BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > One week in Europe- where to go?

06-04-2015, 04:18 PM   #23
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
If you fly into Zurich, why not tour parts of Switzerland or the lakes in northern Italy? If you fly into Frankfurt, you could also head to Belgium and try all of the amazing beer.
      06-04-2015, 04:32 PM   #24
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
So far you have said a lot about the generality of Europe but haven't given any solid recommendations as to where to go...
Fair enough. If you want to do Italy, you cannot go wrong with Firenze and it's surroundings.

If you want to focus on France, then focus on de Côte d'Azur.

That being said, Scandinavia is completely underrated as a tourist destination in Europe. But let's not get distracted!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 09:17 AM   #25
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
We go to Italy pretty regularly and can't get enough of it. Stay out of the big cities aside from Rome.

Rome is a special place. People say you can't see the whole city in a lifetime but I think we did a pretty good job in a week taking our time and I think one could see the main points in about 3 days. My wife was 7 mos pregnant and we were still able to walk everywhere.

Venice is probably the most beautiful city I've ever seen but it's ruined by hordes of tourists. Sad, because it's truly breathtaking.

Florence I could take or leave.

Lucca is a fantastic little walled town. Very beautiful, nice people (typical of the entire country), and small enough to really get the lay of the land. It's also a great location to use as a hub for a long stay. Completely devoid of the riff-raff (pickpockets, people hawking fake bags, etc).

If you feel like you HAVE to see Pisa, just take a couple of pictures and get the fuck out of there. It's a shithole aside from the leaning tower.

Bologna is my favorite city. It's just badass and all of the car factories are close by.

P1et is absolutely right about the real Italy being in smaller towns. I also completely agree with him that renting a car is the best way to experience the country (except in Rome, no need for a car there).

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold

Last edited by KingOfJericho; 06-05-2015 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 09:27 AM   #26
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
We go to Italy pretty regularly and can't get enough of it. Stay out of the big cities aside from Rome.

Rome is a special place. People say you can't see the whole city in a lifetime but I think we did a pretty good job in a week taking our time and I think one could see the main points in about 3 days. My wife was 7 mos pregnant and we were still able to walk everywhere.

Venice is probably the most beautiful city I've ever seen but it's ruined by hordes of tourists. Sad, because it's truly breathtaking.

Florence I could take or leave.

Lucca is a fantastic little walled town. Very beautiful, nice people (typical of the entire country), and small enough to really get the lay of the land. It's also a great location to use as a hub for a long stay. Completely devoid of the riff-raff (pickpockets, people hawking fake bags, etc).

If you feel like you HAVE to see Pisa, just take a couple of pictures and get the fuck out of there. It's a shithole aside from the leaning tower.

Bologna is my favorite city. It's just badass and all of the car factories are close by.

P1et is absolutely right about the real Italy being in smaller towns. I also completely agree with him that renting a car is the best way to experience the country (except in Rome, no need for a car there).
So I'm thinking we will rent a car once we get to Zurich and then drive. At this point perhaps drive to northern Italy and explore the little towns there? My brother has never been to Europe so I was thinking of showing him the Alps. I looked at Sixt and the prices are not bad for a 1 series rental. It would be fun to rip through the Alps on the way to Italy.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 09:34 AM   #27
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
So I'm thinking we will rent a car once we get to Zurich and then drive. At this point perhaps drive to northern Italy and explore the little towns there? My brother has never been to Europe so I was thinking of showing him the Alps. I looked at Sixt and the prices are not bad for a 1 series rental. It would be fun to rip through the Alps on the way to Italy.
Definitely. We went to Lake Como last trip and it's stunning. Also check out Turin as a hub and see Piedmont. I've always wanted to check it out. DO NOT GO TO MILAN. It's a waste of time.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 12:19 PM   #28
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Definitely. We went to Lake Como last trip and it's stunning. Also check out Turin as a hub and see Piedmont. I've always wanted to check it out. DO NOT GO TO MILAN. It's a waste of time.
Would 6 days be enough? I could squeeze in one more day making it 7 by leaving Bahamas one day early.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 12:20 PM   #29
Spectre
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
I just got back from London, Brussels, Bonn, and Munich. all over 10 days. It wasnt enough time. I suggest flying into frankfurt and spending as much time in one area. Germany is beautiful and lots of activities and things to see. rent a car and go all over Bavaria.

