BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Did they fix the security on the F20?

10-28-2015, 12:19 PM   #1
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Did they fix the security on the F20?

The E9X had issues with key cloning via the OBD II port. Has this now been addressed on the F20?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 12:14 PM   #2
neilwilliams
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 116iSE

I believe BMW's statements on the matter said that it was resolved for all Fxx cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 01:04 PM   #3
pochetemix
Private
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i F20 and Cayenne V6.

Don't think so...
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 07:33 AM   #4
padders
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

There may still be issues, the OBD port will always be a weak spot but I find it hard to understand how they can clone a key when there is no longer a key slot on the F cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 02:51 PM   #5
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by padders
There may still be issues, the OBD port will always be a weak spot but I find it hard to understand how they can clone a key when there is no longer a key slot on the F cars.
The key slot on the E9X only serves two purposes. To recharge the key and connect to the immobiliser. I am guessing on the new ones the immobiliser has a stronger range. There are loads of videos of how this is done without the need for a slot.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 12:54 AM   #6
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

No key slot on my F20
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 01:29 AM   #7
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Manufacturers really need to start taking advantage of IT. Why not use 128 bit encryption. My work laptop.... I can only access the intranet/VPN outside the work place with a secure RSA token/key code. It is a rolling code and something like that would work surely? They could take it as far as they wanted and offer the security minded an ultimate package where if you lose the two keys then you lose the car as in you need a new RSA token configuration as the key cannot be cloned. What has happened as we all know is that the technology has fallen into unsavoury hands due to various competition and trading laws. So why not have one central worldwide hub? You have to apply to them directly for a new key.. You need to produce 3-4 forms of ID and the cost runs into the 1000s... May be that would even stop some owners from being careless with their keys. Or even... Code different modules in unique ways so even if a thief cracked one module he'd have to decipher the rest of them and it would not be worth the time of day trying to figure it out. Or even have a 2-3 key set up.. So the owner holds a RSA key that matches and another key and both need to be present to communicate with the car but again my guess is that owners would keep the two together or find it too much work. Random thoughts probably not even making any sense.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2015, 10:36 PM   #8
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

I think carmakers are struggling already to cope with supporting some f the technology put into cars. Just be minded anything they do in vehicle security would need to be something that, for example, Roadside Assist can deal with, in the event of battery failure or similar.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 08:43 PM   #9
dishy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken_Gearbox View Post
Manufacturers really need to start taking advantage of IT. Why not use 128 bit encryption. My work laptop.... I can only access the intranet/VPN outside the work place with a secure RSA token/key code. It is a rolling code and something like that would work surely? .
I assumed this was already in play for keyfobs? My Avital system on my car in England has this kind of security. The manual says the key codes change every time you press a keyfob button. The Avital system is crap. I'd expect BMW to implement security like this or better.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #10
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dishy
Quote:
Manufacturers really need to start taking advantage of IT. Why not use 128 bit encryption. My work laptop.... I can only access the intranet/VPN outside the work place with a secure RSA token/key code. It is a rolling code and something like that would work surely? .
I assumed this was already in play for keyfobs? My Avital system on my car in England has this kind of security. The manual says the key codes change every time you press a keyfob button. The Avital system is crap. I'd expect BMW to implement security like this or better.
No they are quite lacking. While we do have rolling codes these are not the highest encryption standards. They could do so much more. Nothing is completely secure. Thieves always catch up.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 01:00 AM   #11
dishy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
No they are quite lacking. While we do have rolling codes these are not the highest encryption standards. They could do so much more. Nothing is completely secure. Thieves always catch up.
Need some AES256 in there
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2016, 02:53 PM   #12
marilenamr
Registered
Rep
Drives: 116i

Hello, I am the owner of a 116i 2012,just had my car break into, no damage what so ever. I wasn't aware of the danger and how easy is to steal a keyless car. I had made a lot of research and the story line goes like this: they jam the key signal when you lock the car so it leaves a door unlocked( what happened to me) and then they get into your car copies through ODB your car keys, and then they leave giving you the impression was a failed robbery. I found my drivers door open and the rest doors closed so the possibility of me forgetting to close the door is IMPOSSIBLE. After they produce the key they come back and leaves with your car. It's that easy!
I did reasearch on the internet, they don't need more than 3 minutes to steal the car, there are real videos online. I read police reports, it's so so easy plus BMW are very popular and desired .
I bought a wheel lock, planing to buy additional alarm system and tomorrow I am going at the BMW to see if there is a solution to what just happened to my car, although they said the hackers will always find a way to hack their system!
So be aware, take extra precaution so you avoid stressful situations!
Appreciate 0