BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 135i...Help me decide???

08-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
Xcution
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i mSport

135i...Help me decide???

Hello,

Want to thank you all up front for your inputs. I am trying to purchase my first ever BMW. I am in the military and stationed in germany, so I get some pretty good discounts over here .

I Test drove a 135i and that car is amazing. I mean the sounds the HP/TQ and damn...so much to mention. I also drove drove the 328i it is an awesome car sound is...questionable, the interior is very nice. The 135 is an awesome car and I can get the 2013 135i for 40k (tax free) out the door, maybe a bit less (picture with specs is attached)

Where I need your guys help is in the following. I know a few poeple in the forum is having the same question as me -> Should I get this or the 328i (i got the wife and kid, but who cares right ). Another thing that is bothering me is when are they coming out with a new design for the 1 series or the "2 series".

40k is a lot of money and I want to make sure I make the right decision. Por favor ayudame con esta decision
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d, 118d & 125i f20

If this is your main drive, only car in the garage, I will go for 328i.

That is obviously a bigger car and fit your kid or kid(s) in the back better.

But if you love the performance, 135i is quite unbeatable for that price point.

Piero
      08-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
Xcution
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i mSport

Currently we have a honda accord EX that we use for traveling it is very big and comfy. Before we go back to the states we are getting a 7 seater for the kids so this does not worry me as much.

What is killing me is that the 328 is only a few g's more than the 1 series. Also i keep reading the forums about a 2 series coming out next year. Don't want to pirchase this and next year boom new 1 series or new 2 series is out and i end up hating myself, lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 12:15 AM   #4
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcution View Post
Also i keep reading the forums about a 2 series coming out next year. Don't want to pirchase this and next year boom new 1 series or new 2 series is out and i end up hating myself, lol.
If the size is not an issue to you, go for 135i for that driving pleasure. You have to pay A LOT MORE in order to get something perform better than 135i.

btw, there are always new models coming out. If you are in need of the car now, get that now. The earlier you buy that, the earlier you can start to enjoy it.

You can trade in the 135i for the next new model gonna come out later on
      08-21-2012, 12:24 AM   #5
logiclee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

The new 1 Series was launched late last year and the M135i has only just been released.

That would mean on a typical 5 to 7 year production run the current one series will not be replaced for at least another 4 to 6 years.

If a 2 Series comes along then it will be aiming for a slightly different segment than the 1. The 2 series is supposed to be a Coupe and Convertible based on the 1 series chassis.
As you are looking at a hatchback for family duties then you wouldn't be interested in the 2 Series.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/34994/bmw-2-series-way

Your only choice is 1 Series or 3 Series and as they are both excellent cars and both very recent models it's all down to the space/power ratio that you require.

Cheers
Lee
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 01:10 AM   #6
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclee View Post
That would mean on a typical 5 to 7 year production run the current one series will not be replaced for at least another 4 to 6 years.

Good suggest Lee, as each new model have around 7 years of production life.

The current gen will have at least another 6 years of "current shape". Usually small "face lift" will comes in every 2 to 3 years.
      08-21-2012, 02:27 AM   #7
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

You also need to consider that even though the F20/F21 is the new shape the 135i engine in it is not, it still comes from the previous stable (good as it is).

Depending the fickleness of public perception of the new 2013 135i it may effect the resale of the current 135i in years to come. (possibly a 2.5lt bi turbo 4 is the rumour)

The 328i is a great choice as the F30 is also a new model and uses the new engine technology, however it shares the same engine as the 125i (125i is slightly detuned through the exhaust) and it is not available in a 'M Sport' so it will not handle or have the acceleration you want when compared to the 135i.

You may want to consider waiting until the new 135i (5 door) with the new engine is released in 2013, or, if you want to save a few dollars now, go for a 125i M Sport with M brakes and have it M chip tuned and exhauste mods done (328i /125i Mtek expected = 225kw) when it comes out early next year.

The interior room is not that different to the 3er.

