BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Real Differences Bt Ecopro, Comfort And Sport

02-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #1
bimmerblanco
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 2014

Real Differences Bt Ecopro, Comfort And Sport

Hi,
Beyond of the info that the users manual contain about the Eco-Pro, Confort and Sport modes, I would like to know what are the real and tangible for the driver changes in the engine, suspension, throttle, exhaust, etc. between one and another.

In sport mode I really feel and can appreciate the change in the throttle, direction (its gets harder) and the revs from the tranny.

But in comfort and eco I do not feel a lot of changes. In eco I feel the throttle less responsive but that´s all.

Could you please help me there?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 01:20 PM   #2
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Our car does not have adaptive steering, transmission or suspension, so it seems like the only difference between Comfort and Sport is the throttle mapping. Eco Pro also has differenct throttle mapping, and limits power to the air conditioning, in addition to showing those blue kilometer "savings".

With the transmission in first gear, and clutch pedal in, the RPM limit is different between the modes. Higher in Sport, and lower in Eco Pro. Seems to be some sort of launch control.

Sport+ changes to DTC traction mode and disables cruise control, and otherwise like Sport.

DSC Off will automatically switch to Comfort throttle mapping.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 02:04 PM   #3
JordW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 125d

I do most of my driving in Eco pro and get an extra 10% for each fill up! I do go for many bursts in sport and it makes it like driving a different car when your used to Eco pro.

I have a 125d manual with the variable steering and standard m sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 04:47 PM   #4
BenArcher
Rep
Drives: MG 125i M-Sport

From Comfort to Eco, the throttle gets less responsive, gear changes are earlier and when your foot is off the throttle you just roll with the engine at idle.

Comfort to Sport, the throttle range is compressed (eg peddle half down is now full throttle) which makes it feel much more responsive, gear changes are much more aggressive and the steering gets heavier.

Sport+ = sport but it lets you get sideways more if you try and the auto wont shift up gears for you at red line when in manual mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 02:08 AM   #5
RIOBLAST
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21 ELSD

With the Auto there are twice as many setups since you can go to sport transmission (DS) mode in every setup from ecopro to sport+.

If the car has sport auto transmission, does it really change gear faster than normal auto or is it an illusion due to the much rougher shifting from the gearbox?

When driving on swirly roads, what mode do you use?
Comfort and DS
Sport and D
Sport and DS
Sport+ and D
Sport+ and DS

When doing a fast overtake it feels fastest just to jump to DS since it also downshifts and lets you get off without doing kickdown.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 02:17 AM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

When the car was new, I used Eco Pro quite a lot. Now I generally leave it in Comfort all the time, with a few exceptions. On snowy roads, I select DTC mode, and when I want to play, I select DSC Off.

The car has a manual gearbox, so there are no modes to worry about there.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 02:31 AM   #7
RIOBLAST
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 330xi G21 ELSD

ovekvam: I've ordered a 120d Msport. Since you have the Msport package. Does the wider rear tires make any difference in traction? Especially on wet roads?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 02:43 AM   #8
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIOBLAST View Post
ovekvam: I've ordered a 120d Msport. Since you have the Msport package. Does the wider rear tires make any difference in traction? Especially on wet roads?
I don't use that wheel setup. I went for a square setup of non runflats instead. I drove the demo car with wider runflats in the back, and it seemed to understeer slightly more.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 04:19 AM   #9
Phantom3D
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F21 120d a m-sport

I have a "2014" 120d Msport Sport auto with adaptive msport suspention.

In eco: Coasting is enabled (Gear disengaged while rolling), throttle response seems slower. Automaticly turns on auto stop-start.

Comfort: All is "normal"

In sport/sport +. Gearchages seems more brutal, throttlerespons is higher, it generally chooses a lower gear. Also the adaptive suspention makes the car noticable stiffer. The steering wheel is also much harder to turn. Sport + enables dynamic traction.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #10
JordW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F21 125d

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIOBLAST
I got caught I a heavy wintery storm going up hill in the 125d with standard pirelli Pzero summer tyres on. I thought here we go as the back end started going all over the shop. Just kept enough steady acceleration to get me up the hill and the car got the rear wheels back in check and we went up the hill perfectly (with the traction control light flashing like crazy). This was the first time of driving a RWD in the slippy stuff before but the car did very well. As for the rain I don't find there's many problems but I haven't driven an f20/f21 with a square set up
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #11
Bob UK
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 18d X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordW View Post
I got caught I a heavy wintery storm going up hill in the 125d with standard pirelli Pzero summer tyres on. I thought here we go as the back end started going all over the shop. Just kept enough steady acceleration to get me up the hill and the car got the rear wheels back in check and we went up the hill perfectly (with the traction control light flashing like crazy). This was the first time of driving a RWD in the slippy stuff before but the car did very well. As for the rain I don't find there's many problems but I haven't driven an f20/f21 with a square set up
You did well considering you were on P Zeros, probably as bad as it could have been, well done.