BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Rear end drift/sliding f20

02-11-2024, 03:02 PM   #1
z_a_123
Registered
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 1 series f20

Hi All, New here, so hoping ive posted in the right category.
I’ve had a browse and can’t really find an answer on previous threads, so I’m wondering if anyone can please advise?
I have a 1 series F20,(120d n47) & find it feels really ’light ’ in the steering, especially when I’m doing anything over 30mph, feels like it floats & doesn’t seem to grip the tarmac, & if I hit any uneven road surface (regardless of which drive mode I’m in) it feels extra twitchy. The back end also kicks out often when I use roundabouts or take a bend, to the point where sometimes I really have to pull it back under control . This can happen in any driving conditions, and often at low speeds. I could understand if I was flying into bends like a lunatic 🤷🏻‍♀️🤣
It just feels really unsafe in comparison to my old E92 👎🏼 & I’m really starting to dislike it.
l’ve recently had new tyres all round, so doubt it’s the tread. (Don’t think they’re run flat) First MOT since I bought it is due next month, & I’m hoping it’s nothing too costly. Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2024, 11:21 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

I would guess you must have the suspension heavily tuned (to defy the laws of physics - "regardless of which drive mode I’m in" - DSC fails to help? ).

Don't contemplate whether the tyres are runflat - just check it (it's weird if you don't know what tyres you have ). I use runflats but I don't experience anything like you describe. Also check the tyre pressure (I've run on two overinflated tyres on one side from a tyre shop but that failed to affect handling noticeably).
Appreciate 1
      02-12-2024, 11:14 AM   #3
DieselDuck
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWB58

Get a proper alignment, check tyre pressures and run some proper tyres. F2X works well with PS4/PS5 tyres for daily use.
Appreciate 1