The balanced handling of the 125i M sport makes it a good allrounder, but with those extra horses, it will be a wolf in sheep's clothing. That's is the reason I went for the 125i M sport. Most cars depreciate at about 50% after three years so you have to work out your best value for the best driving experience. I think the M Sport will be the 'sort after' model in years to come and will have a better market value.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 05:06 AM   #8
alex004600
Rep
Drives: BMW 325TDS

I prefer the 328I which has a beautiful design, more space and confort for an everyday use, despite the six inline performance and sound of the 135I. The 328I has also a good performance. I would pick the M135I for a track day car, for e.g.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep

I think some of you guys may be on the wrong forum. Yes the F30 is a good looker, however it should be noted that this is the F20 forum and should be for those who like or own the F20/F21. Don't get me wrong, I think the F30 is a great car and will appeal to those who like sedans, but for me I now prefer a sport hatchback that is versatile and handles better. It is not the cost difference.
I prefer the look of the F20 M Sport (my opinion) and the interior of the F20 is not that different to the F30 in design or layout.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
pierokwong
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
I think the F30 is a great car and will appeal to those who like sedans, but for me I now prefer a sport hatchback that is versatile and handles better. It is not the cost difference.
I prefer the look of the F20 M Sport (my opinion) and the interior of the F20 is not that different to the F30 in design or layout.
+1

Definitely nothing to do withe the cost difference.

Even I've tried the entire F30 series. But I just feel the F20 handle better.
      08-22-2012, 04:30 AM   #11
Racing Teatray
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
You also need to consider that even though the F20/F21 is the new shape the 135i engine in it is not, it still comes from the previous stable (good as it is).

Depending the fickleness of public perception of the new 2013 135i it may effect the resale of the current 135i in years to come. (possibly a 2.5lt bi turbo 4 is the rumour)

The 328i is a great choice as the F30 is also a new model and uses the new engine technology, however it shares the same engine as the 125i (125i is slightly detuned through the exhaust) and it is not available in a 'M Sport' so it will not handle or have the acceleration you want when compared to the 135i.

You may want to consider waiting until the new 135i (5 door) with the new engine is released in 2013, or, if you want to save a few dollars now, go for a 125i M Sport with M brakes and have it M chip tuned and exhauste mods done (328i /125i Mtek expected = 225kw) when it comes out early next year.

The interior room is not that different to the 3er.

The balanced handling of the 125i M sport makes it a good allrounder, but with those extra horses, it will be a wolf in sheep's clothing. That's is the reason I went for the 125i M sport. Most cars depreciate at about 50% after three years so you have to work out your best value for the best driving experience. I think the M Sport will be the 'sort after' model in years to come and will have a better market value.
What 2013 135i?

Are we talking coupe or hatchback?

On the coupe front, the current version's lifecycle is surely way too far gone to be adding new engines at this stage. The OP was looking at a 135i coupe. Cracking car - I had one and really enjoyed it. Distinctly more car than the 125i version. But at this stage in the production cycle, I imagine residuals will be quite dismal. The new version will be called the 2-series and isn't about to launch imminently.

On the hatch front, BMW already offers the 125i and the M135i, which are a gnat's chuff apart price-wise when you compare like-for-like specs, so I fail to see where or why you could or would insert a normal 135i inbetween them.

Furthermore, why would BMW go to all the trouble of engineering the M135i to take a very well regarded six pot that is used throughout its current range of models if next year it's going to replace it with a new four cylinder? And I would have thought engineering economies of scale dictate that any M235i should use the same engine as the M135i.

And, far be it for me to suggest that, if they are going to change the M135i/M235i to a 4-pot engine, then we'd all better get down to the nearest BMW dealer sharpish and get one of the 6-cylinder versions before it's too late. Because frankly that's the whole point - nothing else in the budget offers the option of such a beefy engine with a manual gearbox, so you overlook the car's shortcomings (mostly aesthetic) for the overall package. But if you're taking the drivetrain out of the equation (ie shoving in some underwhelming 4 pot alternative), I would wait for the new Audi S3 Sportback. Similarly-engined but really much better-looking and more desirable as an object than the rather unfortunate-looking F20. Either that, or fork out considerably more than a 335i.

Maybe I'm spoilt after a succession of tuneful engines (Alfa V6, Mercedes V8, BMW V10 and several BMW straight sixes) but most four cylinder engines just don't quite cut it on the character front. They can get close-ish but it's still no cigar.

