BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Car registered in one state, driven in another question

09-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
Focus
Captain
Rep
Drives: N/A

Car registered in one state, driven in another question

Hey guys,

So i know someone in a situation and i'm curious to know what everyones thoughts are. Car is registered to South Carolina, person has lived in New Jersey for 3 years. Person gets pulled over in New Jersey, admits to living in Jersey for 3 years, car gets impounded. Cop states the reason for the impound is the car should of been registered in New Jersey and so he cannot allow the person to drive it around due to it now being an unregistered vehicle technically.

What would be needed to get the car out of the impound?
      09-16-2014, 10:53 PM   #2
bga23
Dirty old man
Rep
Drives: 2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0

Just guessing but a NJ registration. Also, lucky for them they didn't get into an accident (I assume car is insured out of SC), insurance could have denied the claim too. Yeah, they saved money for a few years but at what cost?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:30 PM   #3
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

I believe student (full time) are only people who can use different state license plate and live there more than 6mo at a time.

I won't go as far as insurance fraud, but it is true that insurance might deny the major claims. (People usually do not have actuary algorithm software to calculate which state is cheaper or expensive).

There are massive amount of "rich folks" who has lots of property in different states, and stays longer than they claims to be a resident of that state, but they get away with it often.
For ex: WA resident staying at Jacksonhole Wyoming or Eagle Colorado for more than 6mo, and still claims to be WA resident.

The person who got impounded most likely have to pay fines, and get the car back from impound lot at extra lot charges.

This law is pain in the ass for people who has more than 1 properties in different states.
Sadly, my mom had to change the license plate on a same vehicle 6times in 4years. (around 2002-2006) She wanted to live in CA for 8mo, and CO for a year after.
      09-16-2014, 11:37 PM   #4
squishy
Banned
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexter View Post
This person is now facing insurance fraud issues, most likey will be dropped, and at worst could face criminal charges if the insurance company wants to pursue it.
Yeah, I don't think so. No way sufficient evidence can be brought up that would provide any indication towards insurance fraud.

Agree with you other than that, though.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:55 PM   #5
Focus
Captain
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by bga23 View Post
Just guessing but a NJ registration. Also, lucky for them they didn't get into an accident (I assume car is insured out of SC), insurance could have denied the claim too. Yeah, they saved money for a few years but at what cost?
I fully agree.

Quote:
Person has no common sense. Why did he say he was living in NJ? If the car is registered in SC he should have said he lives in SC. Also he should have an SC license since you usually can't register a car in a state unless you are licensed in that state

Let's just say i know a person who has been doing this for 7 years also in a sitaution. Person has license and registration in one state while really living in another. Cops can't do anything if you say, I am visting my aunt, my in-laws, on vacation, shopping for a home etc etc etc.

This person is now facing insurance fraud issues, most likey will be dropped, and at worst could face criminal charges if the insurance company wants to pursue it. Improper registration and insurance coverage I am guessing. Good luck with that NJ is one of the toughest in the nation on this. Most likely will have to register and insure the car in NJ to get it out. I am assuming his license is good since he didn't get arrested.

All he had to do was say he lives in SC. If you're gonna break the law at least know what you're doing. SMH
9 outta 10 from what i hear you're right. Might have to register and insure the car in NJ to get it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
I believe student (full time) are only people who can use different state license plate and live there more than 6mo at a time.

I won't go as far as insurance fraud, but it is true that insurance might deny the major claims. (People usually do not have actuary algorithm software to calculate which state is cheaper or expensive).

There are massive amount of "rich folks" who has lots of property in different states, and stays longer than they claims to be a resident of that state, but they get away with it often.
For ex: WA resident staying at Jacksonhole Wyoming or Eagle Colorado for more than 6mo, and still claims to be WA resident.

The person who got impounded most likely have to pay fines, and get the car back from impound lot at extra lot charges.

This law is pain in the ass for people who has more than 1 properties in different states.
Sadly, my mom had to change the license plate on a same vehicle 6times in 4years. (around 2002-2006) She wanted to live in CA for 8mo, and CO for a year after.
Yea the person is def gonna pay. Smh.

I've lived in NJ all my life and lord knows this state will suck you dry for motor vehicle related situations such as this. Thanks for the responses
      09-17-2014, 12:28 AM   #6
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

People act all innocent but there are hotlines now to report insurance fraud. i know someone who got caught in CT because there is a property tax on motor vehicles. So why not register his BMW where his dad lives. Dumb move. It's too bad smart people get caught in these white collar crimes. Also know someone who lived in NYC but car was registered elsewhere. NO COMP COVERAGE by his insurance when his car was broken into.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 12:31 AM   #7
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
He admitted to the police officer that he has lived in NJ for 3 years. If that makes into a report to the insurance company they can pursue fraud charges. Whether they will is another matter, just a possibility.

