BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > How is the heat on the 120d?

01-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
EdDuran
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xd M-Sport

Garage List
2014 328xd  [0.00]
How is the heat on the 120d?

I currently drive a 2010 Audi A3 TDI and was curious how well the heat functions on the 120d. I realize the diesels being so efficient produce little excess heat and therefore take a while to warm up.

The A3 TDI has an electric pre-heater in the coolant (I'm not talking about the engine block heater) which will produce moderatly warm air in about 3 minutes of driving; this will help to clear a snowy windscreen. Within another 10 minutes or so I'm getting decent heat - if I force it. That is, the automatic climate control isn't too keen on sharing that heat with me and I generally need to keep it set at 80f and the fan turned up; so much for climate control. My friends 128i (yes, its a bigger gas engine) provides lots of heat, evenly distributed throughout the cabin.

Oh .. and don't even get me started on the virtually non-existent heated seats on the A3 "6 settings for off, 1 for luke warm"

Could people share their thoughts and experiences with winter mornings and their 120d?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

I got the 120d and so far I'm impressed with the heating. Defenitely some kind of pre-heater/diesel-warmer function. It has not been very cold though, only a few minus degrees (celsius). I've actually been surprised how quick it takes untill warm-air starts blowing out the vents, I'd say just a minute or 2. I let the auto-clima-control at about 22-23 degrees celsius just to be on the warm side, then usually turn it down after a while to 21 C or so. haven't seen how it perform at some real cold temps like -15 C or so.

regarding the heated seats; I feel like the temp-regulation is off on mine, don't feel any difference really if it's set to high, medium or low. Even at lowest it's still too warm for my taste. But guess it's better too warm rather than too cold. Seats are getting heated really quick aswell
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
EdDuran
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xd M-Sport

Garage List
2014 328xd  [0.00]
Thanks! Happy to know it heats up within a reasonable time.
Appreciate 0