BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Rumor: BMW and Toyota Joint Project to Spawn Hybrid Supercar

11-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #67
Kabbaba
United_States
Rep
Drives: Silver 2006 BMW 325xi

Sweet looking car. Can't wait to see what they do.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #68
N & M
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Could Be An Interesting Tie Up

The crux of the tie up is all about sharing the extremely expensive R&D spend of electric and hybrid tech with an established and credible player in the industry. BMW was on its own before but now the costs to apply this tech should be more competitive to develop and bring to the market (think batteries, e-motors, etc). Hopefully this will free up long overdue resources for BMW to put back into its core product.

They are also supposedly working on a joint light (and affordable) FR RWD sports car program which I believe should greatly improve the cost (to develop and sell) and performance of things like the Z4 and similar vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #69
norwegianE46
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 Gran Turismo, Midnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck
You people crack me up. There's been tons of bitching about how BMW doesn't make a halo supercar to take on the Audi R8. Then when potential news of just such a car gets reported there's bitching about it. Make up your damn minds.
Excellent point.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #70
M5007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Competition Package

I love the Supra. In the 90's that car was years ahead of its time. So was the 8 series (850 CSI was a monster) a true M8 without the badge.

If the mix those two together to produce something special. I am all for it. I don't think it's something that I could personally afford. But will enjoy nonetheless.
      11-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #71
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronos6 View Post
Toyota joining with any good car brand in order to produce a "sports-like" vehicle is an ultimate fail. What do they know about a sports car? Secondly what of their electronics is useful besides the hybrid aspect of a Prius?

I just hate the fact that hybrid is now an option on alot of cars and future car and concepts. We wouldn't have a gas crisis or any problems with the environment if we just took the license away from the dumb idiots who should be nowhere near operating a vehicle. /rant.

They know very much more than you, and no less than BMW. Lexus had the LFA, BMW nothing.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #72
chronos6
Banned
Poland
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi Le Mans

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
They know very much more than you, and no less than BMW. Lexus had the LFA, BMW nothing.
True, I just blindly hate Toyota. No cars since the Supra are anywhere near being a proper sports car for the middle to low class individual in America. Yes they have the IS-F, but that's the only car that they have that is a sports car and look at the price. BMW on the other hand caters to the individuals in these classes aforementioned. They have cars from $30k and up and each one has a sporty feel to it, everything from the NA I6 to the N54/55 and even the M3 motor. Toyota continues to put out horrendously boring vehicles.

Lexus and its LFA are an anomaly. Other than the motor Also Toyota does have motors that are used in the F1 cars, but they have yet to provide any of those innovations to the general public is a sport car.

Prime example of a joint project with Toyota is the BR-Z. Complete and utter fail when it comes to power of that car. Totally under powered. And either Toyota told Subaru not to put in the awd or they themselves didn't want it to have awd because of some reason. At 200hp with 160 torque, that car is a grocery-getter.

If this supercar will be anything similar to the LFA, then it will be a success, other than that, Toyota is an uber fail in my book until they start catering to the performance oriented consumer.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #73
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver1
What does BMW need Toyota for? Just let //M make an M8 version of the i8.
It is likely Hydrogen. BMW is heavily invested and has partnered with Toyota for the use of their already developed technologies. BMW has already produced a prototype super car that set ridiculous speed records. Hydrogen is extremely more efficient in power production than gasoline and a safe use has been developed by BMW already. This will be a revolution in cars to come from BMW and could likely replace "certain" BMW models that we have come to love.

While this car may not actually be the Hydrogen prototype it is most definitely under development in a venture between BMW and Toyota. Just do some Googling and you can read all about it.

2016 McLaren 675LT - Chicane Grey
2016 Corvette Z07 - Artic White
2016 BMW F86 X6M - Black Sapphire Metallic
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #74
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

An S63tu hybrid setup? BMW could get 700-800hp out of that easily. Fitting it in an i8? That's another story.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 08:14 AM   #75
shah269
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009

Maybe they need to talk to those buys at Red Bull ;-)
They seem to not only have wings but lots of brains!
Appreciate 0