BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > USB port in glove box is not recognized !!!

01-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #1
SkBimmer
Rep
Drives: 116i Sport

USB port in glove box is not recognized !!!

Hello all,
please excuse me for any stupid question, I am very new here

vehicle:
Model: 116i - EUR
Type: 1A12
Development Code: F20

I am having trouble updating my navigation map I need immediate attention please.

I bought this 2018 BMW Navigation Map Update from bimmercoders.
when I insert the usb drive with the extracted files to the glove compartment usb port nothing happens....

according to the instruction it should automatically detect the update and should come up on the screen, but nothing happens.

this is what i did:
  • downloaded the .rar file, which was about 2.8gb
  • extracted the file with 7zip application, about 4.5gb
  • formatted my 8gb usb drive with FAT32 system
  • copied contents of NAVD_xxxxxxxx_xxx_xxx_xxx folder to usb drive
  • switch on my car
  • plug-in the usb to the glove compartment usb port
  • waited waited waited ...
please note I have repeated these steps multiple times just to make sure I am not missing anything, but no luck.

I also bought a brand new 32gb usb drive because I though my usb might be faulty but same result, the system does not detect any update.

I tried the center usb port as-well but obviously that won't work any way.

the glove compartment usb port is not dead because I can see a light blinks on the usb drive when I insert it, and I can charge my iPhone there. Also after a while the usb stick becomes warm if I leave it there.

anything else should I do or anything else I can try or if I am doing anything wrong.

Thank you in-advanced.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 06:49 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Hello,

Did you bother to look down the threads list page (no need even to search) to notice this thread: Problems To Update Maps ? In case you did not the following advice can be worth trying.

It looks like (not explicitly confirmed though - you can take your chance ) there are files marked "hidden"(/"system") that can be omitted when you select the extracted files to copy. To play safe extract those files straight to the USB drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 07:31 PM   #3
SkBimmer
Rep

I did actually, but the screen-shot and other details do not match my circumstance(i thought).
but now looks like could be related, thanks for the direction
I'll try unzipping directly to the USB
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2018, 10:40 PM   #4
SkBimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Hello,

Did you bother to look down the threads list page (no need even to search) to notice this thread: Problems To Update Maps ? In case you did not the following advice can be worth trying.

It looks like (not explicitly confirmed though - you can take your chance ) there are files marked "hidden"(/"system") that can be omitted when you select the extracted files to copy. To play safe extract those files straight to the USB drive.
Sadly no luck... I also managed to forcefully delete "System Volume Information" folder from the root. still USB won't recognized
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 07:47 AM   #5
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkBimmer View Post
Sadly no luck... I also managed to forcefully delete "System Volume Information" folder from the root. still USB won't recognized
Sadly for you. I've already regretted I stepped in overlooking you had bought from "unofficial" suppliers who are actually thieves. It's not that I've never used software I couldn't afford though but I never paid... No, regretfully I did once. All right then. Let's explore your case.

First, you must've noticed the difference: the thread I referenced referred to an official update. "You always get as much as you've paid" - not too always in fact... But the data size mentioned appears to confirm.

Second, bimmercoders promise "a detailed Instructions guide". Not too helpful? Nor their customer service? Well, let's look at the handbook then. It says (page 165) it's Business navigation system (the regular size iDrive screen) that is updated via glove box USB. The Professional navigation (you seem to indicate it's what you have in a neighbour thread) expects a DVD medium!

Last edited by No one; 01-17-2018 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: Spelling correction.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 04:49 PM   #6
SkBimmer
Rep

Quote:
Sadly for you. I've already regretted I stepped in overlooking you had bought from "unofficial" suppliers who are actually thieves. It's not that I've never used software I couldn't afford though but I never paid... No, regretfully I did once. All right then. Let's explore your case.

First, you must've noticed the difference: the thread I referenced referred to an official update. "You always get as much as you've paid" - not too always in fact... But the data size mentioned appears to confirm.

Second, bimmercoders promise "a detailed Instructions guide". Not too helpful? Nor their customer service? Well, let's look at the handbook then. It says (page 165) it's Business navigation system (the regular size iDrive screen) that is updated via glove box USB. The Professional navigation (you seem to indicate it's what you have in a neighbour thread) expects a DVD medium!
Thanks for doing all these, I really appreciate. yeah the size difference is significant !!! well I got that "supplier" from some forum somewhere but was little cheaper than others
any way I can't say their service is bad, they provided me with a detailed instruction except that didn't work or was not for my car. Customer service is not bad as-well, they replied when-ever I asked a question, they tried to figure-out why it is not working and finally upon my discomfort they issued the refund(still waiting to receive). The only issue which is a big one is they didn't know what head unit do I have and what version should I get...

now I have to buy again and have do it via DVD? Takes a L O T of time isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 05:33 PM   #7
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
The only issue which is a big one is they didn't know what head unit do I have and what version should I get...

now I have to buy again and have do it via DVD? Takes a L O T of time isn't it?
So what head unit do you have? To check whether my guess is correct put the data you've got onto a DVD rather than USB (doesn't the data size of "about 4.5gb" look indicative: a data DVD size is 4.7 GB, right?) and try.

Size difference is another story. Even if there should be more than one DVD disc (For Australia? There was a complaint here BMW didn't know you had a road there, not much to map if anything at all. The other thread is about Europe rather than only Italy I presume.) the first one must be recognized anyway. The data should be available for free download (I insist! ), the real value is the activation code they presumably steal - they gave it to you, didn't they?

Last edited by No one; 01-17-2018 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2018, 09:26 PM   #8
SkBimmer
Rep

Quote:
So what head unit do you have? To check whether my guess is correct put the data you've got onto a DVD rather than USB (doesn't the data size of "about 4.5gb" look indicative: a data DVD size is 4.7 GB, right?) and try.

Size difference is another story. Even if there should be more than one DVD disc (For Australia? There was a complaint here BMW didn't know you had a road there, not much to map if anything at all. The other thread is about Europe rather than only Italy I presume.) the first one must be recognized anyway. The data should be available for free download (I insist! ), the real value is the activation code they presumably steal - they gave it to you, didn't they?
turned out I have CHAMP2 head unit with MOVE map and I was trying Premium
thanks to another expert who found that out for me and directed to a more knowledgeable guy with the maps and all. I am waiting to give that a try when I am back home
Any for future reference whare/how can I get the data? you can inbox as-well if you want
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2018, 06:16 AM   #9
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Any for future reference whare/how can I get the data?
Apart from BMW site / official service, you can always search around for torrents but you'll need an activation code: what I meant was you could look for the data matching (version) the code you had. So either stick to your proven source or search for another making use of your extended knowledge about your system.
Appreciate 0