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #30
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJB1990 View Post
I just got back from London, Brussels, Bonn, and Munich. all over 10 days. It wasnt enough time. I suggest flying into frankfurt and spending as much time in one area. Germany is beautiful and lots of activities and things to see. rent a car and go all over Bavaria.
Trust me when I say I have a love for Bavaria. That's why in the last year I have gone back 3 times and plan on going back this year for Oktoberfest. Hence I don't want to go to Germany again this time around. I want to explore other places (and should per Bimmette hehe).
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 01:31 PM   #31
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Quote:
Would 6 days be enough? I could squeeze in one more day making it 7 by leaving Bahamas one day early.
I've done an eight day, a seven day, and one 10 day trip. Depending on what you want to do, 6 days could be plenty of time. Just make sure you don't run yourself ragged. The best part of Italy is taking it slow. If you try to squeeze too much in, you've done it wrong. Enjoy the wine and the restaurants and the wine and the cafes and the wine and also the wine and the wine.

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 01:32 PM   #32
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

Quote:
Or Florence IMO, was nothing but shopping and long lines to see a copy of David as the original is not in good shape. Most disappointing time in Italy for me.
We spent 3 days in the Cinque Terre and I could easily go back spend a week there. Also Tuscany could spend a whole week there just wandering around. We found a farmhouse that did B&B's for a group of us, 3 couples, and that was excellent. Got to know the people and their lifestyle.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 01:44 PM   #33
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Trust me when I say I have a love for Bavaria. That's why in the last year I have gone back 3 times and plan on going back this year for Oktoberfest. Hence I don't want to go to Germany again this time around. I want to explore other places (and should per Bimmette hehe).

Were you the guy who took a last minute trip to Munich last year for Oktoberfest? A couple friends and I were planning on going this year and those plans fell through. Now it sounds like it may be back on again, so I am hoping it is not too difficult to find lodging. I hear rooms book up for Oktoberfest many months in advance.
      06-05-2015, 02:16 PM   #34
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Were you the guy who took a last minute trip to Munich last year for Oktoberfest? A couple friends and I were planning on going this year and those plans fell through. Now it sounds like it may be back on again, so I am hoping it is not too difficult to find lodging. I hear rooms book up for Oktoberfest many months in advance.
That was probably me.

I wouldn't worry about places to stay unless you are set on booking hotels near city center. Last year I booked a room thru airbnb. I will go that route again this year if I do end up going (have a few plans going on at the moment). Airbnb is much cheaper (oftentimes you can rent the entire place) and you get to stay with locals who can show you around. Just book a month or so in advance and you're golden.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 02:44 PM   #35
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Ive been wanting to go to Europe for a while now, but as soon as I try to start planing I get overwhelmed and just end up in Mexico shit faced.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 02:52 PM   #36
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
With the stregth of the dollar, it's about 25% cheaper to go to Europe than it was in the fall. It's a great time to go!

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #37
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Amsterdayum of course.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 03:09 PM   #38
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
With the stregth of the dollar, it's about 25% cheaper to go to Europe than it was in the fall. It's a great time to go!
Agreed.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #39
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Amsterdayum of course.
Yeah it would be fun. But this time I'm more interested in relaxing in the southern area.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 07:10 PM   #40
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Lake Maggiore was very nice also.

Don't forget to drive through the Gothard tunnel!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 11:35 PM   #41
e92_boost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Smart Car

Go to Albania you'll LOVE it, if only i was there to show you guys around
      06-05-2015, 11:37 PM   #42
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92_boost
Go to Albania you'll LOVE it, if only i was there to show you guys around
My brother was saying maybe Greece since everything should be dirt cheap. It does sound nice but is quite far from Zurich. That would take a few days out of our time just to travel to and from Zurich.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 12:01 AM   #43
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJB1990 View Post
You and your Germany obsession. Du musst Deutsch lernen since you go so often!

I vote for Italy since it's a good country for your bro as a newbie to EU. Rent a car in Zurich and play it by ear. There is lots to see but it depends what you guys like. Personally I think all the main cities (like Rome, Florence, Milan, Venice, etc) are great but I can move on in a day or two. Others can spend a week in each place. Try to make it to Pompeii though!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 12:07 AM   #44
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
You and your Germany obsession. Du musst Deutsch lernen since you go so often!

I vote for Italy since it's a good country for your bro as a newbie to EU. Rent a car in Zurich and play it by ear. There is lots to see but it depends what you guys like. Personally I think all the main cities (like Rome, Florence, Milan, Venice, etc) are great but I can move on in a day or two. Others can spend a week in each place. Try to make it to Pompeii though!
Haha yah! I've been learning German through audiobook on and off. Started French too but stopped after a few days (been busy).

For me I would do Venice and Rome. Florence I can skip and I keep hearing that there is nothing in Milan. I'm watching Rick Steves Europe right now to get some ideas. I do like the thoughts of just driving and stopping at places that catch our eyes.
Appreciate 0