BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Auto Insurance Question

04-17-2014, 10:05 PM   #1
wakeboarder109
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: in High Country

Auto Insurance Question

So a few weeks back I slid into a ditch and cracked the front bumper and kinked the left fender on my Honda Accord. The car is a year and a half old but is a '13 so still fairly new. It's not a huge deal but since i take customers out for work I would rather have the car fixed properly. I have an estimate from the shop I'd like to have fix it and the bumper, fender repaint and its roughly $1,500.00.

To anyone who has ever filed an accident with their insurance company, how much would rates go up for a minor repair like this? I have never had an accident but just switched to USAA within the last few months. My deductible is $500 as I am very careful with my cars. Should I just pay it out of pocket and call it a day?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 10:13 PM   #2
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Pay it out of pocket.

The differential is only $1000. That means if your rate goes up by more than $333/yr over 3 years, the insurance claim will have cost you more than paying out of pocket.

You will have an accident on your record for the next 3 years (or is it longer?) if you report it, so rates will go up and so will renewals even at a different company. If you want to know by how much, get a quote from another insurer for research purposes, first with no accident, then with an accident.

Maybe someone with some experience can post how much their rates went up. Generally though for only a grand (because you'd be out the remaining $500 no matter what), I would just suck it up and pay it out of pocket.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
wakeboarder109
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632
Pay it out of pocket.

The differential is only $1000. That means if your rate goes up by more than $333/yr over 3 years, the insurance claim will have cost you more than paying out of pocket.

You will have an accident on your record for the next 3 years (or is it longer?) if you report it, so rates will go up and so will renewals even at a different company. If you want to know by how much, get a quote from another insurer for research purposes, first with no accident, then with an accident.

Maybe someone with some experience can post how much their rates went up. Generally though for only a grand (because you'd be out the remaining $500 no matter what), I would just suck it up and pay it out of pocket.
I would be surprised if it went up $333/yr but I could be wrong. I'm leaning towards just paying it cash but would like some feedback from anyone with some experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 08:32 AM   #4
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

Ask on the Honda forums. I'm sure they have had similar experiences.

All I can say your lucky it was not your bimmer.

Last edited by bimmerfrk; 04-18-2014 at 08:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Like I said, get a quote with and without, and you'll get an idea of the difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #6
glhs379
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

At fault accident surcharges r state regulated. It is a percentage of the premium but u will not know until your next renewal how much. I am an underwriter for over 10 years and have had them range from 100 to 300. But that is only 1 time increase not every renewalt thereafter
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Pay out of pocket.

Here's my experience: A few years ago I was in an accident with my Exige. The claim was right around $30k. They paid the entire thing and my premium barely changed. About six months later I hit a giant buck with my DD Altima SE-R. That claim was about $3k. My rates went through the roof. NOT because of the Lotus accident, but because I had two accidents in close succession which, regardless of the dollar amounts, put me into a high risk category as the frequency of incidents increased. Had I paid for the Altima accident out of pocket, I don't think my rates would have increased nearly as much as they did. My insurance company actually told me that was the case as well. Lesson learned.

Also, you're wasting money by having a low ($500) deductible. You should always pay out of pocket for any incident under $2k anyway so it makes sense to have a $1k-2k deductible and save yourself a nice chunk on premiums.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #8
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Pay out of pocket.

Here's my experience: A few years ago I was in an accident with my Exige. The claim was right around $30k. They paid the entire thing and my premium barely changed. About six months later I hit a giant buck with my DD Altima SE-R. That claim was about $3k. My rates went through the roof. NOT because of the Lotus accident, but because I had two accidents in close succession which, regardless of the dollar amounts, put me into a high risk category as the frequency of incidents increased. Had I paid for the Altima accident out of pocket, I don't think my rates would have increased nearly as much as they did. My insurance company actually told me that was the case as well. Lesson learned.

Also, you're wasting money by having a low ($500) deductible. You should always pay out of pocket for any incident under $2k anyway so it makes sense to have a $1k-2k deductible and save yourself a nice chunk on premiums.
That last part is excellent advise, thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
wakeboarder109
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Pay out of pocket.

That is definitely understandable. I will definitely look into raising the deductible and see what kind of difference that will make. Thanks for the tip.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #10
wakeboarder109
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by glhs379 View Post
At fault accident surcharges r state regulated. It is a percentage of the premium but u will not know until your next renewal how much. I am an underwriter for over 10 years and have had them range from 100 to 300. But that is only 1 time increase not every renewalt thereafter
Just to clarify, if I'm paying $400 right now my next renewal may go up a given amount for that renewal but then the premium should drop back to the previous rate?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboarder109 View Post
Just to clarify, if I'm paying $400 right now my next renewal may go up a given amount for that renewal but then the premium should drop back to the previous rate?
Yes, but it'll take 3-5 years to do so. For example, GEICO looks at a five year driving history while most others only look at three. If you have GEICO and they raise your rates, ditch them after three years and find another provider.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0