BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Vancouver has the WORST drivers

06-29-2016, 02:33 PM   #23
bspears
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3E93

Whatever city this is. ENJOY

06-30-2016, 09:13 AM   #24
zer0cool
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Was just there for a few days last week. Didn't feel drivers were bad... instead, the roads are bad. They are narrow and crowded, leading to irritation. I really missed the USA while driving in Vancouver. Even the shitty roads around Seattle felt better after driving a few days in Vancouver.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 03:15 AM   #25
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Vancouver may have some bad drivers, but it's a beautiful city.
Appreciate 1
      07-06-2016, 07:45 AM   #26
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2016, 03:43 AM   #27
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
For the Lazy

For the lazy:
Quote:
A video of a brutal parking job has led Vancouver police to a teenager without a driver's licence who appears to have panicked after striking a parked car with his mom's "borrowed" Porsche Cayenne. The two-minute long video, taken by a neighbour, shows the motoring equivalent of putting a square peg in a round hole as the teen tries desperately to force the luxury vehicle past the walls of a narrow garage.

It ends with part of the $60,000-plus car's undercarriage lying on the ground.

"It was a bad decision to start with and then a decision made much worse by not taking responsibility," said VPD Const. Brian Montague. "He's lucky he's not facing criminal charges." Montague said police instead have charged the teenager with offences under the Motor Vehicle Act including driving without a licence and hit and run of a parked car.

The incident occurred on June 16 at about 11 a.m on West 32nd Avenue between Oak and Granville streets. Montague said the teen's mother was out of town at the time, and he appears to have decided to take her car out for a ride.

Police received a report of a white Porsche Cayenne striking a parked car, but it wasn't until someone forwarded them the video that they managed to connect the dots. The car's licence plate is exposed for some time.

"We would have eventually connected all the dots," Montague said. "But the video made it much simpler."

Montague said even police officers were stunned by the depths of the teen's driving inability.

"It clearly shows someone panicking," he said. "Someone who doesn't know what to do."

Montague said the teen would have received a $276 ticket for driving without a licence had he remained at the scene.

Instead, he now has to deal with insurers, ICBC — and the wrath of his mom.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 10:50 AM   #28
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
Which, much like my hometown of Sydney, is beginning to mean fuck all because you cannot afford to live there.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 11:23 AM   #29
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Which, much like my hometown of Sydney, is beginning to mean fuck all because you cannot afford to live there.
Well worth the premium not to be living in Toronto!
Appreciate 2
      07-20-2016, 04:49 AM   #30
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 M3

Speaking of "permanent left lane drivers" where else in the US do people actually follow this? After driving in Europe (more specifically Switzerland,Germany and Austria) its amazing how just about everyone follows this concept.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 10:08 AM   #31
StatenEye
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M F85

Garage List
2016 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW X5M  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger Kim View Post
Speaking of "permanent left lane drivers" where else in the US do people actually follow this? After driving in Europe (more specifically Switzerland,Germany and Austria) its amazing how just about everyone follows this concept.
I really just don't understand why this is not followed. People can be so inconsiderate and distracted while driving it makes me want to smash their faces on the steering wheel to wake them up. I'm at my wits end with passing these cretins to see them; A. On cell phones, B. Slouched down nearly sleeping. C. Oblivious to the fact they are operating a vehicle WHILE OTHERS ARE ON THE ROAD!

Oh how distracted / selfish / inconsiderate drivers make me rage.

Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      07-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #32
Fahrvergnügen
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: geo metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Lol, worst drivers in the world? Not even close kid. You want the worst, go to the source...China!
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
Come to NYC and you'll see what BAD driving really is
Quote:
Originally Posted by neliconcept View Post
NJ too. I live in Jersey City, and used to live in Brooklyn. Fcuk that shit!
NYC/NJ is actually not that bad. It is just city driving with a bunch of cabs. NJ is just filled with anger. I've driven extensively in both places for work and as long as you have GPS and don't get lost, it is just like Chicago or Dallas... Most people who think driving in the states is bad have never driven or been driven outside of the US / Western Europe.

Certain places of China are bad like Beijing or Guangzhou but Hong Kong is more palatable... just like Singapore / Seoul. I've either driven or been driven in these cities. The way drivers in Beijing (where my wife is from) drive when scooters/bicycles are present would be illegal in the states whereas there it is commonplace. Vancouver is no different, driven there and actually got pulled over for going through a red light at the last moment. The video is an exaggeration of what is commonplace.

