring the car under TIB for a year. I did try to sell the car in Dubai but seems the market is so bad. dropped the price 35% for one year old, still didn't get one call . kinda strange. also, I might not stay in the US forever, so it seems to right thing to do.

I was surprised that shipping prices from UAE to US is higher than the other way around
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 12:14 AM   #14
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Quote:
so, eventually I decided to bring the car under TIB for a year. I did try to sell the car in Dubai but seems the market is so bad. dropped the price 35% for one year old, still didn't get one call . kinda strange. also, I might not stay in the US forever, so it seems to right thing to do.

I was surprised that shipping prices from UAE to US is higher than the other way around
Please let us know how it goes as i plan to do the same with my 04 M3 in a few years. Thanks.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 01:33 AM   #15
hanafimahmoud
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports View Post
Please let us know how it goes as i plan to do the same with my 04 M3 in a few years. Thanks.
sure, will do. currently I'm only planning to drive it here for a year then likely I will be moving back to the middle east. if I decide to extend my stay, I might look up how much it will cost to make the car legal here or just ship it back home and sell It and get a new one here.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 01:41 AM   #16
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Following as well. I have a 2011 Cayman S I'd love to get back to the US, but unfortunately I don't see a way around selling it.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 01:45 AM   #17
hanafimahmoud
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
Following as well. I have a 2011 Cayman S I'd love to get back to the US, but unfortunately I don't see a way around selling it.
Yes, if you can sell it. do it and avoid the hassle. and simply next time you buy a car in the Middle East, get a US car, you never know when you will move
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 02:21 AM   #18
DanielLee5
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybrid_eg View Post
Agree!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 03:08 AM   #19
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Yes, if you can sell it. do it and avoid the hassle. and simply next time you buy a car in the Middle East, get a US car, you never know when you will move
Unfortunately, we have to be very careful of used US-spec cars out here. Wrecked luxury cars are brought from the US and repaired cheaply. Urban legend is a Mercedes S Class folded in half during an accident. It was found that two wrecked S Classes (one with frontal damage and the other had been hit in the rear) were welded together to create one car.

Thanks for the advice on selling... it seems that's what I have to do

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 04:26 AM   #20
hanafimahmoud
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
Quote:
Unfortunately, we have to be very careful of used US-spec cars out here. Wrecked luxury cars are brought from the US and repaired cheaply. Urban legend is a Mercedes S Class folded in half during an accident. It was found that two wrecked S Classes (one with frontal damage and the other had been hit in the rear) were welded together to create one car.

Thanks for the advice on selling... it seems that's what I have to do
I originally didn't plan to move here. If I know, I would have ordered a US M4. Even buy it brand new and ship it to Dubai. It would be same price or even cheaper.

Also one plus is the fact that in the US you can customize the car to your liking. Something that is not easily done elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 04:27 AM   #21
hanafimahmoud
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumitru Ivanov View Post
You can also get in contact with a customs broker for an offer. The taxes shouldn't be that high for less than a year.
No tax or customs on temporary import. Just standard fees.

I'm in contact with a broker now to get this done. It wasn't easy finding one, most I contacted didn't understand what a temporary import is and didn't want to bother.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 12:34 PM   #22
hybrid_eg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 90 S13, 22 MSP, 23 JLUR 4xe

Any reputable customs broker can help you with this in the USA.. shop around.. its TIB (Temporary import under bond).. vehicle must be exported within one year.

You will not pay duties/taxes, just customs clearance fees and of course the surety bond. Keep in mind, since you are new importer don't be surprised if container gets flagged for x-ray exam or intensive exam .. x-ray is only $200 while intensive exam can easily run you $2K.. and these exams are extremely common with new importers, same would apply when you export.

This is why i advised from the beginning not to waste your money, sell the car and move on... anytime you buy a new car and drive off the lot you're immediately loosing money..
Appreciate 0