BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > BMW F20 CIC or NBT, retrofit important

06-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #1
Kepete
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20

BMW F20 CIC or NBT, retrofit important

Hei,

I'm looking for a used F20 and I have read this forum for a couple of days and studied retrofitting possibilities.
As I really like to work on my car and most used cars don't have the spec I would like then retrofitting is important for me.

First I have understood that there are three types of F20 infotainment system/head unit. Without the screen(how is it called?), with CIC and with NBT.

As I have searched it is easy to retrofit backup camera to NBT system. Even adding Apple car play to NBT systems is possible with a video interface module found on Aliexpress for around 200€.
But I haven't seen these video interface modules for CIC systems. To be exact, there are video interface modules for CIC, but older car with CIC systems- BMW E81 / E82 / E87. Why not F20? All of the interface boxes for F20 are for NBT head unit.

Second thought, if I get a good deal on a F20 without screen, will it be possible to add the NBT (or CIC) system to it? I see from the pictures that the climate controls are in a different place in cars without screen. Also the dash would need some drilling but it should be achievable as there physically is a place where to put the screen.
What other challenges might I face ?

Thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2018, 05:34 PM   #2
emil111
Second Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 114d

upgrading the screen can be expensive
Upgrading from radio professional (standard 6.5 screen) to nbt in germany costs around 1600 euros
Upgrading from radio business (no screen) to nbt is almost 2000 euros.....all parts used are second hand/stolen
Brand new it would cost over 5000

There are 4 types of inforainment systems on the f20
Radio business-no screen
Radio professional-6.5 screen with black trimming around it
Navigation business-6.5 screen no black trim
Navigation professional -8.8 screen

Retrofitting a rear view camera is possible on 6.5-8.8 screens,as far as i can see
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 01:55 AM   #3
Kepete
Registered
Rep
Drives: F20

Thank you Emil111 for clarification.

As I have had a look then CIC retrofitting has much fewer possibilities. For example no video interface module on aliexpress (200€), only possibility to get it from bimmer-tech and it is a lot more costly (1000+€).
Apple car play is not even done by bimmer-tech for CIC, only NBT.

But how to make sure if the car head unit is CIC or NBT before buying?
I know that there is a possibility to check it inside the menus but often it will be hard to ask the seller to do that before going to have a look myself.
Is there any year model from which upwards all are NBT?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 02:48 AM   #4
emil111
Second Lieutenant
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW 114d

CIC and NBT have different color schemes
Appreciate 0