BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Has Anyone had Problems with the F20?

11-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #133
joppi
Registered
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F20 120d

Had mine 120dA since 2011 its 30,000 km on the clock,
And yesterday to my surprise i found oil leak in the rear diffrential!! drove it to the dealer and he told me its the cover gasket that needs to be replaced.
Going to update when i get the car back!
And of course rust under seatbase... Rear brakes counting down service km way to fast but the brakes are in good condition.(they can feel little bit hard) Is there any fix for it? Never tried pulling the battery out maybe that will set it right?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #134
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

[QUOTE=Blaggy;12931447]sort out the control display brightness fading in and out as I'm driving along.
Can't see a sensor for the display but it must have one as this only happens in daylight and whilst moving[QUOTE]

I knew it!!!

I had a 116i courtesy car that I was sure did that but couldnt be certain if it was just my imagination!!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 03:02 AM   #135
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 116i (F20) Auto

Garage List
Yesterday I went to my dealer for an oil change and the yearly check up. I mentioned the 2 issues I have: Rear brake sensors showing false info (100.000kms!!!) and the steering wheel squeaking.

1. For the brake pads, and update of the firmware was needed and then they registered manually the remaining mm's of the brake pads, in order for the system to do a re-calculation. Now it is working fine. Also, the value for the front brake pads changed, as the older firmware was affecting all the sensors.

2. The squeak in the steering wheel was cured by lubricating the steering column. If the problems returns, they will have to change the column (under warranty).

Also, there is one more firmware upadate needed, but I will do it at another time.
2005-07: BMW 325ti (E46)
2004-05: BMW 318i (E36)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #136
Verglas
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i Sport

Anyone had problems with the hands free MIC. For some reason mine has stopped working...everything else works fine but no one can hear me.....wife reckons they are lucky but .....

Stu
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #137
Blaggy
England
Rep
Drives: F20 116ED Sparkling Bronze

[QUOTE=orcomma;12988657][QUOTE=Blaggy;12931447]sort out the control display brightness fading in and out as I'm driving along.
Can't see a sensor for the display but it must have one as this only happens in daylight and whilst moving
Quote:

I knew it!!!

I had a 116i courtesy car that I was sure did that but couldnt be certain if it was just my imagination!!
Didn't think I'd be the only one with this problem! Got fobbed off today that its because of the weather, rubbish I said, will collect car tomorrow to see if its better, if not its going back again.
Oh and the rust they'd not seen before and because its steel it will rust, I then launched into them that thats not what i expect from a premium german car manufacturer, i do not expect nor will put up with rust anywhere, they suggested i wrote to BMW!
my wife's F20 is the same with the rust, was going to get hers sorted after but looks like battle has commenced.
They have done a 3 hour software update, maybe that might make the seat bases cure themselves.....but at least I will have an accurate brake pad sensor reading so that's a result!
The brand new courtesy pimped up X1 they gave me was pretty nice, maybe ill get rid of the F20!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #138
valentinbmw
Second Lieutenant
Chile
Rep
Drives: M3, F80

Garage List
hey guys i used to have an 116 i sport, i had it for 6 month and i had a lot of issues with the turbo, and the glove compartment, overall the car is good but is was way to soft for me, so i bought a brand new 135 i, and is a totally diferent story, i don´t know about the new m 135 i hatchback witch looks pretty awesome.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #139
watchhok
Private
Rep
Drives: F20 135iA

today they changed the expansionreservoir for coolantliquid.

The dealer told me that the connection between this and a plug is wellknown for leakage for the 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 01:39 AM   #140
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 116i (F20) Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchhok View Post
The dealer told me that the connection between this and a plug is wellknown for leakage for the 1 series.
Yep...it is a known problem, affecting a lot of F20's.
2005-07: BMW 325ti (E46)
2004-05: BMW 318i (E36)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 05:00 AM   #141
Penders
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 Series (F20)

Garage List

So after 9 months of joyful ownership my 1er has broken. It came up with drivetrain error and lost all power. BMW assist came out and took it to the dealers 4 days ago, but they can't find the problem...

They did find a cracked spark plug casing??! But think something is a miss with the timing...

Lets hope it's fixed soon, as I've been given a Seat Leon Eco flex diesel thing as a replacement until they can source a BMW for me!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #142
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenyaman View Post
Am I the weirdo here?
Flawless F20 up to now... Touch wood!

Same here

Only issue was the under seat rusty spots (fixed by dealer straight away)
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #143
Penders
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 Series (F20)

Garage List
So my car is now fixed

They identified a faulty Vanos solanoid as the problem. Hopefully it will be all good from now on.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #144
washout04
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanis View Post
Yesterday I went to my dealer for an oil change and the yearly check up. I mentioned the 2 issues I have: Rear brake sensors showing false info (100.000kms!!!) and the steering wheel squeaking.

1. For the brake pads, and update of the firmware was needed and then they registered manually the remaining mm's of the brake pads, in order for the system to do a re-calculation. Now it is working fine. Also, the value for the front brake pads changed, as the older firmware was affecting all the sensors.

2. The squeak in the steering wheel was cured by lubricating the steering column. If the problems returns, they will have to change the column (under warranty).

