BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Is the 8 speed auto a must?

08-18-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
ticamihai2003
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MINI Cooper S, BMW 118d sport

Is the 8 speed auto a must?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I am wondering what your opinion is regarding this issue. I red a lot of good reviews about this gearbox but I am not so sure when it comes to driving pleasure.

I had owned a MINI 6 speed manual and I only test drove a F30 for not such a long drive in order to make a proper idea on the 8 auto gearbox in sport+ mode.

I am interested in driving fun only .
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, 118d & 125i f20

Personally I like the 8 speed gear box. Really make a difference in performance and fuel consumption.

You can always stay in the power band you like.

Piero
      08-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
Carto4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mercedes 190E 2.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierokwong View Post
Personally I like the 8 speed gear box. Really make a difference in performance and fuel consumption.

You can always stay in the power band you like.

Piero
Is it that noticeable?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

A manual will always be more fun to drive on the real interesting roads, however, like most of us, if you mostly drive around in city traffic go for the Sport Auto, it will give you the best of both worlds. (sport auto with paddles).

In Auto, you can just go with the flow in peak hour traffic without having to work the clutch and then have a lot of fun when you get to the interesting roads or get that break in the traffic that lets you hold it in your favourite gear and scoot using the paddles and sport+ mode.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #5
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carto4 View Post
Is it that noticeable?
Carto4,

It's a really smart gearbox.

Once you've getting used to the 8 speed, you can push it hard for a 2nd gear for hard cornering or take a less aggressive approach with the 3rd. But all that power is right on your finger tip.

Once you are back on cruising, you have the 7th & 8th gear for overdrive. Really not drink much petrol in the current economy condition.

You need to ask yourself the question tho, are you staying at redline all the time with manual shift? Coz you can't stay there for too long with the 8-speed auto.

But to be honest, why are you doing that with this gear box?

The same idea, when I was driving the new M5, I like the new auto gearbox there. Coz it shift MUCH faster and better than any human being (including all racing driver) now.

Cheers,
Piero
      08-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

My priority is also on driving fun, so I selected the manual gearbox. You have more control with a cluch pedal in some situations, particularly in slippery conditions. Besides, I find some pleasure in manual rev matching and even sometimes double declutching. I like the feeling of the gears slipping in with no resistance from the sync rings.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 02:48 AM   #7
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
Carto4,

Once you've getting used to the 8 speed, you can push it hard for a 2nd gear for hard cornering or take a less aggressive approach with the 3rd. But all that power is right on your finger tip.

Once you are back on cruising, you have the 7th & 8th gear for overdrive. Really not drink much petrol in the current economy condition.

You need to ask yourself the question tho, are you staying at redline all the time with manual shift? Coz you can't stay there for too long with the 8-speed auto.

The same idea, when I was driving the new M5, I like the new auto gearbox there. Coz it shift MUCH faster and better than any human being (including all racing driver) now.

Cheers,
Piero

The 8-speed auto is very good, and shifts faster than manual can. It has a wide ratio spread, allowing to cruise with low rpm.

But these all daily things it can't:

1. Calling all the torque in the gear you're in. So no kick-down.
2. Avoiding upshift just before the turn.
3. Out-accelerate the turn with progressive massa transfer to the rear after the apex.

When a auto box can do this, than I'd take it.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 02:52 AM   #8
ticamihai2003
Private First Class
Rep

So what you guys have told me here is that 8 speed auto sport gearbox is very good but not a must.

I wish I could test drive one for more time on a twisty road....
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 02:56 AM   #9
ticamihai2003
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
The 8-speed auto is very good, and shifts faster than manual can. It has a wide ratio spread, allowing to cruise with low rpm.

3. Out-accelerate the turn with progressive massa transfer to the rear after the apex.

Nice points there but what about the gearboxes in racing cars like the ones closer to standard cars in WTCC. I know they are different quite a bit....does anyone know how different? They stopped using manuals in a long time now.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 04:13 AM   #10
jhbodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post

I went for the manual because it feels more connected, but point 1 can be done on the current auto box by selecting Sport mode. Point 2 is actually coming fairly soon too, BMW are going to link in their next generation autos with the sat nav so it knows where corners and hills are.

I could have happily lived with the auto box or the manual, but the £1600 saving and the added feeling of connectedness swayed it for me.
      08-19-2012, 04:48 AM   #11
Carto4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Carto4,

Cheers,
Piero
I agree with your opinion even if I just tried this autobox for a few miles. But I think I'm too young for getint an autobox, and I think I may learn more with the manual one for the moment.

A part from this, the xDrive is a MUST for me, due to the climate from where I live, and as far as I'm concerned, 120xd won't have the autobox as an option, just manual gearbox.

Thanks Piero
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 04:49 AM   #12
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticamihai2003 View Post
Nice points there but what about the gearboxes in racing cars like the ones closer to standard cars in WTCC. I know they are different quite a bit....does anyone know how different? They stopped using manuals in a long time now.
I'd assume these are no full automatics but semi-automatics. They don't decide on which gear to select, the driver does. The shift change is automated since it can do it faster. It probably also does the heel-toe throttle blip in a better way also.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 04:53 AM   #13
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbodle View Post
I went for the manual because it feels more connected, but point 1 can be done on the current auto box by selecting Sport mode. Point 2 is actually coming fairly soon too, BMW are going to link in their next generation autos with the sat nav so it knows where corners and hills are.

I could have happily lived with the auto box or the manual, but the £1600 saving and the added feeling of connectedness swayed it for me.
Concerning point 1, strange that I don't more often see criticism on the inability of autoboxes to handle this. I doubt Sport mode is the solution...