I am also pretty sure they will either drop him or hit him with a retroactive bill with the NJ rate for all that time.

Once the insurance companies start ripping into you its a slippery slope that rarely gets better.
These type of people live in a bubble. They go to renew their passport with an out-of-state license and suddenly the Postal clerk is turning them in and going on a trip to another country is the least of their troubles. I don't get why people think it's "ok" and rules actually laws don't apply to them, just everybody else?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 12:33 AM   #8
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bga23 View Post
The real fraud that will cost some time, is when the state they live in has a use or property tax based on the value of the vehicle. Like CT, MA, VA, etc. Some people take it as far as filing income tax in that other state. hard to believe all that fraud over what, a small amt. of money?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 08:54 AM   #9
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:

Actually, you only have to register the car in the state which you declare as your permanent residence. Yes student and Military folks are automatically exempt for getting a licence or registration in the state where they are going to school or on a military base.

As you also pointed out rich people have properties all over the place and live there longer than the 30 day requirement to apply as residence and get license and car register. However, what the police will not tell you is you are not required to register your car and get a new state license unless you can show your permanent residence is somewhere else. How do you do that, it based on your Federal tax return and where you pay the majority of state taxes. There was time where you were able to have a drivers license in more than one state. I have one in PA and CA at the same time back in the late 80's. I have my PA license move to Calif and they issue me a new CA license and did not require me to give them the PA one.

Today because of 9-11 and other things it is illegal to have a valid drivers license in two states at the same time. When you move and get a new license they now make you forfeit your old license.

I seen this happen before, someone moves to another state and leaves their car registered in another state for various reasons, most likely insurance costs, but they go and get a new license and when they get stop they get busted since they have documents from two states with the same persons name on them. If you are going to play this game, you need to make sure all your paper work is order and everything matches up.

Anyway I know people who live in PA and spend half a year in other places and all their stuff is registered in PA and they file their taxes in PA. From time to time they get the hey you have property and live in this state and you need to become a resident, and they have to go through the whole thing of no they do not. There are not requirement in order to live and own property in a state you must be a resident. Again you can not be a legal resident in two states, only one at a time.

Last edited by Maestro; 09-17-2014 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #10
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
The real fraud that will cost some time, is when the state they live in has a use or property tax based on the value of the vehicle. Like CT, MA, VA, etc. Some people take it as far as filing income tax in that other state. hard to believe all that fraud over what, a small amt. of money?
To be fair... my state has this and I pay significantly for this every year... and I can in every single way say that this use/personal property tax is a scam of the highest degree... especially when your roads have potholes the size of craters, you get blown tire after tire and the idiots that run the state could care less. Honestly, if I could, I would make a 60 minute special on this.
      09-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #11
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Yeah, I had no idea what a property tax was until I got to NC. I had a nice bill in the mail for $400 after I purchased the BMW. I asked my coworker what the fuck that was all about, said everyone in NC has to pay property and road tax.

I have yet to register my bike from MI to NC.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #12
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
To be fair... my state has this and I pay significantly for this every year... and I can in every single way say that this use/personal property tax is a scam of the highest degree... especially when your roads have potholes the size of craters, you get blown tire after tire and the idiots that run the state could care less. Honestly, if I could, I would make a 60 minute special on this.
But you're paying it, which is the right thing to do. Paying it legally and grudgingly.

I have a friend who got caught in CT because a disgruntled neighbor turned him in. Was it worth it? Have your career in jeopardy because of insurance and registration fraud? How many BMWs and motorcycles do you think you can register in another state before people notice?

If I had to pay such a tax, seriously, I would consider the price of the vehicle in my buying decision....
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #13
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

I paid $1044 to register my new BMW in NH for ~14 months - granted, I didn't have to pay sales tax on the car, and it dropped to $6xx the next year based on depreciation.
I pay $3-400 personal property tax for my BMW in VA now. But registration for 2 years was like $140.

Last edited by PSUSMU; 09-18-2014 at 08:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #14
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Calif is another state with a Tax on car registration, it decrease as the car ages and it % of the cars value each year.

Again I like living in PA only cost $36 to register the car each year, if you least you only pay tax on the monthly least amount not the whole value of the car new. PA systems is fair an proportional to what you get.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #15
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

I believe CO has one of the most expensive state to register the vehicle.
It costed me about $110 to register 1999 Toyota Avalon w/ 180k ish miles.
      09-17-2014, 06:30 PM   #16
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
I believe CO has one of the most expensive state to register the vehicle.
It costed me about $110 to register 1999 Toyota Avalon w/ 180k ish miles.

That we do. I just paid the annual registration on my '88 325is which was $70.