BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Z4 forum too small, help with airbag light please?

08-31-2016, 01:20 PM   #1
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Z4 forum too small, help with airbag light please?

Hey guys, I did a bunch of searching but couldn't find a good answer.

So, some douche-bag hit my car while parked and didn't leave a note. While my car was getting fixed, I asked them to install a brand new passenger seat belt tensioner (that I provided) while they were at it. They did it very cheaply and he explained that installing it may set off an ABS error condition and that they will attempt to clear the code but they may not be able to. I approved.

Nonetheless, here we are. I have the red airbag light on the dash that hasn't gone away in a couple weeks.

UPDATE: I have setup all the BMW laptop diag tools on my laptop and bought the cable, but haven't used it yet. I can't seem to find how to use this to reset the airbag light.

Another possibility is that I have had a generic ODB II code reader for a while. Can you clear the ABS code with one of these? This is the one.

Thanks

Car is an '07 Z4 M Coupe. What do I do?

TIA!

Dave

Last edited by DaveJB; 08-31-2016 at 01:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 01:34 PM   #2
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

do you have an SRS light on, or an ABS light on? or both?

if you have the software and cable, connect the cable to the car and load INPA. INPA in my opinion is the fastest and easiest tool to use for clearing fault codes. youll need to have the cars electrical system on, but engine not running (aka key position 2).
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 01:44 PM   #3
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

Hrm, not sure what the difference is, Google Images didn't help me when I just now searched for it. I know that when passenger sits in the seat there's the yellow light down by their left knee and the airbag light between the gauges (which remains lighted passenger or not).

So, just learn to use INPA and I'm all set? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 01:47 PM   #4
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

SRS module just needs the codes cleared. Easy job with INPA.

You can also try leaving the battery disconnected for 30 mins or so.
      08-31-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

Damn, two answers in like 10 minutes! For now on, unless it's Z4 specific I'll make sure to post here. Thanks guys.

I have two other problems that might be related to each other and I'll have to get a post up for those too: right window doesn't auto roll up anymore and my key fob won't lock, but does unlock and work the trunk. I just replaced the key fob battery but admittedly I didn't test the voltage before I installed it.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 03:28 PM   #6
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Reset procedure for auto windows:

Window Closed: Push window open control and hold down until 60 seconds past window stop. Reverse.
      08-31-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
DaveJB
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtypants44 View Post
Reset procedure for auto windows:

Window Closed: Push window open control and hold down until 60 seconds past window stop. Reverse.
Ahh, lol. I read somewhere 10 seconds. Tried that, didn't work. Then read 30 seconds, tried that. So, 60 seconds? And does this have to be done from the passenger door?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2016, 03:37 PM   #8
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJB View Post
Damn, two answers in like 10 minutes! For now on, unless it's Z4 specific I'll make sure to post here. Thanks guys.

I have two other problems that might be related to each other and I'll have to get a post up for those too: right window doesn't auto roll up anymore and my key fob won't lock, but does unlock and work the trunk. I just replaced the key fob battery but admittedly I didn't test the voltage before I installed it.
Hmmm if both problems happened around the same time, it could be the Body Control Module.

I had an issue with my passenger window not going up automatically and it was the module.

Try the window reset first though