BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Auto Start Stop Problem

02-22-2014, 05:08 AM   #23
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mose999 View Post
How does one disable the Auto Start Stop permanently?
You can't.
      02-22-2014, 06:11 AM   #24
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob UK View Post
You can't.
You can by coding, but it requires some computer equipment.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 07:23 AM   #25
pfons
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: F20 125i M-Performance

It must be done via coding soft (e.g. E-Sys) or by BMW Dealers, but here they dont want to do it much, so I visit non OEM BMW service to do it for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #26
mose999
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 116i F20

Maybe some of you have not seen this, it comes straight from the F20 Handbook.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 10:56 AM   #27
Ozolz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 116i m-sport 2014

Why is there so much hate for the Auto Start/Stop function?

I find it to be great!

Along with Eco Pro I save an extra of 30-40km every 200km I drive
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 01:54 AM   #28
mose999
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 116i F20

I am not sure one can save much with the Auto Start Stop function. One thing is certain, some parts of the car, like the starter motor and possibly the battery will be negatively affected by the Auto Start Stop.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2014, 02:39 AM   #29
Bradbury
Vroooooom!
Norway
Rep
Drives: F20 120d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozolz View Post
Why is there so much hate for the Auto Start/Stop function?

I find it to be great!

Along with Eco Pro I save an extra of 30-40km every 200km I drive
There is no way you save up to 20 % by using auto start/stop and Eco Pro. Even 5 % would be an optimistic figure. You can't trust the blue number in your display. It's pure fiction.

Also, auto start/stop is fine with the 6mt since you have to make the conscious decision of shutting the engine off by taking your foot off the clutch. With the auto box it will shut off whenever you stop, even if you were just stopping for a split-second. That's just annoying and inefficient.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 10:15 AM   #30
Ozolz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 116i m-sport 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradbury View Post
There is no way you save up to 20 % by using auto start/stop and Eco Pro. Even 5 % would be an optimistic figure. You can't trust the blue number in your display. It's pure fiction.

Also, auto start/stop is fine with the 6mt since you have to make the conscious decision of shutting the engine off by taking your foot off the clutch. With the auto box it will shut off whenever you stop, even if you were just stopping for a split-second. That's just annoying and inefficient.
You are probably right. I don't trust the blue numbers at all. But they do show after 200 km that I have +35 km. Thatīs city driving with A LOT of stops waiting for traffic lights with auto start/stop in use.

But driving in a more calm and smoother way does cut down on fuel cost. No way of denying that. How much exactly is individual and depends on many factors.

And driving in Eco Pro urges you to drive calmer since the throttle is less responsive. I just find it relaxing and use it most of the time. The blue + numbers are just and added effect simply reminding you that you do save fuel in eco pro.

I think this is just a mental trick BMW researched, showing a number has a greater effect on the mind rather than not showing any gained kmīs from using EcoPro.

PS. I know about the auto gear box + auto start/stop, its the most insane solution I have tried. Extremely annoying with the delay if the stop is less than 1-2sec. But now I got a manual and the auto start/stop is much easier to control. If I keep the car in gear the auto stop will never kick in. Only if the gear is in neutral will the auto stop become active.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 10:26 AM   #31
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I wonder what the reference for the blue numbers is. You are saving kilometers compared to what? I can usually gather quite large numbers on a trip if I use Eco Pro, but if I use Comfort mode next time on the same distance, I get the same consumption.

I agree that it is just a mind game to make the driver focus on driving in an economic way. I have tried to do mistakes on purpose, like using the wrong gears, and then you lose out on the numbers.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 12:19 PM   #32
bimmerblanco
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 2014

I really hate that function I always deactivate it in my car. You can maybe call me old fashioned but I think in al long term is no good for the car. Maybe you can save some money on gas, but I think that the battery and the ignition parts will f..ck off sooner. I also feel stressed (a mental thing) when the car goes off in the middle of the journey, no matters that itīs stopped I feel a kind of uncomfortable.

I suppose Iīm not a futuristic green person
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 01:49 PM   #33
Bradbury
Vroooooom!
Norway
Rep
Drives: F20 120d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I wonder what the reference for the blue numbers is. You are saving kilometers compared to what?
Probably compared to the type of driving that would land you in jail if the cops saw you.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #34
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradbury View Post
Probably compared to the type of driving that would land you in jail if the cops saw you.

I would do a test by driving hard then using EP for a bit and see if I got an unexpectely large gain as the only reference I can see the car having is the current consumption and projected range data.

Problem is I really don't like the feel of the car in EP so don't know if I can get round to it.
      02-25-2014, 04:04 PM   #35
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

IMO, EcoPro is only useful on (speed-controlled) motorways. Then, rather than watching the blue digits, I prefer to watch the fuel range estimation extend. I've now managed to see a (theoretical) range of 880k for my M135i (kilometres travelled plus estimated range remaining). I'm easily amused
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 06:00 AM   #36
he3at
Rep
Drives: M135i

I have noticed that my M135i is waiting a bit longer to stop the engine. When new and up to around 2000km, it would kill the engine almost exactly the moment the wheels stopped turning. Now, the car has to be stopped for around one second before it decides to stop the engine.

If I want to keep the engine running, I just slap the gearstick into M/S before coming to a halt. BMW could learn a thing from VW - I've driven a current Passat with stop-start and it keeps the engine running if you are holding the car still with light brake pressure. Push harder on the brake and the engine shuts down.

I don't mind the stop start feature at all. I figure it takes a fair amount of fuel to keep a 3.0l straight 6 ticking over, even if the gearbox does feature neutral idle... Of course on warmer days, I do appreciate the engine coming back on again to power the aircon.
Appreciate 0