BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Problems with tyrepressure monitoring

01-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #1
heder
Engineer
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i, Sapphire Black Metal

Problems with tyrepressure monitoring

Hi All :-)

I have just recently exchanged my original summer tires (Bridgestone Runflat) with normal non-runflat Goodyear Ultragrip 8 tires (205/55/R16). After the service center completed the installation, I recalibrated/initialised the tire pressure in accordance with the instructions in the users manual. During this process, the car confirmed the calibration on the display. After receiving this confirmation message, I then drove the car for more than 10 km to be sure that the tire pressure calibration was completed.
To simulate a significant loss of tirepressure, I then reduced the pressure from 2.4Bar to 1.6Bar on each wheel, and drove another 10 km to let the car perform monitoring and eventually issue a low-pressure warning.
But after completing my test drive, I didn't get any low-pressure warnings from the display, and all 4 tires was still displayed with green colors on the display. -Does anyone know what could be causing this error?

Best regards
Thomas.

Last edited by heder; 01-29-2013 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by heder View Post

I have just recently exchanged my original summer tires (Bridgestone Runflat) with normal non-runflat Goodyear Ultragrip 8 tires (205/55/R16). After the service center completed the installation, I recalibrated/initialised the tire pressure in accordance with the instructions in the users manual. During this process, the car confirmed the calibration on the display. After receiving this confirmation message, I then drove the car for more than 10 km to be sure that the tire pressure calibration was completed.
To simulate a significant loss of tirepressure, I then reduced the pressure from 2.4Bar to 1.6Bar on each wheel, and drove another 10 km to let the car perform monitoring and eventually issue a low-pressure warning.
But after completing my test drive, I didn't get any low-pressure warnings from the display, and all 4 tires was still displayed with green colors on the display. -Does anyone know what could be causing this error?

Best regards
Thomas.
I think the car is monitoring the rotation speed of all four wheels, to see if one tire is rotating faster than the others. When you reduce the pressure in ALL tires, you fool the system, and it will not notice. Try reducing the pressure in only one tire, and you will get a warning.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i M Sport (soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heder

Best regards
Thomas.
The system is indirect TPMS, it means it does use pressure sensor but calculate pressure loss if different rotation speed is noticed by ABS sensor on one wheel compared to the others. If you reduce the pressure of all tires they will still rotate at the same speed so no problem. The engineers make an assumption: there is very low probability to have pressure loss on all wheels at the same time... Obviously you believed it is probable
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 12:44 AM   #4
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavVD View Post
... it means it does use pressure sensor but ...
I think you mean it does NOT use...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 12:54 AM   #5
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 116i (F20) Auto

Garage List
Well said by ovekam and XavVD....it is not a tyre pressure system per se. It is idirect, so you need at least one wheel to have the ''original'' pressure so it can be compared with the pressure in the other wheels.
2005-07: BMW 325ti (E46)
2004-05: BMW 318i (E36)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 03:18 AM   #6
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i Α/Τ

I agree with all the above.

However, I have another (important IMHO) question regarding this: how much does the pressure have to drop in a tyre, before you get the warning message?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 04:15 AM   #7
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim73 View Post
However, I have another (important IMHO) question regarding this: how much does the pressure have to drop in a tyre, before you get the warning message?
From experience and also according to my friendly mechanic it has to drop at least 10 psi (for example from 32 psi to 22psi...or even more). Of course this drop refers to RFT tyres which have harder sidewalls...with normal tyres I guess it must be less than 10 psi.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 04:17 AM   #8
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i Α/Τ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanis View Post
From experience and also according to my friendly mechanic it has to drop at least 10 psi (for example from 32 psi to 22psi...or even more). Of course this drop refers to RFT tyres which have harder sidewalls...with normal tyres I guess it must be less than 10 psi.
Wow, this is a big difference. Does this have to do with the sensitivity of the sensor? Can this be adjusted somehow in order to have a warning message when the pressure drops by, let's say, 5 psi?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 05:32 AM   #9
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dim73 View Post
Wow, this is a big difference. Does this have to do with the sensitivity of the sensor? Can this be adjusted somehow in order to have a warning message when the pressure drops by, let's say, 5 psi?
It has to do with the required difference in the speed of the wheels, in order to give you a reading. If the tyre is deflated only by 3-4 psi, then the difference in size (and thus speed) is not significant enough to the read by the ABS sensors. And NO, unfortunately it cannot be adjusted. To give you an example, in my Mini Cooper S I got a warning when the pressure was down to 20psi (normal pressure was 34).
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 05:51 AM   #10
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

