BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Service manual

10-01-2015, 01:42 PM   #1
Nasher
Rep
Drives: 116i M Sport

Service manual

Hi,

Does anyone have a picture of the service manual that's stamped on each visit? Can't find anything like this in my documentation for the car. Did ask selling bmw dealer but they said its all digital now. Just wanted to check as that doesn't sound right to me. Car is 2012 model. Only service related manual I can find is an 'emergency service handbook'

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 02:26 PM   #2
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Does anyone have a picture of the service manual that's stamped on each visit?
Sure:

(I don't even upload it here for it's so easy to find).

Mine looks the same. I wish I had it "all digital" only, it's so inconvenient to carry/store this thing. It's all right they might have skipped giving you one: you must deserve it. Seriously, query BMW UK if it's available on request or just store the paper proof of service from the shop.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2015, 03:18 PM   #3
Nasher
Rep
Drives: 116i M Sport

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 04:05 AM   #4
neilwilliams
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 116iSE

I've had a 2012 F20 since new and that didn't come with a service book, I was also told it was now all on the key. Similarly I'm in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 04:27 AM   #5
padders
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
Sure:

(I don't even upload it here for it's so easy to find).

Mine looks the same. I wish I had it "all digital" only, it's so inconvenient to carry/store this thing. It's all right they might have skipped giving you one: you must deserve it. Seriously, query BMW UK if it's available on request or just store the paper proof of service from the shop.
I think the actual situation is the exact opposite in that you were lucky to get one at all. For the last 2 or 3 years, service books have been omitted from newly delivered BMWs and if you want one you have to order it from the parts counter and pay around £15 for the privilege. They are also available on eBay for around £10.

They justify this removal of the book as a way of saving paper due to all the servicing being recorded on the car, on the key and on their big clever central computer but what it really means is that when you come to sell you have no way of proving what if any service history your car has unless you sell direct to a dealer. There have been several documented instances of main dealer service work being missed from the electronic records and it is a devil of a job to fix afterwards. It also means that if you use an independent for anything (as is your right) there is no way of recording the work you had done other than keeping various scraps of paper. A cynical person may think that is all smacks of dealer protectionism.

Get the book.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 05:31 AM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by padders View Post
It also means that if you use an independent for anything (as is your right) there is no way of recording the work you had done other than keeping various scraps of paper. A cynical person may think that is all smacks of dealer protectionism.

Get the book.
When I buy second hand cars, the service book is worth nothing, and very easy to fake. I want to see the scraps of paper.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2015, 09:03 AM   #7
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by padders View Post
They are also available on eBay for around £10.
It also means that if you use an independent for anything (as is your right) there is no way of recording the work you had done other than keeping various scraps of paper.
So this is why the picture comes from eBay. I noticed that but did not look any further.

I would guess an official BMW service should be happy to print out that electronic history for you (Will they dare to charge a fortune? I'd expect it free. ) and approve it with a stamp. Independent ones aren't eligible to mark the book actually, are they?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 04:23 AM   #8
DomMuc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

if you have radio prof or satnav you have a digital servicemanual in the screen.. it comes up after the 1st servie ( only wehn you do it at your bmw dealer, needs to be written in the car with the diagnosis tools)
Appreciate 0