BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > BMW Corporate Counsel

06-07-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
persianbmw91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

BMW Corporate Counsel

Hi all I imagine there are some senior attorneys lurking on the boards. I am a recent law school grad and just curious as to how someone can make their way into BMWs in house counsel. I realize I personally would need several years experience before they'll consider me, but does anyone have any insight into how to land a job with BMW corporate?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 12:33 PM   #2
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

How about you start with something simple.

Like the BMW Careers page

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Careers/
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 10:00 AM   #3
persianbmw91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post

thanks for the reply, I checked unfortunately they are not currently hiring any legal positions. Its also rare to get hired by a company right out of school, I was mostly curious what the most common career trajectory was getting into bmw.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 04:13 PM   #4
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by persianbmw91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post

thanks for the reply, I checked unfortunately they are not currently hiring any legal positions. Its also rare to get hired by a company right out of school, I was mostly curious what the most common career trajectory was getting into bmw.
You need to network more buddy,with people in the industry and do some ground work of your own.
Go get that job,simple as that.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 07:00 PM   #5
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
You need to network more buddy,with people in the industry and do some ground work of your own.
if being legal counsel in the auto industry interests you...look at the industry as a whole (across all brands)...or better than that, a large firm that is known to sue the auto industry...

learn from the other side and become a commodity with insight on how a prosecutor goes after car companies...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 07:03 PM   #6
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needbmwpartzz View Post
if being legal counsel in the auto industry interests you...look at the industry as a whole (across all brands)...or better than that, a large firm that is known to sue the auto industry...

learn from the other side and become a commodity with insight on how a prosecutor goes after car companies...
Good advice right there!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 03:08 PM   #7
bd5400
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 328xi E92

First thing is what law school you went to. If you didn't go to a Tier 1 school (or even one of the top 14) you're going to have an uphill battle.

The fastest way into a corporate counsel position at a company like BMW, in my opinion, is to work for a large full service law firm that has auto industry clients. If you are hired into the firm but not in the proper practice group, you'll want to eventually change that and actually work with the auto clients. This will get you the experience you will need to be a viable candidate.

Many corporations look for experience either in the large law firm environment or other corporations. For new graduates, getting into a corporate counsel position is going to be difficult because they rarely have entry-level positions. If you didn't go to a top school, you may have to start at a mid-size firm and work your way up to a larger firm unless you have a "regional" large firm near you that hires from your school.

Just remember the difference between working for a law firm and working for a corporation. A law firm will view you as a revenue stream while a corporation will view you as an expense. You'll need to have the experience to prove to BMW that your contributions are worth the cost of your compensation package. If you can do that, either through a lengthy work history, strong ties to the industry, or direct experience servicing auto clients in a legal setting, you will have an easier time beating other candidates. This is especially important if you aren't located near BMWs corporate offices because you're less likely to be able to directly network with their attorneys.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #8
SheaButter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CP F86 X6M

The best way to edge your way into a giant corp, it to do 1 of 2 things.

1. Wipe the floor clean with them. Maybe start looking to take on some lemons, and then after you've shown a winning hand, let them know you're interested in working for them.

2. Find every filed suit, and scan through them looking for errors to open any of them.

Often times the big wigs overlook the smallest of things, and are looking to hire intelligent people that are willing to scrap for the extra coins hidden in the cup holders .

E93 M3 AC Schnitzer Carbon Fiber - Fully Gutted Exhaust and muffler delete | 2007 DB9 Bone Stock | 2016 428i
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 03:26 PM   #9
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Or do what most law school grads do these days. Become a kick ass bartender, helps if you have a vagina, and then say fuck it...
Appreciate 0