BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Tyre initialisation feature

02-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
dreamweaver
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw f30

Tyre initialisation feature

Baffled by this, checked the tyre pressure 2 weeks ago, ran the initialisation in idrive. Friday jut gone car felt funny, had a look and rear right looked flat, checked pressure with my gauge 10PSI. Took to kwik fit slow puncture but all tyres well below from last week.

All put back to correct pressure but isn’t this system designed to let you know about flat tyre of low psi per tyre.
I take it that this system isn’t working on my car?.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

The problem is that runflat tyres have rather stiff sidewalls, so you need a very significant pressure drop to make enough impact on the dynamic tyre diameter. I am running non runflats on our F20, and it warns me when the tyres drop from 35 to 27 psi or so.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 06:57 AM   #3
matthewcornish
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Was going to say the same as @ovekvam regards run flats -as I had the same issue because I thought the pressures didn't need checking because the car would warn me. So I have gotten back into the habit of checking once a month... and recently switched to non-run flat tyres too (for which I understand the system will work as expected).
      02-25-2014, 02:13 AM   #4
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 116i (F20) Auto

Garage List
The system works by calculating the difference in rotation speed of each wheel (so if you have a flat tyre the diameter of the wheel is smaller and thus it spins at higher rpms) and it does not actually read the tyre pressure. So, it needs a significant drop in tyre pressure for the diameter to be altered and the system to read it and register it. In my car I have found it needs to drop below 20psi to give me a warning.

I read that BMW is launchin a new and improved system from March 2014 (in all models bar the X6) onwards.
2005-07: BMW 325ti (E46)
2004-05: BMW 318i (E36)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 03:04 AM   #5
mose999
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 116i F20

matthewcornish - without Run-frat tyres, what would you do when you have a puncture, apart from calling the rescue service?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 05:31 AM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

I usually carry tools in my car to fix a puncture, including a jack, a compressor, a torque wrench, and a worm kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 06:44 AM   #7
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose999 View Post
matthewcornish - without Run-frat tyres, what would you do when you have a puncture, apart from calling the rescue service?
With non runflats fitted (Some dealers will provide this as a cost option) the car is equipped with a compressor and a can of leak stop compound (Gunk).

If fitting yourself you can equip such a kit quite easily from somewhere like Halfords or you carry a spare in the boot.

I like the convenience of runflats myself but would still rather the car had a wheel well capable of holding a full sized spare as I'm quite happy buying an extra alloy for punctures.
      02-25-2014, 06:45 AM   #8
matthewcornish
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose999 View Post
I have a repair kit I look back at my car ownership history* and the number of times I've had a flat / puncture... once... and I don't feel it's the biggest concern.

*Edit: 14 years

Last edited by matthewcornish; 02-25-2014 at 06:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 07:16 AM   #9
dreamweaver
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw f30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanis View Post
The system works by calculating the difference in rotation speed of each wheel (so if you have a flat tyre the diameter of the wheel is smaller and thus it spins at higher rpms) and it does not actually read the tyre pressure. So, it needs a significant drop in tyre pressure for the diameter to be altered and the system to read it and register it. In my car I have found it needs to drop below 20psi to give me a warning.

I read that BMW is launchin a new and improved system from March 2014 (in all models bar the X6) onwards.
But when I drove from home to the tyre place poss around 8 miles there were bugger all pressure in the tyre, was shown 8psi. This should of triggered off the warning which it didn't, so this tells me something aint working.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 08:35 AM   #10
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamweaver View Post
But when I drove from home to the tyre place poss around 8 miles there were bugger all pressure in the tyre, was shown 8psi. This should of triggered off the warning which it didn't, so this tells me something aint working.
What pressure was it initialized at?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #11
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Good point, some easy fit type places have been notably shocking in the past for either generating work or not actually carrying out work correctly.

Potentially pressure wasn't actually checked just a visual and if the TPM is then reset, it takes the 8psi as the reference and you are non the wiser alarm wise.
      02-25-2014, 04:43 PM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
This is likely the issue.

I'm aware of users thinking they have initialized the system and have not even checked the tyre pressures first. There has to be the baseline reference, as has been stated. We need it to be of meaning, by being accurate.

The other issue is the system is not initialized correctly, some users think they have done it correctly, but not OK'd the action.

Note the pressure drop can be up to 30% before a warning is triggered. A tyre set at 35 psi should trigger before dropping past ~25 psi.

BMW Wrote:

Quote:
Tyre Puncture Warning System (TPWS)
The Tyre Puncture Warning System regularly monitors the tyre pressures of all four tyres by comparing their rotational speed when the vehicle is being driven. Whenever tyre pressure drops by approximately 30 per cent or more, the wheel's rolling radius changes significantly and rotates at a different speed from the other wheels. Via DSC's wheel-speed sensors, the Tyre Puncture Warning System recognises any such major deviation. Within one to three minutes, this system triggers a pressure-loss indication on the instrument panel, plus an audible warning. In a vehicle equipped with the iDrive interface, the warning appears on the Control Display.
HighlandPete

Last edited by HighlandPete; 02-25-2014 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 0