BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 6NK - Enhanced BT with USB Audio

02-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #1
robomonkey
Rep
Drives: F20 120D Auto

6NK - Enhanced BT with USB Audio

Hi All

Just about to order a 120D SE but the only thing I can't figure out is the ipod connections.

I would like to ideally connect an ipod classic, or failing that a 64GB USB stick. Do I need to order 6NK?

I've asked two sales people at my local dealers, and got completely different answers, I also had a test drive in a 118D Urban which just had the USB port and AUX connector, but that would connect the ipod using an Apple cable (USB stick did work though).

I'm not keen on using the AUX connector becuase I'm worried out white noise, especially as I'm plannng to also order the HK speakers.

Any help, or explaination on what 6NK actually is would be apprecated.

Thanks

Mark
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
me11ada
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series F20 118D Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by robomonkey
Hi All

Just about to order a 120D SE but the only thing I can't figure out is the ipod connections.

I would like to ideally connect an ipod classic, or failing that a 64GB USB stick. Do I need to order 6NK?

I've asked two sales people at my local dealers, and got completely different answers, I also had a test drive in a 118D Urban which just had the USB port and AUX connector, but that would connect the ipod using an Apple cable (USB stick did work though).

I'm not keen on using the AUX connector becuase I'm worried out white noise, especially as I'm plannng to also order the HK speakers.

Any help, or explaination on what 6NK actually is would be apprecated.

Thanks

Mark
Hiya, I had the same issue, and in the end ordered the 6NK pack, mine arrives in the next 7days so hopefully will be able to clarify things.....
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
robomonkey
Rep

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I've found this to be more frustrating than trying to complete the airplane hijack on Modern Warfare 2!!

I'm amazed that something as simple as connecting an ipod can be made so difficult.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
JonF1982
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 116i Sport - Crimson Red

My understanding is that the standard USB interface allows you to plug in a USB stick.

I have the USB interface in my current E81 which i can plug an Ipod into and scroll about through the tracks so assume i'll be able to do the same when i pick the new one up a week on thursday.

To be honest i just stick to a 16gb USB stick, which cost about £20. Plugging the ipod in and out all the time is just a pain in the arse and if some bugger smashed in i dont care that much about having the USB nabbed.

P.s Glad to see you coming over from the dark side, A3 driver
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 08:53 AM   #5
JonF1982
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

That said i wonder if 6NK lets you use an Iphone/Ipod touch, as those things store thier data differently to Ipod nanos and Classics.... i bet thats it.

When my Ipod does go in, it goes in through Aux anyway so rear passengers can mess with the ipod and choose what music they want on.

Oh well if all else fails install a 3rd party tape deck and spend your nights recording songs onto your tapes, what was wrong with that?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
me11ada
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah I know what you mean, I ordered it (6NK) on the advice that I would be able to connect my iPhone via the snap in adapter and have an iPod connected in via the iPod cable/BMW apple cable - as both me and my wife have different tastes in music - but was advised that a USB stick should work..... With 6NK if my understanding is correct you can use BMW apps as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
robomonkey
Rep

Talking of my A3 (which I'm gonna miss) my ipod works fine in in this!

I'm quite keen on having the playlists, which is why I wanted to use the ipod not a usb stick. I can however see the benefits of a USB stick.

I have tried both my iphone 4S and my ipod classic with the standard Apple cable, no luck at all in the demo unit.

What does 6NK actually do?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
Johnnyr
England
Rep
Drives: F20 116D Sport (on it's way)

Hi,bit confused, can someone tell me what the standard Bluetooth,USB interface and Y cable connected will allow when connected to my iPhone
I'm hoping, I will be able to view albums,tracks and select via the idrive. In addition view telephone functions and phone book. I have an e class(pov spec,2012 model) that came as standard with a cable that plugs in to the glove compartment that allows me to do this.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
1nterested
Registered
Rep
Drives: 120d

the 6nk gives you extras such as an eject box for charging and antenna connections via a snap in adapter. you only get the extras like album art etc when you opt for a navigation option
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 03:53 PM   #10
1nterested
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robomonkey View Post
Talking of my A3 (which I'm gonna miss) my ipod works fine in in this!

I'm quite keen on having the playlists, which is why I wanted to use the ipod not a usb stick. I can however see the benefits of a USB stick.

I have tried both my iphone 4S and my ipod classic with the standard Apple cable, no luck at all in the demo unit.

What does 6NK actually do?
You need to use the bm black y lead - works in basic bluetooth too
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
1nterested
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyr View Post
Hi,bit confused, can someone tell me what the standard Bluetooth,USB interface and Y cable connected will allow when connected to my iPhone
I'm hoping, I will be able to view albums,tracks and select via the idrive. In addition view telephone functions and phone book. I have an e class(pov spec,2012 model) that came as standard with a cable that plugs in to the glove compartment that allows me to do this.
allows what you said
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #12
1nterested
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by me11ada View Post
Yeah I know what you mean, I ordered it (6NK) on the advice that I would be able to connect my iPhone via the snap in adapter and have an iPod connected in via the iPod cable/BMW apple cable - as both me and my wife have different tastes in music - but was advised that a USB stick should work..... With 6NK if my understanding is correct you can use BMW apps as well.
yes but you can't play music from the iPhone whilst its in the snap in adapter.

to use bmw apps you need pro nav and bmw apps option
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 05:05 PM   #13
robomonkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nterested View Post
You need to use the bm black y lead - works in basic bluetooth too
It sounds like I don't want 6NK then. This Y lead that everyone talks about does it provide good quality, I'm worried because its effectively just an analoge headphone connection, is it going to produce background 'noise'?