I have had a couple of warnings when running non run flat tires, and the pressure difference was definitely less than 10 psi.

When driving on a track, the pressure can easily change by 10 psi due to heat, so I would not like it to be more sensitive than it is. The point of it is to warn you about punctured tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 06:03 AM   #11
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I have had a couple of warnings when running non run flat tires, and the pressure difference was definitely less than 10 psi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanis View Post
Of course this drop refers to RFT tyres which have harder sidewalls...with normal tyres I guess it must be less than 10 psi.
As I said before, for non-RFT's is must be less than 10psi...don't know how much, as I only had a flat tyre once in the Z4 (non-RFT tyres) and it was totally flat.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #12
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

my sensor(s) seem to be a bit off, I get the low tyre pressure warning now and then. I just have to stop and re-initialize the check (not filling up any more air in the tyres), then it's all good again. I've checked tyre-pressure... it's all good, warning still comes on now and then.
By the way, when the low pressure-warning comes, in my case it indicates on the screen that all wheels are low pressure at the same time. Is this how it works, or is the system supposed to tell what wheel specificly lost pressure?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 04:26 PM   #13
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i M Sport (soon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavVD View Post
... it means it does use pressure sensor but ...
I think you mean it does NOT use...
I have been caught not reading myself for correction after writing
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

NOTE: For those of us with the indirect system, is not a tyre pressure warning system, it is a puncture warning system.

We still need to regularly check tyre pressures and reset the sytem for accurate tyre working pressures. Particularly as we know all four tyre pressures can go down without any warning gong.

Quote:
BMW Wrote:

Tyre Puncture Warning System (TPWS)

The Tyre Puncture Warning System regularly monitors the tyre pressures of all four tyres by comparing their rotational speed when the vehicle is being driven. Whenever tyre pressure drops by approximately 30 per cent or more, the wheel's rolling radius changes significantly and rotates at a different speed from the other wheels. Via DSC's wheel-speed sensors, the Tyre Puncture Warning System recognises any such major deviation. Within one to three minutes, this system triggers a pressure-loss indication on the instrument panel, plus an audible warning. In a vehicle equipped with the iDrive interface, the warning appears on the Control Display.
HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 12:09 PM   #15
kabamaru
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f20 ed

Hello, does anybody knows if is it possible to retrofit the tpms sensors and to enable the temperature and pressure reading? You can find those sensors relatively cheap via ebay but i don't know if you just install them and then with coding the system works or if something more is needed (i mean hardware staff).
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 09:39 AM   #16
banmine
Singapore
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabamaru View Post
Hello, does anybody knows if is it possible to retrofit the tpms sensors and to enable the temperature and pressure reading? You can find those sensors relatively cheap via ebay but i don't know if you just install them and then with coding the system works or if something more is needed (i mean hardware staff).
i used this while i was on my golf previously. reads pressure and temp. warns even if all 4 tires have low pressure.
with the f20, the puncture warning will prompt a warning, and i dont find it necessary to get this.

http://www.orange-electronic.com/en/...ofit_p409.html
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2015, 05:46 PM   #17
kabamaru
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f20 ed

I would like to retrofit the original tpms so you can read in real time the tyre pressure and temperature. This is what i want http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/attachm..._1958532_n.jpg
Appreciate 0