Current: Macan GTS
Previous: 440i GC, M135i, E60 M5, Z1, 330d, 135i, Alfa 156 GTA, Mercedes 500E, Audi S3, Audi A3 quattro, VW Golf GTI 16v

Last edited by Racing Teatray; 08-22-2012 at 04:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 05:14 AM   #12
BMWDAD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Macan

http://blog.caranddriver.com/m-perfo...next-gen-bmws/
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 07:14 AM   #13
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland's Advocate View Post
What 2013 135i?

Are we talking coupe or hatchback?

On the coupe front, the current version's lifecycle is surely way too far gone to be adding new engines at this stage. The OP was looking at a 135i coupe. Cracking car - I had one and really enjoyed it. Distinctly more car than the 125i version. But at this stage in the production cycle, I imagine residuals will be quite dismal. The new version will be called the 2-series and isn't about to launch imminently.

On the hatch front, BMW already offers the 125i and the M135i, which are a gnat's chuff apart price-wise when you compare like-for-like specs, so I fail to see where or why you could or would insert a normal 135i inbetween them.

Furthermore, why would BMW go to all the trouble of engineering the M135i to take a very well regarded six pot that is used throughout its current range of models if next year it's going to replace it with a new four cylinder? And I would have thought engineering economies of scale dictate that any M235i should use the same engine as the M135i.

And, far be it for me to suggest that, if they are going to change the M135i/M235i to a 4-pot engine, then we'd all better get down to the nearest BMW dealer sharpish and get one of the 6-cylinder versions before it's too late. Because frankly that's the whole point - nothing else in the budget offers the option of such a beefy engine with a manual gearbox, so you overlook the car's shortcomings (mostly aesthetic) for the overall package. But if you're taking the drivetrain out of the equation (ie shoving in some underwhelming 4 pot alternative), I would wait for the new Audi S3 Sportback. Similarly-engined but really much better-looking and more desirable as an object than the rather unfortunate-looking F20. Either that, or fork out considerably more than a 335i.

Maybe I'm spoilt after a succession of tuneful engines (Alfa V6, Mercedes V8, BMW V10 and several BMW straight sixes) but most four cylinder engines just don't quite cut it on the character front. They can get close-ish but it's still no cigar.

Woland's Advocate, why are you on this forum if you dislike the F20. (or in your words 'rather unfortunate-looking' F20).
This forum is for F20 /F21enthusiasts.

I also hate to see the 6 vanish, however just because you think they should keep the 6 is not a valid reason.

I also have had AMG Mercs, BMW 335i and M3, Ferarri 360 Moderna and an Alfa V6 (woeful car) amounst others.
We live in a changing world where smaller, versatile cars with powerful eccomomical engines are becoming the choice of more people. Once upon a time a E Class Merc or 5er were considerd family sedans, now the C Class and 3er are the family cars and most are 4 pots (turbo charged).

I do understand you liking for a 6, however like most companies, BMW has to face every decreasing emission levels to comply to and be able to provide vehicles so they build engines accordingly.
The rumours of a 2.5 litre bi turbo 4 pot begins to make sense if you are to comply to much lower emissions as already evident in the new 4 pot engines used in the 1er , X1 X5 and 3er models.

You only have to see how many hybrids are out there now to understand the goal posts have shifted, like it or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 11:27 AM   #14
Racing Teatray
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i GC

I don't dislike the F20. Far from it - I've ordered a 5dr manual M135i to replace my M5. But that's because it's a small practical well-made sporty 5dr car with a beefy 6-cylinder engine and a manual gearbox offering epic performance (a combination that as far as I can tell is unique in the market). It's emphatically not because I am blind to the fact that it's hardly the most attractive design. Actually, I like the overall shape and most of the design, but those headlights are a true "WTF where they thinking" moment. So, to be totally clear, if it didn't have the 6-cylinder engine or the manual gearbox, I wouldn't be buying one. I'm afraid the 125i doesn't really raise my pulse.

