BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Review: TUF Shine

06-09-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Thumbs up

Review: TUF Shine

What?
It is a tire dressing like no other. It's different because most other dressings are silicone / water based. It is a clearcoat product, which will not stick to your tires unless they have been correctly preped. But once its applied, will reportedly last for 6 months

Why?
Silicone / Water based dressings often wear off after a week of use. TUF shine's clear coat bonds to the tire, to give 5-6 months of lasting effect. You can also layer and touch up the product afterwards.

What did I think?
The application process took a while- however the effort is one time, and from now on I can use soap and water to clean my tires to restore a shiny clean / wet look! I havent had the product on my car for that long yet, but we shall see how long it lasts, and i shall update. However, if you dont follow the rules for application, you can end up with a cracked looking tire, which no one wants. so be patient

Rating?
4/5
it will get 5/5 if it lasts 6 months

What do I need?
How?
  • Prep your tires

Spray the Tire Cleaner onto a wheel, and use the provited scrubbing brush to really work it into your tire. Initially the resulting colour of the foam it produces will be a mucky muddy colour. This colour is the silicone products coming out of your tire.

Wash it all off your tire with water, and repeat until the foam produced is bright white.

The more product you have applied over the years, the more repetitions of this step it will take to get off. My new car took two applications per tire.

• Let the tire dry

This step is important, so it has a step all of its own. You MUST let the tires dry completly. I left mine for 3 hours- If you do not, the clearcoat will not bond.

Phase 1

Phase 2

Phase 3

Phase 4 - Nice and white

• Apply the clear coat

Ensure the car has not been driven for a long time, as this will mean the tires are hot- you want the tires cold for application.

Put on the provided latex gloves and take the applicator pad / clearcoat bottle. shake the bottle until you no longer hear the liquid inside.

DON'T GET ANY ON YOUR ALLOYS- it will damage them. I got it on mine, and needed Gtechnique C5 to fix it (very expensive)

Open the bottle, and pour a little onto your pad- be careful, its as runny as water, now rub it into your tire. Make sure you use plenty, but ensure there are no streaks, as it will set like that. dont worry too much if there are foamy parts on your tire.

This is what the clearcoat looks like when wet on your tire

Complete on all 4 tires.

• Let the tire dry

This step is important, so it has a step all of its own. You MUST let the tires dry completly. I left mine for 3 hours- If you do not, the clearcoat will not bond.

This is what the dried product looks after one coat- sorry for the poor quality picture

You can see here where the clearcoat runs out on the tire- the effect is staggering in person

• Apply 2, 3 or 4 more coats

Repat the previous two steps for the additional levels of coat you require. More coats results in a greater shine. After your last application, leave it to set over night, without using the car

Update: 1 week of motorway driving- no washing or cleaning of any kind:

Last edited by iBeech; 06-10-2012 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep
Drives: X5 2014 Sparkling Brown

Great review! I just placed my order from here http://www.waxattack.co.uk/?wpsc-pro...appearance-kit
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 02:18 AM   #3
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eseminario
Great review! I just placed my order from here http://www.waxattack.co.uk/?wpsc-pro...appearance-kit
Thanks

That's where I ordered mine from- simply forgt the address before
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 02:57 AM   #4
Mark189
Member of Parliament
Rep
Drives: G21 320d M Sport

Great how to thanks!, can't help noticing the products changed the type of alloy wheels and the colour of the car too!!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep

That's because this is a Magic product
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark189 View Post
Great how to thanks!, can't help noticing the products changed the type of alloy wheels and the colour of the car too!!
haha- good spot its because i did it on my old car, and photographed the first part, but not the application. and the opposite with the new car
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #7
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Updated with some 1 week later shots
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #8
LatinBimmer
Lieutenant
Peru
Rep

I received an email from waxattack.co.uk asking for twice the shipping fees, I had to cancel the order... that was insane, shipping fees more expensive than the product itself...

Now, I am still looking somewhere else to buy
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eseminario
I received an email from waxattack.co.uk asking for twice the shipping fees, I had to cancel the order... that was insane, shipping fees more expensive than the product itself...

Now, I am still looking somewhere else to buy
What a shame! I need to find a supplier then- let us know of you find anywhere
Appreciate 0