Also, there is one more firmware upadate needed, but I will do it at another time.
I wonder if BMW just use crappy brake sensors. On our mini, the rears were worn pretty thin without any heads up from the sensors. Then when we took it in to get serviced, they said the brakes were so worn they damaged the sensor. So what is the point of having sensors in the first place?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #145
swooshie22
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20 118i M Sport

This is my first post here...hello! Here's my horrific story regarding my F20.

Penders, you may want to read this through as you seem to have a similar issue to what I have had....

I bought a 118i M Sport delivered in March 2012. Upon reaching 5000 miles, I got the drivetrain warning and lost power. BMW could not identify the problem... The error code repeatedly returned and before I realised, I had made 8 trips to BMW in a matter of 3 months. Here's a list of what happened. It was initially thought that a software update was needed (didn't work). They then worked on the VANOS timing twice which didn't work so changed the VANOS unit altogether. The error code always revolved around the VANOS and work was therefore focused in this area. In September, I returned to the dealer yet again. They still could not figure what the problem was after 3 weeks. Eventually, the cylinder head cover and computer management system were replaced. However, the car had already spent 5 weeks consecutively at the dealer, causing my frustration to peak. I calculated that in total, I had made 10 trips to the dealer and the car had spent over 2 months in service. I therefore had no option, but to reject the car. Surprisingly, BMW accepted within 24 hours suggesting that they must have truly agreed that this was a faulty car.

I have now ordered a new one... However, the thought of getting anther 118i with the N13 engine was unimaginable so ended upgrading to the 125i M Sport. Delivery in early Jan. Penders, please keep me informed on your situation as I would be very interested.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 10:14 AM   #146
Spitfire Sir?
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Red F20 116i Sport

So far with mine I have an unserviceable interior light (terrible poor quality button that sticks in when pushed). The stop start function has ceased to work and the worst of all, the ventilation system has a mind of its own. It goes from ice cold to volcanic hot with no intervention from myself. I have just done a hundred mile trip in the car and it is driving me mad! Has anyone else experienced this problem with the cars ventilation?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #147
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

The start/stop feature is not supposed to work when it's cold outside.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #148
Brenyaman
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: F20 120D Aut Urban

Flawless after 9000 kms. 118i auto.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 04:42 AM   #149
Spitfire Sir?
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Red F20 116i Sport

Thanks for that info ovekvam, didn't know that. Anyone else had this heater/aircon issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #150
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I thought I had some issues with the aircon, but it turned out to be me not understanding how it likes to work. I don't like wind in my face, so I closed the center vents, and switched the aircon to automagic mode. This does not really work, as it wants to use the center vents. Basically it never managed to cool down the car. With the vents open, it works fine. Also with the vents closed, and the aircon set to manually use upper and lower vents, it works.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #151
BMWF20MJC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i Sport Red.

Coolant loss

Had my car about 4 months now and had a squeak / squeal from the engine on start up and tick over, car went in and they replaced the water pump. All fixed... Until last weekend the engine coolant light appeared so called BMW assist they said I had a leak as the coolant level was about 2 inches below minimum. They was then rectified when they fixed this yesterday with a modified water pump. Just thought I should let everyone know
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #152
nigelb
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 S + BMW M4 CS

Bought my 118i Sport Auto on the 6-June-2012 as an ex demonstrator. Overall, I am very pleased with the car. However, I have had the following issues.

1. Coolant level light / faulty coolant resevoir - Replaced by Dealer
2. Recall with regards to upgrade for the FEM. Cures a problem with wipers I think. - This was done as part of the fix for number 1.
3. Rear Brake pad sensor was telling me the rear pads needed replacing after 12k miles - again dealer said pads were 5% used and reset ECU
4. Drivers Electric Window Button sometimes loses its auto up and down ability - a quick stop/start fixes this though, can't be bothered to go back to dealer I will get them to check when it next goes in for a service.

I am doing around 700 miles a week and I am getting about 40mpg - (Basically I do one lap of the M25 every day as part of my commute)

The car is very quiet and the ride is good on the Winter run/flats. I do regret not getting a car with Xenon Lights though, the Standard Halogen ones are pretty inadequate (relative I know) I took the trouble to upgrade to the BMW Performance Halogen Bulb but they are still quite woeful.

You live and learn. I would definitely have another F20/F21 but I am a bit clearer on the specification I would/would not have and I am not sure I would go for another N13 Engine either.

All the best
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #153
papertiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F11, F36

Have had our 116i M sport Estoril blue for about 9 weeks now, and we are more than pleased with it. Have a couple of minor issues:

1. Brake squeeling, but only sometimes (not in cold weather, but when it rains). Not as regular as before, when it squeeled everytime I used the brakes. (have an appointment at the dealer next week).
2. Coolant level switch/sensor living it's own life. Filled 4 liters on the tank, and after two days the low coolant-sign came back. The day after it was gone, but a day or two after that it was there again. (it comes on when I start the car, and it stands on the same spot every time - flat surface, so no impact from driving on twisty roads or up/down hills).

Otherwise - great car!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #154
nigelb
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 S + BMW M4 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertiger View Post
...2. Coolant level switch/sensor living it's own life. Filled 4 liters on the tank, and after two days the low coolant-sign came back. The day after it was gone, but a day or two after that it was there again. (it comes on when I start the car, and it stands on the same spot every time - flat surface, so no impact from driving on twisty roads or up/down hills).

Otherwise - great car!
That is a known fault - take it back to your dealer and they will fit a new reservoir and/or sensor.
Appreciate 0