BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Adaptive brake lights, what does it look like?

03-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #1
Ossman
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

Garage List
Adaptive brake lights, what does it look like?

Has anyone tested them? There are a few variants, so I'm curious as to what the F20 does. Haven't been able to find anything on the net, and I've yet to be bored enough to set up a test myself.
      03-05-2013, 01:04 AM   #2
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '15 F30 328i '15 F12 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossman View Post
Has anyone tested them? There are a few variants, so I'm curious as to what the F20 does. Haven't been able to find anything on the net, and I've yet to be bored enough to set up a test myself.
The regular brake lights flash a few times and then stay on (no additional lights turn on like older bm's) and the hazard lights turn on when the car comes to a stop.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 01:12 AM   #3
Ossman
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

Garage List
I guess it isn't one of those strobe like flashes as we have regular halogens for the brake lights[1]?

Do you notice it is doing this from inside the car? E.g. does it light up all turn signals, and/or show the turn signal indicators on the dash?

[1] Seriously BMW?
      03-05-2013, 01:28 AM   #4
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

You can't see the strobing from inside the car, but you see the emergency flash working if you brake hard almost to a full stop.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 03:38 AM   #5
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '15 F30 328i '15 F12 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossman
I guess it isn't one of those strobe like flashes as we have regular halogens for the brake lights[1]?

Do you notice it is doing this from inside the car? E.g. does it light up all turn signals, and/or show the turn signal indicators on the dash?

[1] Seriously BMW?
No it just flashes 3 times or so then stays on, enough to get the attention of the driver behind you (maybe) and then the hazard lights flash if the car comes to almost a stop. They show up on the instruments the same as if you had pushed the button. To turn them off you either need to push the button or release the brake.

You can't see it from inside the cabin unless you would normally be able to see a reflection of your brake lights , on certain models like the x1 you can see the 3rd brake light turn on at night, quite irritating actually.

Still, an improvement on the first generation of BMW adaptive brake lights which just lit up an additional area, hardly noticeable and noticeable at all only to people who knew what the normal brake lights should look like and knew what the additional lights meant.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:21 AM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

People driving behind me on race tracks always comment to me about the brake lights back in the depot, so they seem to be very noticeable on the F20.
Appreciate 0