BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Interior quality

04-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #1
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

Interior quality

Hi all,
Took a test drive in the m135i and had a blast! Never has a car left me with such an impact.

Once the joy of hooning around ends does the interior quality start to pester you?
I felt there were some plastics (like the glovebox) that I just didnt want to touch or acknowledge existed in the vehicle. Maybe I'm expecting too much? I have a 10plate 3 series which I don't think is a great interior either but has vaguely better plastics.

All thoughts welcome

Cheers all
Lee
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
Active
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMWM235i and 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leetennis View Post
Hi all,
Took a test drive in the m135i and had a blast! Never has a car left me with such an impact.

Once the joy of hooning around ends does the interior quality start to pester you?
I felt there were some plastics (like the glovebox) that I just didnt want to touch or acknowledge existed in the vehicle. Maybe I'm expecting too much? I have a 10plate 3 series which I don't think is a great interior either but has vaguely better plastics.

All thoughts welcome

Cheers all
Lee
I am so impressed with the drive of the M135i, pure enjoyment. Interior quality is fine with me and fits my needs. I purchased the M135i purely for the handling, performance and every day driving satisfaction. A true sleeper.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
kab_m2
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i, X1 25i, M2 LCI

Agree about the glovebox. It's ridiculously flimsy and its closing mechanism makes it feel about as expensive as a school lunchbox! But that's the only thing in the interior that I feel is a let down. Everything else is fine.

Have you checked out the A class? Now that is cheap interior IMO

Audi A3 on the other hand... Wow
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 11:07 PM   #4
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Yes, in all honesty, the M135i interior is not even quite up there with my 2008 Audi 8P S3, which always felt like a special place when I got in. That said, I am not disappointed, and really enjoy the car for many other reasons
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #5
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

It is all relative
You cannot have the same quality in a 'base' model to that of the high end
The adage is The more expensive the model the better the materials used
1er is to 7er
A3 is to A8
A class is to S class

All are still miles in front of the other offerings from elsewhere eg USA China Thailand etc
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 01:17 AM   #6
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Tactile feedback

With respect, I don't drive the glovebox....all the pieces I see and touch; seat, gear change, dashboard, steering wheel, middle consul all feel solid and high quality. The press has been utterly uniform in its praise for the price/performance of the M135i. You'd think there'd have to be some compromises somewhere to get to that price level.....and the glove box will still be there and probably working as designed after 100,000 miles.

I was sitting in the car the other evening playing around with the ICE and remember feeling what a great cabin it was from a tactile, ergonomics and illumination standpoint.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 02:04 AM   #7
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
With respect, I don't drive the glovebox....all the pieces I see and touch; seat, gear change, dashboard, steering wheel, middle consul all feel solid and high quality. The press has been utterly uniform in its praise for the price/performance of the M135i. You'd think there'd have to be some compromises somewhere to get to that price level.....and the glove box will still be there and probably working as designed after 100,000 miles.

I was sitting in the car the other evening playing around with the ICE and remember feeling what a great cabin it was from a tactile, ergonomics and illumination standpoint.
I am not all that impressed with the stalks behind the steering wheel. In older BMWs they were perfectly sprung, and had tactile feedback that enabled the driver full control of turn signals. Two blinks? No problem. One blink left, and then one right? No problem. With the modern cars, it is close to impossible. When going left in a roundabout, I have to tip it hard left, then double tap right. Both me and my wife struggle to become friends with these stalks. I also miss the ability to have intermittent wiping not based on a rain sensor.

Otherwise, I think the interior quality is very nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 02:13 AM   #8
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
It is all relative
You cannot have the same quality in a 'base' model to that of the high end
The adage is The more expensive the model the better the materials used
1er is to 7er
A3 is to A8
A class is to S class
I think you mean A1 to A8.

But it annoys me that the larger cars are better equipped. I want the really small cars to be offered with top of the line parts, and the large cars with economy parts. I don't mind if a 1-series car is more expensive than a 7-series car. After all, big cars are mostly for big families, and they usually have less money to spend on cars than a single person? And the smallest cars are often for people living in very urban areas, where the cost of living is high.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 09:53 AM   #9
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '15 F30 328i '15 F12 650i

I find the interior quality to be of exactly the same standard as the F30, which isn't bad at all!

I must say I'm very happy with it. I would prefer things like door pockets and glove box to be lined in felt not plastic, as it reduces the noise of things rattling around in them. That's the only complaint I have.

Compared to the A3, I find that interior to be very spartan which makes it look a bit stripped out and cheap, although I can't fault the actual quality of it.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
motherdear511
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey 128i

Interior wood trim

I have ordered a 128i in mineral grey with an interior trim of fineline stream. I have seen it in pics, but not in person. I anticpate it will "pop" in the all black interior. Anyone in this forum had the opportunity to see it in person? Any input would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
raffoul232
Private
Rep
Drives: m135i xdrive

2 things annoy me and that's about it, interior door handles ie some led light in it or smth lights up at night gives it a nicer ambient scene, second we can't lock the glove box which is frustrating. The rest is very well built pure German quality.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #12
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherdear511 View Post
I have ordered a 128i in mineral grey with an interior trim of fineline stream. I have seen it in pics, but not in person. I anticpate it will "pop" in the all black interior. Anyone in this forum had the opportunity to see it in person? Any input would be appreciated
We have it on our car. I think it matches the Valencia Orange exterior, but then again interior decoration is not really something I am skilled at.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #13
leetennis
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 M Sport

Ok cool, I think the car I test drove was being totally abused anyways the air con had a bit of a rattle too so the cabin was abit of a let down, however steering stalks and everything else that had a high frequency of tactile use felt good, radio buttons and glovebox were iffy.
I can't stand rattles and cost cut interiors just didn't have enough time to take it all in especially when flooring it at the lights was such fun!
Cheers for the help guys
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #14
motherdear511
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
We have it on our car. I think it matches the Valencia Orange exterior, but then again interior decoration is not really something I am skilled at.
Thanks for the reply. Here in the states we do not have that color option for the 128i. I will have to wait to see it!
Appreciate 0