BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M135i manual vs auto?

03-16-2013, 04:23 AM   #1
Mr Buck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i (soon)

M135i manual vs auto?

Just wanted to know what the M135i owners on here think is the best transmission for the car? On paper it seems like a no brainer as the Auto offers slightly better economy and a quicker 0-60.
Having spoken to my step dad who has owned countless BMW's and drives them day to day at all speeds for the Police, he said after having his current 530 in Auto he wishes he'd opted for the manual. He said the drive just isn't as engaging as the 330 manuals he drives at work.
I am looking to order my car in the next few weeks, and will do my best to test drive both transmission's so I can see for myself
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #2
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

After the test drives it will be easier for you to choose
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #3
Active
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMWM235i and 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Buck View Post
Just wanted to know what the M135i owners on here think is the best transmission for the car? On paper it seems like a no brainer as the Auto offers slightly better economy and a quicker 0-60.
Having spoken to my step dad who has owned countless BMW's and drives them day to day at all speeds for the Police, he said after having his current 530 in Auto he wishes he'd opted for the manual. He said the drive just isn't as engaging as the 330 manuals he drives at work.
I am looking to order my car in the next few weeks, and will do my best to test drive both transmission's so I can see for myself
After driving manual for the last 15 years, I was absolutely amazed how quick and efficient the M135i auto drives. In fact after test driving the auto M135i back in November 12 I had no hesitation in purchasing the auto. It is one incredible car and I look forward to driving the car every day. Certainly don't miss the manual option! Drive both options and see what is best for you
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 06:05 AM   #4
logiclee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

As you are in the UK and looking at right hand drive cars you may find the pedals are very offset in the manual.
I found the clutch pedal didn't sit naturally under my left foot.

Not a big issue as we wanted an auto anyway and the ZF8hp is probably the best auto gearbox on sale.

Cheers
Lee
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
BMW_M2
Private First Class
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

In Hong Kong, Auto and manual is the same price. So I chose Auto, and the fact that having an Auto would be easier to resell in the future.

Instagram: jy8xx8
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
hwelvaar
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i MT

You might want to check/continue in this thread for auto vs manual opinions:

http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ht=manual+auto
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #7
Mr Buck
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclee View Post
As you are in the UK and looking at right hand drive cars you may find the pedals are very offset in the manual.
I found the clutch pedal didn't sit naturally under my left foot.

Not a big issue as we wanted an auto anyway and the ZF8hp is probably the best auto gearbox on sale.

Cheers
Lee
Yeah I read that drivers with big feet may find the manual pedals spacing pretty awkward, but having taken a test drive in December last year in a manual M135i (at the time the only one local dealers could offer for test drives) I found it ok when I was changing gears, but I was wearing plimsole style shoes. I'm definitely going to have a test run in both transmissions before making a final decision.

At the moment i'm more swayed towards the auto tbh as its had rave reviews and the only reviewers with preference to the manual have been racing or track focused reviews, which isn't what I'm looking for in a car, or id save myself some money and go for a 265 cup Megane.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
Mr Buck
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwelvaar View Post
You might want to check/continue in this thread for auto vs manual opinions:

http://f20.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ht=manual+auto
Ahh cheers man, didn't realise there was already a thread. I know my test drive of both transimission types will prove the decider but I thought I'd see what current owners had to say
Appreciate 0