BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW U.S. July 2017 Sales Figures

08-02-2017, 11:38 AM   #67
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

I think a lot of comments are missing two big factors here.

1) The U.S. market is cutthroat with discounts and preferences for a greater variety of luxury car brands. (Brands like Cadillac and Infiniti are available in Europe, but no one wants them.) With lower per-vehicle profits a given in the U.S., BMW learned to allocate more cars to markets with higher profit margins, especially China where BMWs are still prestigious and aspirational.

2) Lease incentives are determined by the predicted market demand for CPO cars in three years. Even when CPO car values are low due to artificial subsidies when new, the real CPO profit stream comes from warranties, repairs, and financing. BMW will always tinker with lease incentives to ensure that second round of profit in the CPO market remains strong. It is a delicate balance of incentives today vs. profit and equity tomorrow, a balance that Cadillac and GMAC upset a decade ago helping GM's track to bankruptcy.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 01:17 PM   #68
vinny84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW X5

Something to consider...I read an article today about how people are holding onto their cars longer nowadays. That could cause the new car market to slow down a bit in the short term.

Also, more people are wanting an autonomous car and/or an electric car. I'm sure there a good amount of consumers holding out for the next best thing.

Maybe this is why BMW have lowered their residuals?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 04:12 PM   #69
Mamyf30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f30

i'm in the market and looking for a small SUV to lease. i'll wait to test drive the new X3 M40i but i will cross shop this against the GLC 43 AMG and Macan S. if the lease numbers don't work out with BMW, i would gladly leave them for a better brand such as Mercedes or Porsche
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 04:51 PM   #70
vinny84
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamyf30 View Post
i'm in the market and looking for a small SUV to lease. i'll wait to test drive the new X3 M40i but i will cross shop this against the GLC 43 AMG and Macan S. if the lease numbers don't work out with BMW, i would gladly leave them for a better brand such as Mercedes or Porsche
Having my Macan (Base) for a little over a week now, I have to say I'm glad I bought it.

This car is so fun to drive and with so much tech and options that I'm not sure why I overlooked it in the past. I can only imagine a Macan S or higher

Sorry for the thread jack
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 09:18 PM   #71
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Tesla Model 3 potential buyers held out in july. Once they realize the model 3 was a bait and switch they will crawl shamefully back to bmw 3 series
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 11:53 AM   #72
vinny84
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antzcrashing View Post
Tesla Model 3 potential buyers held out in july. Once they realize the model 3 was a bait and switch they will crawl shamefully back to bmw 3 series
Care to explain why you think the Model 3 is a bait and switch?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 12:10 PM   #73
geddylee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7, 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
The i division is a complete disaster for BMW.
The F30 has been the worst 3-series of all time and the competition has caught up and even surpassed it. When the E90 was 6 yrs old it was still the best in class without a doubt. The F30, on the other hand, is a dead man walking after 6 yrs. Save for tech, BMW did not push the bar forward in any area for the F30. The E90 was 10x more fun to drive and had nicer interior materials and a very similar interior design. There is no reason to consider an F30.

This is all true
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 01:03 PM   #74
pbjjj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1, Dark Olive/Mocha

I just checked out Audi's July sales report and was surprised to see that the aging Audi Q3 outsold BMW X1. I cross-shopped between Q3 and X1 before I bought my X1 and found X1 has overall better packaging, including more useful space, better gas mileage, and more updated technology. Q3 overall is a more comfortable car, so maybe that is the highest priority for buyers this year...

If that trend continues, the upcoming X2 will have a very tough competitor in the upcoming Q4.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #75
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
I agree BMW has lost sight of what made it great. Many of the current and past owners are driving enthusiasts. They enjoy a well made car that is fun to drive. Even so called "badge lovers" who bought it only for the badge and know nothing about cars had a reason they bought it over Mercedes or Audi. They likely bought it for the driving experience, or the driving experience BMW as a brand represents.

The E90 was the best selling luxury car in its segment, and if you compare the E90 and F30 it is easy to see why sales have fallen. I actually think the F30 is attractive on the outside, but it has become too much like everything else in the class as far as driving dynamics and quality. Newer models are supposed to be an improvement, and make you want to buy the new one over what you currently have.

I have two family friends who left BMW and went with something else. One went from an E46 325i to a 2016 Corolla S, the other from an E90 to an Infiniti Q50 sedan. Both enjoyed their BMWs, and test drove newer models before looking elsewhere. They said the more expensive maintenance known to BMWs and the lousy service departments was not outweighed by the driving experience with the newer cars. Meaning the newer cars were not stellar enough to justify ownership over something else.

BMW has a large enthusiast following, and many customers are repeat buyers. This is very similar to another niche vehicle I am familiar with, the Jeep Wrangler. Ever look at Jeep Wranglers? The prices are nuts for what you actually get, they aren't the most reliable vehicles in the world, the service departments suck, but buyers keep coming back. The vehicle is so successful because there isn't anything else on the market that comes close. My parents have owned Jeeps for over 30 years, and it is because each time they get a slightly better version of the same thing they liked owning previously.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2017, 05:28 PM   #76
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Global sales up 13%.
We can count the first month of the new 5er Touring and 530e iPerformance.
Global drivers lie with the 5er,7er,2er,4er and the BMW X models.
Plus China sales with the all new 1er Sedan having a considerable impact remaining in the top spot as BMW's largest market. The all new 5er. Li has recently launched in the past couple of weeks.

BMW are also close to the goal of having 100,000 Electric/Hybrid models being sold globally. Some markets now count the 225e,330e,X530e and 730e as the best selling model of the series. The new 530e has not yet made an impact for such a title as it has recently arrived on the market but it is surely a Matter of time.

This will be enhanced by a further addition of the soon to be launched X3 30e.
And a refreshed i3. Including a new Performance i3S. And the refreshed BMW i8 which will also introduce the BMW i8 Roadster.
The all new MINI Countryman E is also beginning to have an impact.

At the IAA in September BMW will unveil the X7 Concept equipped with Fuel Cell technology developed with assistance from Toyota.
      08-03-2017, 05:37 PM   #77
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjjj View Post
I just checked out Audi's July sales report and was surprised to see that the aging Audi Q3 outsold BMW X1. I cross-shopped between Q3 and X1 before I bought my X1 and found X1 has overall better packaging, including more useful space, better gas mileage, and more updated technology. Q3 overall is a more comfortable car, so maybe that is the highest priority for buyers this year...

If that trend continues, the upcoming X2 will have a very tough competitor in the upcoming Q4.
On the road I see alot more X1 than Q3.
Maybe some folks are just turned off by the rebadged supersized MINI Countryman that the f48 X1 is based off of and decided to buy the Audi instead.
I think the Q3 is smaller inside though.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 02:37 PM   #78
malutki
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X5 xDrive35i

I had Q3 as a loaner when my A6 went in for a service an it was awful. We seriously considered X1 for my wife, but with the discounts on X5 it was a no brainer and we went with X5.
Appreciate 0