BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > F20 116iA poor acceleration?

06-05-2012, 02:48 AM   #1
DirtRoad
Registered
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i MineralGrey metallic

F20 116iA poor acceleration?

I have had my new F20 for about 2 months now. What I'm wondering is that while the car accelerates pretty nicely when pressing the gas pedal moderately, so once "kicked down" the RPM meter jumps up to over 6000 and the car feels like "glued". I.e. the engine makes a hell of a noise but almost no power is transfered to the wheels. Why is that? I have got the automatic transmission.

Is it just that this engine hasn't got enough power to use the kickdown mode properly as in my previous car which had a VAG 160hp engine you could always trust that there's enough power in any situation and using the kickdown mode was a pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 01:56 AM   #2
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Hi
This is a problem with a lot of new cars. On dirt roads, whilst the traction control is 'on' your onboard computers will not engauge the kick down fully if as it senses initial 'slip' on the surface and therefore electronically drops power transfer through the auto. The more you give it the less power it allows to transfer.
Try turning off your TC and have some fun
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 03:48 AM   #3
biologic
Rep
Drives: F20 118i

Yes, I happened to witness the same thing yesterday.
Mine is 118i and I was on a wet (slippery) road yesterday
and I kicked down just to test the behaviour of the car.
It went a little bit tail happy for 1-2 secs and then
traction control on, all revv and no honey :S
For the record, I don't experience this on a clean dry tarmac.

PS : Strange though I presumed DTC would effect on engine control
not the transmission. It does drink the gas but spit no power...

Last edited by biologic; 06-06-2012 at 03:50 AM.. Reason: note
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 04:01 AM   #4
pista
Rep
Drives: F10, F20

which model you were using? if you use the comfort mode or ECO pro mode, it will not allow out to pick up too fast. that's why i heard from the sale people
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 04:52 AM   #5
DirtRoad
Registered
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i MineralGrey metallic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pista View Post
which model you were using? if you use the comfort mode or ECO pro mode, it will not allow out to pick up too fast. that's why i heard from the sale people
I see, it might be the comfort mode limiting the acceleration speed, as I've experienced the issue also on dry tarmac.

Can anyone here confirm that this is something that the comfort mode does?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 05:38 AM   #6
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtRoad View Post
I see, it might be the comfort mode limiting the acceleration speed, as I've experienced the issue also on dry tarmac.

Can anyone here confirm that this is something that the comfort mode does?
It's definitely there in EcoPro mode, but Comfort is a sort of "normal" mode and should have a normal behaviour when it comes to throttle response, gear shift and acceleration.
"Sport" and "Sport+" operates one gear lower, so here you should be able to pick up torque and power faster.
      06-14-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Whilst signing up for the M125 on Tuesday, I asked their BMW chief mechanic about this for you. I am not sure which box you have in yours.
He says that in European models the 'normal' mode programme has a lowered slip setting for icy or wet roads. This effects the kickdown ability in the 'Normal' and the delivery of power but allows the kickdown in 'Sport' mode. He says if you own a M pack why would you leave it in 'Normal'. His words; Drive it in 'Sport', stuff the fuel economy and have loads of fun.
He suggests that if anyone is ordering a new F20 they should get the manual box or the 'Sport Auto' with paddles as it has a different programme to the standard 'Auto' and is designed to enhance power delivery.
He tells me that in Australia, we get 'Tropical version' F20 so there are different things in the car like the heater/ aircon design and engine/box programmes so the kickdown will work in both the Normal and Sport modes here.
You may be able to have the progamme modified in yours when you get it serviced or wait until the M tuning upgrade is available.
Appreciate 0