BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Flip burgers for $31,200

05-20-2015, 10:51 PM   #23
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Any source ending in .gov essentially discredits any of the information because their interests are not aligned with the truth.

The women earning 77 cents on the dollar compared to men is all bullshit spread by the government. Most government officials and especially Obama and his advisors don't understand economics.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2015, 10:56 PM   #24
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

I'm not going to keep coming back here and arguing a point simple economics confirms, but I'll say one more thing.

People in America aren't poor. There is opportunity. There are billions of people around the world that need help for real. I'm the most Libertarian leaning person you'll meet, but I can't ignore people living in countries with no opportunity, no basics, and no hope.

Fuck the complainers in America. You don't know poor. I've seen it first hand and it's devastating.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2015, 09:21 PM   #25
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

So we are just going to make up facts because reality doesn't sound good?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 11:14 PM   #26
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyT View Post
Would I flip burgers for $31k/yr? Ah hell no. Getting grease burns all over my arms, having to wash clothing multiple times to get that stench out, slipping all over a grease covered floor surrounded by multiple incredibly hot appliances, crappy hours any day and rarely able to work more than 4 consecutive hours due to only needed for the 'lunch rush', not having an appetite after work due to being around such trashy food all day.....

No thanks. I'll take my air conditioned desk with my comfy chair where I have to talk on the phone, type some stuff on the computer, go to two meetings a day, and maybe converse with the people I work with a couple times a day.

your work sounds very fulfilling.

cool story.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 09:38 AM   #27
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

One thing about the "anti - raise" crowd DON'T have is facts on their side, just vitorol filled Hyperbole on how people who work for a living are looking for a handout, because pay hasn't kept pace with inflation. Fuck them.

Yes, and I do mean that in absolute sincerity - if you're too lazy, too stupid and/or just too plain selfish to research the actual positions and what effect they will have on your community and country, you're an asshole. Takes 5 minutes to make a more educated asshole.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2015, 12:07 PM   #28
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
One thing about the "anti - raise" crowd DON'T have is facts on their side, just vitorol filled Hyperbole on how people who work for a living are looking for a handout, because pay hasn't kept pace with inflation. Fuck them.

Yes, and I do mean that in absolute sincerity - if you're too lazy, too stupid and/or just too plain selfish to research the actual positions and what effect they will have on your community and country, you're an asshole. Takes 5 minutes to make a more educated asshole.
      05-22-2015, 01:51 PM   #29
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

This isn't anti-raise...it's anti minimum wage.

Whatever, there are millions of smarter people than me who agree with the premise. If you love it, great. I graduated for U. of Chicago and Milton Friedman is the greatest economist I ever studied. If he thinks it's a bad idea, that's good enough for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 02:11 PM   #30
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
This isn't anti-raise...it's anti minimum wage.

Whatever, there are millions of smarter people than me who agree with the premise. If you love it, great. I graduated for U. of Chicago and Milton Friedman is the greatest economist I ever studied. If he thinks it's a bad idea, that's good enough for me.
And there are more than TWICE as many who disagree with you: Almost EVERY SINGLE developed country in the world has a minimum wage standard - you're literally admitting to not only being wilfully ignorant on the subject - but you're proud of it. Pathetic.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2015, 02:35 PM   #31
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
And there are more than TWICE as many who disagree with you: Almost EVERY SINGLE developed country in the world has a minimum wage standard - you're literally admitting to not only being wilfully ignorant on the subject - but you're proud of it. Pathetic.
Ok, we've been over the basic economics which is my premise for disagreeing with a minimum wage.

I don't see any facts in the thread with you providing any evidence to the contrary. I actually think my posts and some other posts have provided at least some evidence as to why it's a bad idea.

Not seeing that from you other than criticizing our view.

I'm not an economist, but I did my undergrad at Wharton and MBA from U. of Chicago and will put my education in business up against anyone. I'm not willfully ignorant on the subject.

Are you arguing that raising the minimum wage is OK no matter what or that the fact other areas of the economy have outpaced the minimum wage so it makes sense to raise it? Do you refute the facts of labor supply/demand and the impacts a minimum wage would have on the economy? At what point do you stop raising the wage and how do you measure how much to raise it?

I'd argue the reason people disagree with me is because they have an interest in a higher minimum wage. It doesn't mean what we think is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 03:03 PM   #32
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Ok, we've been over the basic economics which is my premise for disagreeing with a minimum wage.

No we haven't - you made a couple of unsubstantiated claims and refused to acknowledge peer reviewed research that proved the the contrary was true.

I don't see any facts in the thread with you providing any evidence to the contrary. I actually think my posts and some other posts have provided at least some evidence as to why it's a bad idea.