I totally understand mainstream "white goods" cars having four cylinder engines, and the GTI-class has traditionally had them to good effect. But cars like the M135i are not "white goods" and are not aimed at commuters or the cost-conscious, nor are they operating in GTI territory. They are surely halo models aimed at either enthusiasts or wealthy downsizers who want smaller cars that offer all the benefits of a big luxury car (including lots of effortless and cultured performance) in a small package (the Mk3 Golf VR6 showed us 20 years ago that there was a strong market for the luxury experience in a small car package). Fuel economy is not the primary concern for either as a general rule (and while we're on the topic of eco-issues, multi-cylinders are not automatically dirty (the CO2 figures for the M135i are under 170 whatever-they-call-thems: unimagineable for a 300+bhp 6-pot a couple of years ago)). And, anyway, ignoring the E30 M3, whose engine was never its highlight, most great sporting BMWs have been defined by sonorous straight sixes. It would be a pity if BMW lost sight of that.

Current: Macan GTS
Previous: 440i GC, M135i, E60 M5, Z1, 330d, 135i, Alfa 156 GTA, Mercedes 500E, Audi S3, Audi A3 quattro, VW Golf GTI 16v
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #15
BMWDAD
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 Porsche Macan

Well said ^ Woland's Advocate, you just described me.

Looking forward (USA) to the

M 235i coupe
VW GTI

M435i
Corvette C7 (just in case they get it right)
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 05:47 AM   #16
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep

It appears that my comments made about those knocking the styling of the F20 and promoting 3er have sparked some to comment about it.

I have no problem with the various comments or observations being made by those who do not like the look of the F20. Each to their own

My comments about the use of this forum still stands " It is a 1er F20 forum"
(including the F21 as a stable mate and all the varients of 4 and 6 pot engines)
and as such, it should be relevant to those model/s.

Yes, we are all entitled to our opinions. However the posts and comments should be specific to this forum.

I really enjoy the different points of view being offered.

Many of the posts on this forum have help me make my choices when I was ordering my F20. Thanks to all who contribute.

If I had, or was interested in a 3er I would go onto a 3er forum. Having had BMW 1, 3 and 5 series in the past, I respect that this forum is for the F20/F21 and have tried to keep it relevant.

Personally I think the F20 M Sport with xenons is a good looker

I had one following me today and I was impressed with the look of the angel eyes and the front view. It was a VO M Sport (which size motor it had did not concern me)

Discussing the size of the engines that are shared between models is not the problem or the likes or dislikes. That is a personal choice.
I would be tempted to buy a M1 if it became available in the F20/F21 format

For those who do not own and are not thinking of purchasing the F20/ F21, you should find another forum to voice your opinions about other models

For those who think the F20/F21 is an ugly dog
All I can say is "I really like the ugly dog" and it bites
I would like to think that most who post on this forum would agree.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 05:51 AM   #17
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

Been thinking about a 2.5 ltr 4 pot and it doesnt fit with BMW's own thinking that each cylinder should be 500cc. Hence the new 1.5ltr 3 cyl etc. Unless thay are thinking of a 5cyl 2.5 twin turbo?
      08-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #18
alex004600
Rep
Drives: BMW 325TDS

People are free to give opinions. Being on a F20 forum doesn´t mean we have to give only positive points to that model. Note that the question was refering a F30 model

Respect
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #19
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep

Xcution

The thread got a bit off track

The spec sheet says you are looking at a 135i coupe (previous model 1er interior) so it is not a F20/F21 and you reference the F30 328i as an option.

Many have voiced their differing opinions of the engines, design styles and interiors etc so to put it in a simple format
The real consideration is if you are going to keep and then sell the car in Germany or take it back to the USA later and want to buy a great BMW.

If you are only going to use the car whilst you are there in Germany go for the best of both worlds and buy a F20 M135i 5 door.

It has more sting and better handling than a 328i and a similar looking interior (be it slightly smaller).

You get the sheer driving pleasure when you have it to yourself, and the wife is happy with the 5 door hatch.

There are some brilliant roads around Europe to drive a M135i on. If price is a factor go for the 125M Sport.

If you intend to take the car back to the USA, consider a 328i or wait until the 235i or M2 comes out.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 03:34 AM   #20
Patrick BMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Garage List
2016 BMW 430iAM-Sport  [0.00]
2012 125i  [9.00]
+1
if it comes with 5 doors and the 8-speed auto box, then the 135is is a must if you want a thrilling ride thats also family friendly. Go get!!!
Appreciate 0