BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > General Aero Questions....

12-16-2013, 06:47 AM   #1
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

General Aero Questions....

So I wandered into a Lotus dealer, and they actually let me sit in the Lotus Exige S.

Out back in the garage there are actually customer racing cars, and the guy let me check 'em out too Other than the huge wing, I noticed the under body is entirely closed off, but I am not sure if the owner did it himself afterwards or if it comes equipped.

Can our F20 do that? I mean surely it's got to help reducing the drag. My friend said his M5 is designed so the under body is closed off. It seems to be a good idea after all.

With a closed under body I guess we can start dreaming a front splitter that may partner with a diffuser that serves more than improving aesthetics (okay maybe it won't work because we can't get so low to the ground )

Anyway, just a thought....
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by westphone View Post
Out back in the garage there are actually customer racing cars, and the guy let me check 'em out too Other than the huge wing, I noticed the under body is entirely closed off, but I am not sure if the owner did it himself afterwards or if it comes equipped.

Can our F20 do that? I mean surely it's got to help reducing the drag. My friend said his M5 is designed so the under body is closed off. It seems to be a good idea after all.
I think the Lotus comes that way from the factory even in the cheaper versions. Modern BMWs (including the F20) are more closed off underneath than older models, but they make it even smoother for race cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
westphone
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: M135i MT

The like the backside of this beauty....

Thanks for the reply, the Exige S is quite nice
Attached Images

Appreciate 0