Funny, I was going to say the same about what YOU have posted so far. You pull a claim out of your ass and have YET to bolster it with anything but hot air.

Not seeing that from you other than criticizing our view.

I'm not an economist, but I did my undergrad at Wharton and MBA from U. of Chicago and will put my education in business up against anyone. I'm not willfully ignorant on the subject.

No shit your not, and it's plainly obvious. tell you what, tell me about the actual studies you've personally conducted on this subject, including the sample size, the control and variables, time frame and how many of your peers were allowed to cross examine your findings.

Are you arguing that raising the minimum wage is OK no matter what or that the fact other areas of the economy have outpaced the minimum wage so it makes sense to raise it? Do you refute the facts of labor supply/demand and the impacts a minimum wage would have on the economy? At what point do you stop raising the wage and how do you measure how much to raise it?

I'd argue the reason people disagree with me is because they have an interest in a higher minimum wage. It doesn't mean what we think is wrong.
I'm not making any claims - I'm stating facts and the sooner you know the difference is when we can actually have an educated conversation on this matter.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 04:52 PM   #33
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:

The women earning 77 cents on the dollar compared to men is all bullshit spread by the government. Most government officials and especially Obama and his advisors don't understand economics.

Exactly! If this was the case, companies would be dominantly staffed by women to save the 25%.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 04:55 PM   #34
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Women making less debate.....

1. I want a paternity leave as much as maternity leave! It is a discrimination!
2. I want my medical coverage cover pregnancy as well ! It is a discrimination!
3. I demand a long leave of absent after we have a kid as well! It is a discrimination!
4. I want my life insurance to be as less as women's premium! It is a discrimination!
      05-22-2015, 05:50 PM   #35
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Exactly! If this was the case, companies would be dominantly staffed by women to save the 25%.
Women don't make less money, and no one in this thread is arguing that or about Obama. Stay on topic, provide articles and feedback for discussion.

Most of all, stop setting up strawmen - it's doing you and your position a disservice, I'm beginning to believe you don't have a leg to stand on at this point.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #36
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
Women don't make less money, and no one in this thread is arguing that or about Obama. Stay on topic, provide articles and feedback for discussion.

Most of all, stop setting up strawmen - it's doing you and your position a disservice, I'm beginning to believe you don't have a leg to stand on at this point.
Good luck here on 'Off Topic'.

They can certainly raise the minimum wage. $15 will eventually become the old $10.

The cost do get passed onto the consumer one way or another. Corporation will not want it to erode its bottom line.

It is a short term illusion for minimum wage worker that they are getting something.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 01:49 PM   #37
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
Min wage needs to be set by state or city. $15ph in NY or LA is way different that $15ph in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. Setting it to $15 nationwide would be pretty stupid.

But overall it is just too low today in general. When some companies have their employees supplementing with government aid maybe it's time to raise wages a bit so my taxes can go towards something more useful.
      05-23-2015, 02:08 PM   #38
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Sounds like this thread has devolved enough to move to the politics subforum.

Thanks a lot, Obama!!!
      05-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #39
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
Min wage needs to be set by state or city. $15ph in NY or LA is way different that $15ph in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. Setting it to $15 nationwide would be pretty stupid.

But overall it is just too low today in general. When some companies have their employees supplementing with government aid maybe it's time to raise wages a bit so my taxes can go towards something more useful.
Screw Bimmerforums Gary - stay here.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #40
Tsujen
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

"The all new $3 menu.."

Cheapest items on the board... All it's going to do is have them hire less people, fire people and raise prices and ruin the economy even more with higher priced goods. The middle class will be low class the low class will be poor again and complain they don't make enough.
      05-23-2015, 04:09 PM   #41
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsujen View Post
"The all new $3 menu.."

Cheapest items on the board... All it's going to do is have them hire less people, fire people and raise prices and ruin the economy even more with higher priced goods. The middle class will be low class the low class will be poor again and complain they don't make enough.
Class of 15 didn't read the thread, doesn't know economics, doesn't know facts, and obviously doesn't. Know. Shit.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2015, 09:30 PM   #42
MFL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
That's when guys like me roll into town and start automating people out of jobs.

$6/hr, not worth automating. $40,000/yr after benefits etc, people will be replaced with iPads/iPhones.

Last edited by MFL; 05-25-2015 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #43
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Flipping burgers, etc (many minimum wage jobs) are NOT supposed to be a career, and NO, you can't raise a family on it.

If all you aspire to do in life is flip burgers, keep your dick in your pants or your legs crossed, and don't move out of mom's basement.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 11:44 AM   #44
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep

People not reading the thread.
Appreciate 0