BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > New Mini Cooper unveiled

11-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #23
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodite10 View Post
Quite the opposite for me hey. What mini do you have?

And will continue to growl which is a good thing for some. Once it hits mainstream hatch size a lot more people will consider it

+1
R56 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyV View Post
On the Countryman the centre speedo is pointless as there is a digital speedo in the rev counter, I don't think I ever look at the centre speedo, the only person is my wife and she generally makes me slow down. So I'm happy to see it go. The interior quality appears to have made a big improvement, the current MINI interiors are not good enough for a premium priced product.
I would never consider a MINI to be a "premium" product, it's purpose was never such the thing, but BMW's intent is to fill ever gap and hole so I understand the marketing and direction they're going with in the MINI. It is more mainstream, but I see the move as being less MINI and more BMW with this gen. My MINI has the digital speedo in the rev counter, but I never use it, I always have my miles left counter open instead. May be pointless on a Countryman, but it's so much more appealing to me.

Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #24
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic View Post
R56 S

I would never consider a MINI to be a "premium" product, it's purpose was never such the thing, but BMW's intent is to fill ever gap and hole so I understand the marketing and direction they're going with in the MINI. It is more mainstream, but I see the move as being less MINI and more BMW with this gen. My MINI has the digital speedo in the rev counter, but I never use it, I always have my miles left counter open instead. May be pointless on a Countryman, but it's so much more appealing to me.
Now that's a mini I'd want to own. Beautiful
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #25
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

iPE sponsored MINI. Why would I ever want to get rid of this!? Such a fun car to drive.

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #26
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

But the 2015 Mustang is too retro...
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #27
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Too big un ugly FWD proportions. The first generation Mini by BMW was the best.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #28
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic View Post
With the original Mini it was only the early cars which had the central speedo, from the late sixties until production stopped the car had a conventional dash with gauges directly in front of the driver. On the Countryman the speedo is always displayed in the rev counter you can't change it like I could in my Clubman.

MINI charge a premium price in Europe and at least in Norway prices are no haggle just like BMW, what you pay is what's on the window sticker, no discounts, if you're lucky you might get free floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #29
halfmoonclip
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X1 28i

As regards the size of the current product, an original Min was on the showroom floor at the dealership we visited. The current generation is a stretch limo by comparison. It's flat amazing how small the originals were, and a reminder of how relatively inexpensive they had to be in 'sixties Europe. Even the VW bug on the floor of our VW dealer looks relatively 'normal' compared to current vehicles.
Moon
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #30
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

i feel like there's a joke that i'm the only one missing - it looks exactly the same?!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #31
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
i feel like there's a joke that i'm the only one missing - it looks exactly the same?!
Well, the not exactly the same, because this is ugly. I don't get how two the same things can once be nice, once be ugly.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #32
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Well, the not exactly the same, because this is ugly. I don't get how two the same things can once be nice, once be ugly.
They do pretty much look the same, so I would think that it's either both ugly or both good looking. I personally think they're both good looking. Could do with slightly smaller rear tail lights though.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 05:27 AM   #33
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodite10 View Post
They do pretty much look the same, so I would think that it's either both ugly or both good looking. I personally think they're both good looking. Could do with slightly smaller rear tail lights though.
As I said in the other thread, the problem is the height, the new Mini is too high, and the front overhang is too long and shows FWD layout, unlike the first one. New Mini is the same, but look puffy, that makes it ugly IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #34
filip75
Facetious
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M4

I'd buy a John Coopers version for my wife (if I had one)
      11-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #35
MikeyV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
As regards the size of the current product, an original Min was on the showroom floor at the dealership we visited. The current generation is a stretch limo by comparison. It's flat amazing how small the originals were, and a reminder of how relatively inexpensive they had to be in 'sixties Europe.
Moon
It's widely believe that BMC lost money on every Mini they built. Ford pulled one apart and priced all the components, they worked out the Mini cost more to built than it was being sold for.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #36
MikeyV
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by filip75 View Post
I'd buy a John Coopers version for my wife (if I had one)
You can get them (wives) mail order these days.
Appreciate 0