BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M135i tuning problems

10-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
Ryanponti94
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C2 1.4 HDI 74avg mpg mmmmm

M135i tuning problems

Hello Guys, First thread i made, second post.

Firstly i know a lot of you will think your 19... why you asking.. well i have currently started saving up for a m135i will be able to get one when i am 21.

Been reading up a lot on them and had a question.

When i get one i wanted a Sportec cat back exhaust and a JB4 map.

The auto gearbox(my preference) is rated to 450nm of torque max, the car standard has 450nm of torque, but has max of around 1000nm i heard when changing from 1200 rpm in 8th to near redline in 2nd, All the maps are chucking out an extra 40-50 HP so obviously the torque has been increased, how is this affecting the auto gearbox(if anyone has an auto with a map) i know under extreme conditions the ECU monitors the temp of the gearbox and reduces torque accordingly.

Want to know what effect this will have on the lifetime of the gearbox or clutch?

Ryan
      10-17-2013, 01:21 AM   #2
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

Hey Ryan.

If you can save up to an M135i, there are other options out there that may suit your need. For example, tuning/look/drive/whatever. If you must have a BMW, then that's alright too. BMW parts are expensive, that's definitely one of my concerns, but just fyi.

Other than the possibility of your voiding warranty, lifetime for your parts are shortened. There is more wear, gearbox has their own torque ratings, so I wouldn't do anything too aggressive.

I personally recommend leaving these heavily computerized cars along. Mine is fully stock 'cause I think I got enough power already. For my case Kart driving and track driving definitely improved my driving somewhat, and that improves the speed of the car overall.

Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 02:59 AM   #3
Ryanponti94
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by westphone View Post
Hey Ryan.

If you can save up to an M135i, there are other options out there that may suit your need. For example, tuning/look/drive/whatever. If you must have a BMW, then that's alright too. BMW parts are expensive, that's definitely one of my concerns, but just fyi.

Other than the possibility of your voiding warranty, lifetime for your parts are shortened. There is more wear, gearbox has their own torque ratings, so I wouldn't do anything too aggressive.

I personally recommend leaving these heavily computerized cars along. Mine is fully stock 'cause I think I got enough power already. For my case Kart driving and track driving definitely improved my driving somewhat, and that improves the speed of the car overall.

Just my 2 cents.
Thanks for quick reply. I know these are seriously fast cars i wasnt hoping to go all out on one if i got one but i thought it would benefit from a map if an exhaust was fitted. Not fussed for more power just a louder 6 cylinder. Thats why im saving up already. Incase anything goes wrong should be able to afford the repair bill (but hopefully be under warrenty if i get it from AUC) i know this is voided by map and that.. thats why i was looking at bmw m performance exhaust.

But just wanted to know if anyone with auto and a map had had any problems.

Ryan
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 03:18 AM   #4
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanponti94 View Post
The auto gearbox(my preference) is rated to 450nm of torque max, the car standard has 450nm of torque, but has max of around 1000nm i heard when changing from 1200 rpm in 8th to near redline in 2nd,
I didn't quite understand that bit. Where is that torque of 1000 Nm? And why?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 03:32 AM   #5
Cateye
Private
Rep
Drives: M135i

Hi,

Currently using Hartge. No issue.
If u search hard enough, there are 130i with more power than our M135. Their gearbox can handle with no issue. ZF GB is good and hard to break.
There are M135 going at stage 2.

Cheera
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 03:41 AM   #6
Madgambler
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Hartge, M Xorst, Quaife, B1

Garage List
Hi,

Again using Hartge but also with the M Performance Exhaust and a Quaife diff, no real problems with torque or traction to report.

Rolling Road results say I have around 550 Nm to play with and the mechanical diff has unlocked a lot more potential around corners making the drive a lot more fun.

Driving harder exposes the body roll more though, so anti-sway bars will be next.
      10-17-2013, 03:53 AM   #7
Ryanponti94
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I didn't quite understand that bit. Where is that torque of 1000 Nm? And why?
I read somewhere it had a 1000nm max capacity for changing from 8th to 2nd. But i didnt get why this was so.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 03:56 AM   #8
Ryanponti94
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madgambler View Post
Hi,

Again using Hartge but also with the M Performance Exhaust and a Quaife diff, no real problems with torque or traction to report.

Rolling Road results say I have around 550 Nm to play with and the mechanical diff has unlocked a lot more potential around corners making the drive a lot more fun.

Driving harder exposes the body roll more though, so anti-sway bars will be next.
I have herd very good reviews about the hartge map. Did you get the map and exhaust done as a package or exhaust as standard. Im guessing the m performance exhaust doesnt require a map after fitting?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 03:57 AM   #9
Ryanponti94
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cateye View Post
Hi,

Currently using Hartge. No issue.
If u search hard enough, there are 130i with more power than our M135. Their gearbox can handle with no issue. ZF GB is good and hard to break.
There are M135 going at stage 2.

Cheera
Thanks hope there remains none. Let me know if anything happens.

Just i thought its not like bmw to fit something that is on its limit as standard.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
Madgambler
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Hartge, M Xorst, Quaife, B1

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanponti94 View Post
I have herd very good reviews about the hartge map. Did you get the map and exhaust done as a package or exhaust as standard. Im guessing the m performance exhaust doesnt require a map after fitting?
All 3 done seperately. Hartge and Quaife installed by Birds. Exhaust by my main dealer. No remap required just for the exhaust, just a few more hp and a louder sound.
      10-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #11
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Hey Ryan

Not to rain on your parade, but have you priced insurance for an M135i yet?. Hopefully you currently have insurance in your own name and the beginnings of a no claims bonus.

Most insurance companies I know wouldn't touch a 21 year old with a standard M135i, let alone a modded version.

Also a modified exhaust is a sure fire way to get pulled over.....
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #12
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
Not to rain on your parade, but have you priced insurance for an M135i yet?. Hopefully you currently have insurance in your own name and the beginnings of a no claims bonus.

Most insurance companies I know wouldn't touch a 21 year old with a standard M135i, let alone a modded version.

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 05:36 AM   #13
Ryanponti94
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post

I know sounds stupid but its cheaper to insure than a megane 265. I got quoted 1050 for year fully comp standard with 3 years no claims. Not tried a quote for the exhaust but would be waiting about a year before i go that route.

Lets hope no accidents!
Appreciate 0