I think I'll just opt for the USB stick and leave it in the car, will this take ages to sync if I have 30gb of music? And is there a recommended 64gb stick?

Thank you very much for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 04:06 AM   #14
JonF1982
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

in my e81, the first time you put the usb stick in it takes a moment to scan the directory list but if you leave it plugged in it just comes on straight away.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #15
robomonkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonF1982 View Post
in my e81, the first time you put the usb stick in it takes a moment to scan the directory list but if you leave it plugged in it just comes on straight away.
That's great, thanks what size do you have? And do you know the model?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 06:58 AM   #16
Occean
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1 series

The y cable is better than a headphone socket as it bypasses the volume control section and is essentially a line out.

On my f20 sport I did not order any usb/ bt extras and USB stick works perfectly. As does my iPhone with a y cable. I can also use spotify but have to select albums manually unlike iPod mode.

I do not get album art and I cannot play audio (well music) over Bluetooth. Hands free is fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #17
me11ada
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nterested View Post
yes but you can't play music from the iPhone whilst its in the snap in adapter.

to use bmw apps you need pro nav and bmw apps option
Hello 1nterested,

Thanks for that, a bit disappointed to hear that the music won't play when the phones in the snap in adapter, but I thought that there are three types of adapters ones that do allow this and ones that don't?

i.e.
Phone Adapter
Phone and Music Adapter
Phone, Music and Media Adapter.

Let me know if i've got it wrong. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #18
plumbs
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i

6NK

Ordered my 328i F30 2012 and its being delivered monday.

I have had much confusion on what the 6NK does and doesn't as I have found out..

But had the below confirmed from Sytner :-

6NK

Enhanced Bluetooth telephone functionality with USB audio interface and Voice Control
Wireless connection for compatible Bluetooth mobile phones with the vehicle, including hands-free facility. With additional snap-in
adaptor, which must be purchased separately, includes charging function and connection to external aerial. Enables convenient
connection of an MP3 player, Apple iPod or USB memory stick in the vehicle through USB interface with operation by equipmentdependent
controls (iDrive, favourite buttons, multi-function controls for steering wheel or Voice Control) of the vehicle. Please see
www.bmw.com/bluetooth for a list of compatible mobile phones.
Extended functionality depending on the features of the Bluetooth/USB device include:
- View organiser data from the customer's mobile phone on the Control Display by pressing 'Office' from the menu
- View contact photos from the address book of the customer's mobile phone on the Control Display
- Bluetooth audio streaming
- View album covers
- Driver update for multimedia and telephony via USB audio
- At any given time, two mobile phones and one audio device can be paired via Bluetooth.

Just to add, I ordered mine thinking that I could purchase the extended media cradle that would plug in and play music...Alas NO.

£290.00 well spent?? Again NO!!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #19
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbs View Post
Ordered my 328i F30 2012 and its being delivered monday.

I have had much confusion on what the 6NK does and doesn't as I have found out..

But had the below confirmed from Sytner :-

6NK

Enhanced Bluetooth telephone functionality with USB audio interface and Voice Control
Wireless connection for compatible Bluetooth mobile phones with the vehicle, including hands-free facility. With additional snap-in
adaptor, which must be purchased separately, includes charging function and connection to external aerial. Enables convenient
connection of an MP3 player, Apple iPod or USB memory stick in the vehicle through USB interface with operation by equipmentdependent
controls (iDrive, favourite buttons, multi-function controls for steering wheel or Voice Control) of the vehicle. Please see
www.bmw.com/bluetooth for a list of compatible mobile phones.
Extended functionality depending on the features of the Bluetooth/USB device include:
- View organiser data from the customer's mobile phone on the Control Display by pressing 'Office' from the menu
- View contact photos from the address book of the customer's mobile phone on the Control Display
- Bluetooth audio streaming
- View album covers
- Driver update for multimedia and telephony via USB audio
- At any given time, two mobile phones and one audio device can be paired via Bluetooth.

Just to add, I ordered mine thinking that I could purchase the extended media cradle that would plug in and play music...Alas NO.

£290.00 well spent?? Again NO!!
and keep in mind the majority of the functionality (the office mode) doesnt work with iPhones- not BMWs fault; but still, a limitation
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 03:27 AM   #20
Patrick BMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Garage List
2016 BMW 430iAM-Sport  [0.00]
2012 125i  [9.00]
if the vehicle has bluetooth, why would i need any physical connection to play music from my iPhone?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 03:53 AM   #21
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick BMW
if the vehicle has bluetooth, why would i need any physical connection to play music from my iPhone?
Because its an extra feature. The standard Bluetooth lets you make phonecalls- enhanced let's you play music
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #22
Ralkin203
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i convertible

I just bought a 2009 certified 128i and it doesn't have a USB connection -- can something be installed that will allow me to play my music from a USB memory stick?
Appreciate 0