Worst place for driving... check out Cairo or large cities in India
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #33
qocerhuang
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2019 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
Come to NYC and you'll see what BAD driving really is
people try to hit my car, and I really want to hit their car.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 03:55 PM   #34
Donger Kim
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 M3

People in From Washington state drive very passively/too friendly, Sortve my only complaint. Of course slower traffic does not move over to the right lol
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 04:07 PM   #35
metblkbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 Bmw 1M

Garage List
2011 bmw  [0.00]
Probably should have started with a Toyota, but maybe money isn't an issue. Nice to help support Porsche though!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 05:32 PM   #36
the dope steez
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

No real sample size to speak of, but I absolutely agree that Vancouver drivers (and BC drivers in general) are the absolute worst. Forget about fast lane/slow lane, that's just not a concept 90% of people even entertain let alone adhere to... In Alberta we have our fair share of idiots absolutely, but for the most part people are courteous about driving in the right lane for their speed.
Another place I was in recently where the drivers are absolutely brutal - Chicago. I dunno what kind of distracted driving laws you Americans have but I swear about half the drivers I looked over at were messing around on their phone while negotiating rush hour traffic... It's a real problem!
Unless you are deathly afraid of driving, the less congested parts of Europe are the best places to drive. It's organized chaos for sure but people are mostly courteous and understand the flow of traffic and how not to f it up, plus they drive fast.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 11:47 AM   #37
two+2
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP Grey Black

Vancouver drivers have no concept of fast/lane slow lane because most city folk rarely drive on highways. There is no 'interstate' to speak of that runs through or across the city.

I did a recent run Vancouver to Whistler and I will say on the way up on a Friday evening, everyone was courteous and moved out of my way.

I don't think its highway driving etiquette that is the issue. Its all the N drivers that have no concept of U-turns or detours and decide to bust a right turn from a left turning lane that gets me. - Didn't they check the GPS option when they purchased that G63?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 05:21 PM   #38
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

I'm surprised how bad drivers from Seattle are. My cars in Brazil were nearly ding-less. My new car has only 4 weeks and I already got a mini ding on my bumper. It's probably something I can polish out, but it's still annoying.

I park in garages every day to avoid cheap drivers, but still I got that scratch from a careless driver.
I'm Asian but I am actually from Brazil.
Believe it or not, that kind of thing is rare in Brazil, especially in covered public parking (people who are willing to pay more for better parking are also more careful).The last accident I had was in 2007 and it wasn't my fault.

I sold my 2011 Fiesta with flawless rims, bumpers, etc.

Last edited by rainfall; 07-21-2016 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 06:21 PM   #39
DfVgyCjmFQnu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i Auto Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger Kim View Post
People in From Washington state drive very passively/too friendly, Sortve my only complaint. Of course slower traffic does not move over to the right lol
Seattle area Washington state drivers are far worse than Vancouver, BC drivers...I've never seen worse drivers in any state of the union. They will drive 50mph in the fast lane, and they get butthurt if you pass them in the slow lane. If you honk at them or flash your lights at them you are invading their "safe space" and its as if you murdered their puppy. They have no idea how to merge from on and off ramps, and will stop for any j-walker even if it means causing a traffic accident behind them. If you even look at them while standing on the sidewalk, they will stop for you. Just weak, spineless drivers...fits the bill of weak and spineless Democrats that most of them are.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 06:46 PM   #40
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Portland has some scary drivers too. I got T boned last year by an Asian lady...she was baffled that she hit me because her GPS said go straight...she overlooked the traffic light which she just didn't comprehend. Oregon will give anyone a drivers license. Thank god it was my company car.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 08:54 PM   #41
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

So, was on the Upper Levels today doing a day trip to Bowen Island and every single left lane hog that refused to move over had Alberta, California, or Washington plates. BC plates? No issue, no problem.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2016, 04:31 PM   #42
schrdngrsct
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
I have been saying it for years. Vancouver simply has the worst drivers in the world. Its not just that there have been thousands of cases of licenses being sold, or in some cases 1 license being shared by a whole family. The fact is the basic care or ability to drive seems very absent in my part of the world. It didnt used to be this bad, but over the last 20 years has progressively got worse. I have witnessed more times then I can count passengers getting out of cars to direct drivers into parallel parking spots big enough to land jets in.

Permanent left lane drivers, no signals, and a general complete obliviousness to surroundings is the general theme in my city.

Think your city is bad? Beat this.
It boggles the mind how some people got so wealthy when it appears there's only a bean or two in their noggin self-driving cars can't come sooner for some...
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 06:30 PM   #43
rainfall
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: A

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrdngrsct View Post
It boggles the mind how some people got so wealthy when it appears there's only a bean or two in their noggin self-driving cars can't come sooner for some...
lol I agree
I hope these self-driving respect turn signals, because Seattlelies have no idea what that means. They rush the gas pedal thinking "nonono you won't slow me down, not even a hair"
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 09:28 PM   #44
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Blame it on the government who give these people driver licenses. Driving tests should be more grueling, and more intense.
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00