BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Bmw 116i f20 n13 no crank, just clicks

01-16-2024, 07:15 AM   #1
sploosher01
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 116i f20

Bmw 116i f20 n13 no crank, just clicks

hi everyone, hope you can help;
I recently bought a 2011 Bmw 116i f20 n13 as a non runner, I have a donor car of exactly the same model so all parts are interchangeable.

I have now spent days trying to diagnose what is wrong and cannot work it out.
When I try to start the car it just clicks, I then gave 12v to the supply wire and that turned the engine over so I know the starter is working. (I currently have it hooked up on jump leads, not that should make a difference?).
I have tried replacing almost everything (cas, Ecu, fem, fuse box and a few other bits) with no luck.
I have scanned the car to find no significant error codes so im stuck.

I have heard issues with the neutral switch/ brake switch/ P/N switch and maybe a voltage drain can cause issues like this. is there any way of testing this? or any other ideas on what it could be? cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 01:09 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

I had this recently. It turned out the starter ground cable had got rotten and needed replacement. There was also a sudden bunch of errors (DSC, ABS, tyre pressure...) but I don't remember if attaching a jump starter removed those (it just didn't help, the battery was fine).

Extracting the car from an underground parking cost a fortune. I should've paid more attention to the starter hardly working even in a warm underground garage (outside in a frosty weather on a cold car I thought the frost and elderly battery were to blame).
Appreciate 0