BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Android and SMS on iDrive?

08-09-2012, 05:50 AM   #1
Ossman
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 118d Sport

Garage List
Android and SMS on iDrive? (iPhone info welcome)

Has anyone gotten the Bluetooth Message Access Profile (MAP) thing working with Android phones? I tried it with my mate's Samsung Galaxy S3, and we couldn't figure out how to make it work.

I have the enhanced bluetooth package (6NK), which is listed as the option that gives you "Office" functionality. I've also updated with the latest firmware (3.5.4).

When we paired the phone with the car, we got a notification that the car wanted to access the messages. So so far so good. But I still only have "Contacts" under "Office", and there are no notifications popping up when a new SMS is received.

Has anyone else had some luck? It seems to work a bit randomly for the iOS 6 crowd.

Last edited by Ossman; 08-23-2012 at 04:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
works a treat on ios 6 beta 4

sorry i cannot comment on android
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
Ossman
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
In order to pinpoint where things differ, could you check some things?

- Which options do you have? E.g. 6NK/6NL, Nav?

- Which services did you get check boxes for when pairing? I only got "Telephone", "Data", and "Audio".

- Are there any extra symbols for the phone entry in the bluetooth menu?

- Was "Messages" present in "Office" before you paired the phone?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #4
Ossman
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Was down at the dealer today trying to sort this out. Didn't really get any further. They had a F30 there where things worked fine with a Galaxy S3. Unfortunately there were quite a few things differing (besides being an F30). The interesting options were:

- Nav
- 614 (Internet)
- 615 (?)
- BMW Live
- BMW Apps

Anyone who has Office working without any of these features?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 03:57 AM   #5
Ossman
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
I'm officially an idiot. The reason I couldn't get things to work is because the office functionality is disabled by default, and I had completely missed the menu where you turn it on.

For other idiots like myself, here's where the setting is hiding:

For those curious, I'll answer my own earlier questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossman View Post
- Which options do you have? E.g. 6NK/6NL, Nav?
Enhanced bluetooth (6NK) seems to be the only required option.

Quote:
- Which services did you get check boxes for when pairing? I only got "Telephone", "Data", and "Audio".
No new check boxes show up for the individual phones. It's only the global "Office" check box.

Quote:
- Are there any extra symbols for the phone entry in the bluetooth menu?
No.

Quote:
- Was "Messages" present in "Office" before you paired the phone?
No. The extra office menu entries will only show up when there is an active connection to a phone with this feature. We had the office menu open and lost the connection to the phone, at which point the "Messages" entry promptly disappeared.
      09-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
sl91
Private First Class
France
Rep
Drives: 125i F20

Ossman,

In my case I have two Android phone devices, the Google nexus S model (Jelly Bean 4.1.1) and the Samsung Galaxy Note (ICS 4.0.4). My 125i F20 is equiped with the 6NL bluetooth (together with the pro nav and the large screen). Coupling the first phone with the car was very very easy and everything worked immediately, i.e. phone, contacts and SMS messages. With the Samsung Galaxy note, which is very similar to the Galaxy SII, it was very very tricky. The 6NL was always reading the phone in a kind of an endless process. As a consequence, I was unable to use the basic phone function. After a long investigation I found a solution. In the car bluetooth options, if I disable the images (or pictures) reading from the phone contact list, then the bluetooth works correctely. Don't ask me why. I don't know if this option exists with the other bluetooth options (6NK,...)

I think that the issue has someting to deal with the Samsung software layer (Touchwizz+...)

Hope that this will help

Best regards

sl91
      12-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
hsb
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 718 Spyder

Hi,

The video above is private and not available. Where is the menu to enable SMS etc?

I only get Contacts on my HTC One
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 03:44 AM   #8
hsb
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 718 Spyder

Update, I enabled Office now in the Bluetooth menu.
I now see Contacts and Emails, but not SMS. Any suggestions to get SMS working? I have a HTC One.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 07:41 AM   #9
papertiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F11, F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsb View Post
Update, I enabled Office now in the Bluetooth menu.
I now see Contacts and Emails, but not SMS. Any suggestions to get SMS working? I have a HTC One.
did your HTC ask you something like "BMW wants access to your messages" when you were pairing the phone with the car?
I have a SGS3 and it works like a charm. Have the 6NK option (enhanced BT, no nav). Office enabled in iDrive, both contacts and messages working fine. But I do remember iDrive asking my phone about access to both contact list and messages when pairing.