Assume you are cruising very relaxed at 1600rpm, the road is starting to go uphill. Instead of shifting down with half throttle, you best remain in high gear with full throttle. The autobox does the former, not the latter. Or when you want to overtake or just pick up pace.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #14
rickk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F56E Mini Cooper SE

The (sport version!) auto is very good, but even a good auto box just spoils a large part of the fun for me.

I just like changing gear myself. I wouldn't want the car to steer by itself either.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #15
wolz
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: bmw F20 120d

Matter of personal preference and driving pattern, go for a testdrive comparison. I went for the manual. Think money can be spent on way better stuff than the autobox. Definitely not a musthave imo
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #16
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carto4 View Post
I agree with your opinion even if I just tried this autobox for a few miles. But I think I'm too young for getint an autobox, and I think I may learn more with the manual one for the moment.

A part from this, the xDrive is a MUST for me, due to the climate from where I live, and as far as I'm concerned, 120xd won't have the autobox as an option, just manual gearbox.

Thanks Piero

Carto4,

I guess it is very very hard to say it is a "MUST" for either manual or auto.

I am the old school and I have "heel & toe" & "double de-clutch". I love doing some hot laps in national parks and occasion race course as well.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to go for the previous gen auto (6 speed). But the current one is really smart.

If you are in Sport or even Sport+ mode as I do, you can stay in the rev that you want. Of course if you wanna use full throttle and stay right on the red line for extended period of time, the auto gear box won't let you do that.

But you need to ask yourself the question why do you wanna use "full throttle & stay right on red line"? Maybe you should consider changing that habit

With the 8 speed auto, you can combine that with Sport or Sport+ with peddle shift, you can select any gears you want.

I know maybe M5 is not the best gearbox example, but the new 8 speed on M5 (SMG tho) are really really good as well. At least I know it shift WAY faster than me

Once again, my point is a few year back, auto is not good for driving fun at all. But right now, the new 8 speed really change the story. BMW invest a lot in this gearbox to maintain the driving pleasure while giving you the extra fuel economy options.

Piero
      08-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #17
Mahzari
Captain
Iran
Rep
Drives: poorly

The debate between auto and manual will never end, but I will say this:

If you do go with an automatic, spend the extra coin on the Sport Auto. Paddles, nicer shifter, quicker shifts, and Sport+ is well worth the $500.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 12:29 AM   #18
matthieu178
France
Rep
Drives: F20 120D M Automatic

Hi,
I received my 120d a few weekes ago with the auto gearbox and I must say : IT'S AWSOME, I already drove the DSG gearbox and it's not even comparable. Once you start using it, you love it, whether you do mountain roads or city driving.
If you stay in Classic Drive position everything is smooth and you don't have to take care of anything, and once you start comping manual and sports mode, you're off for a lot of fun, especially that that it shifts fast with no loss of power or torque...
I know that I'm completely in to that gearbox and I would'nt change it. Now, if you really want to know what's it's like, best thing is the test drive as said above.

Have a nice day
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 12:49 AM   #19
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep

Very well said Matthieu178!!! Totally agree with ya! I have two of is in my garage now (in fact 118d, and 125i arriving this Friday).

Test drive to believe it. Remember the combo between Sport or Sport+ & pedal shift.

Piero
      08-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #20
Carto4
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Carto4,

I guess it is very very hard to say it is a "MUST" for either manual or auto.

I am the old school and I have "heel & toe" & "double de-clutch". I love doing some hot laps in national parks and occasion race course as well.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to go for the previous gen auto (6 speed). But the current one is really smart.

If you are in Sport or even Sport+ mode as I do, you can stay in the rev that you want. Of course if you wanna use full throttle and stay right on the red line for extended period of time, the auto gear box won't let you do that.

But you need to ask yourself the question why do you wanna use "full throttle & stay right on red line"? Maybe you should consider changing that habit

With the 8 speed auto, you can combine that with Sport or Sport+ with peddle shift, you can select any gears you want.

I know maybe M5 is not the best gearbox example, but the new 8 speed on M5 (SMG tho) are really really good as well. At least I know it shift WAY faster than me

Once again, my point is a few year back, auto is not good for driving fun at all. But right now, the new 8 speed really change the story. BMW invest a lot in this gearbox to maintain the driving pleasure while giving you the extra fuel economy options.

Piero
Many people told me that, and I thank you all guys for your information. I was really conviced to go for it, bus as I said I feel I would learn more with a manual box for the moment (I'm only 21 years old), and I still have a lot to learn.

A part from this, this autobox, as far as I'm concerned, won't be available with the 120xd... so I guess it's a signal that I don't have to take it lol

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #21
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

I am informed that the 'Sport Auto' box (held up production on the 125i line recently) has got intuative sensors to sense the angle of the vehicle on the road and facilitate a down shift when needed. it is in part to assist the auto cruise control system.

Last edited by AusF20/F48; 08-21-2012 at 07:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #22
theotherjohn
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Silver F20 118dA

I agree with Matthieu178 - the changes are as imperceptable as the DSG on my 170ps Passat, there's a bit more creep which can be useful & the stepoff from standstill is better (I always used the autohold & reckon it didn't release the brakes quite quickly enough. A mini dislike is that in order to use the auto stop/start you have to sit at the lights with the footbrake on (release brake & engine starts) which in poor conmditions can dazzle the car behind. The stop/start is pretty imperceptable - till you get used to it fiind yourself checking the rev counter to see it actually has started.
Appreciate 0