BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > M Sport brake

05-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
nordschleife
BMW fanatic
Rep
Drives: F20

M Sport brake

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I wonder if it is possible to order a set of M Sport brake (std on M Sport model) to fit on Sport model.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
biologic
Rep
Drives: F20 118i

I'm not sure of that but, you can order M-perf. which will be available this autumn
which is pretty much the same except different color calipers.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 04:31 AM   #3
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
they're also £1,600 + labour
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 05:27 AM   #4
nordschleife
BMW fanatic
Rep
Drives: F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by biologic View Post
I'm not sure of that but, you can order M-perf. which will be available this autumn
which is pretty much the same except different color calipers.
The M-perf. reqs. at least 18" rim in order to be able to fit. I am looking at the M Sport coz they fits 17"
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 05:28 AM   #5
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordschleife View Post
The M-perf. reqs. at least 18" rim in order to be able to fit. I am looking at the M Sport coz they fits 17"
m sport in the UK is 18" standard, so anyone over here can pay to have the performance brakes on... if your crazy enough
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 05:22 AM   #6
APchew
Rep
Drives: BMW 118i F20 Alpine White

Hi guys,

Can I check if anyone has fitted an aftermarket brake set, e.g. AP, brembo, etc and whether there is a need to re-program after installation?

The M performance brake kit requires at least 19' wheels to clear as the rotor size (370mm) is too large for an 18' rim.

I am now considering to go for aftermarket but heard there is a need to program the brakes thereafter.

Any advise please?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i M Sport (soon)

Went for m sport brake as an option in my 125i. My summer rims are 18" and winter rims 17" (about 4-5mm clearance ).
I believe you can get them only at initial mount and that you have to go for m performance (1" extra) as second mount.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #8
APchew
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavVD View Post
Went for m sport brake as an option in my 125i. My summer rims are 18" and winter rims 17" (about 4-5mm clearance ).
I believe you can get them only at initial mount and that you have to go for m performance (1" extra) as second mount.
Hmm, not sure. Any idea what is the rotor size of your m sport brake? Sorry... care to explain what do you mean by initial mount and second mount?

I am more keen to know if there is really a need to program the car if I were to go with aftermarket brakes.

Need a confirmation from someone out there who is bold and taken the leap of faith to do this.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by APchew
Quote:
Hmm, not sure. Any idea what is the rotor size of your m sport brake? Sorry... care to explain what do you mean by initial mount and second mount?

I am more keen to know if there is really a need to program the car if I were to go with aftermarket brakes.

Need a confirmation from someone out there who is bold and taken the leap of faith to do this.

Cheers
Basically my dealer told me:
- m sport brake: only factory fitment (what I meant with initial mount)
- m performance brake: fitment at dealer only
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
aus135i
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

the M perf is bigger then the M sport thats currently on the M135i ... RIGHT?? or am i wrong?
      02-25-2013, 08:17 PM   #11
Tigershark
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 116i M Sport

Are the standard brakes so poor that they need to be upgraded or have you remapped the car? I fitted two sets of updated brakes (ended up with rally spec discs and wilwood 4 pots) to a previous car but that is because I upped the power by 50bhp (cams, TB's, manifold, ECU etc etc) and the standard brakes were poor.

I'm just curious why people would spec or retrofit them on the modestly powered models.
      02-26-2013, 12:46 AM   #12
APchew
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus135i View Post
the M perf is bigger then the M sport thats currently on the M135i ... RIGHT?? or am i wrong?
Yes. You're right. M perf is 370 vs M sport brakes at 345mm.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 12:50 AM   #13
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post
Are the standard brakes so poor that they need to be upgraded or have you remapped the car? I fitted two sets of updated brakes (ended up with rally spec discs and wilwood 4 pots) to a previous car but that is because I upped the power by 50bhp (cams, TB's, manifold, ECU etc etc) and the standard brakes were poor.

I'm just curious why people would spec or retrofit them on the modestly powered models.
I think it is partly because of looks. I have good experience with the regular brakes so far. I have used the car on some track days, and I have not had any fading or low brake pedal yet, as I was used to with my previous cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 01:26 AM   #14
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark

Was afraid of standard brakes lacking power and endurance as it used to be with BMW with their strategy to fit only floating calipers. M sport brakes are provided with fix calipers. I do not regret my choice. These M sport brakes are fantastic. I had just some difficulty to find correct wheel size for my winter tires (was not ok to pay what BMW is asking for a winter tyre set).
My 125i is not modestly powered by the way
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #15
APchew
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark View Post

My car has been installed with a KS tuning module to improve its overall performance. Not that the standard brakes are poor but bigger brake will mean that it can stop the car faster and shorter when need to. Essentially the upgrade is more for safety reasons.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 07:40 AM   #16
APchew
Rep

Quote:
Was afraid of standard brakes lacking power and endurance as it used to be with BMW with their strategy to fit only floating calipers. M sport brakes are provided with fix calipers. I do not regret my choice. These M sport brakes are fantastic. I had just some difficulty to find correct wheel size for my winter tires (was not ok to pay what BMW is asking for a winter tyre set).
Agree. Same here too. I am running on 18' aftermarket rims (BBS) but cannot fit the M perf brakes. Need to upgrade to 19' rims. Thus trying to ask around and explore my options further.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #17
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by APchew
Quote:
Agree. Same here too. I am running on 18' aftermarket rims (BBS) but cannot fit the M perf brakes. Need to upgrade to 19' rims. Thus trying to ask around and explore my options further.
Problem was not really the diameter as I managed to go for 17" with m sport brake but more the offset. With ET45 I had interference with back of spoke. I had to clear by using ET40.
Have a look to rim brand AEZ (I have got the Sydney Dark but for you Antigua is perhaps better), these rims are specifically designed for BMW and with different offset possibilities. All possible rim/model combination are TUV certified. They are made in Germany.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #18
APchew
Rep

Quote:
Problem was not really the diameter as I managed to go for 17" with m sport brake but more the offset. With ET45 I had interference with back of spoke. I had to clear by using ET40.
Have a look to rim brand AEZ (I have got the Sydney Dark but for you Antigua is perhaps better), these rims are specifically designed for BMW and with different offset possibilities. All possible rim/model combination are TUV certified. They are made in Germany.
Ok. Thanks. Will get a look at these AEZ rims. I'm using 18' BBS Re-v (forged) currently and thinking of getting a set of 19' BBS CH-R. Offset for my 118i F20 is front 48 and rear 52.

I am also considering 19' prodrive GC-012L but that looks kind of plain to me.

Still thinking hard which to get.

If my options for aftermarket brakes limited, then will probably settle for bigger rims and get the M perf brakes.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #19
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordschleife View Post
I wonder if it is possible to order a set of M Sport brake (std on M Sport model) to fit on Sport model.
they are not standard...
      02-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #20
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by APchew View Post
My car has been installed with a KS tuning module to improve its overall performance. Not that the standard brakes are poor but bigger brake will mean that it can stop the car faster and shorter when need to. Essentially the upgrade is more for safety reasons.

Cheers
Don't expect shorter stopping distance with the bigger brakes. They will be able to drain more heat, so you can do more stops after each other before they start fading.

I was also considering the big brakes, as I was worried if the regular ones could take the heat. Fortunately they could in our 116i, so I could stay with the stock ones. They have the advantage of less unsprung weight (and inertia), and they allow me to use higher profile winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #21
Caput Mortuum
Private
Finland
Rep
Drives: VW Scirocco 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM View Post
they are not standard...
Yeah, only standard on M135i.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #22
logiclee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 116i

The M135i can be fitted with 17" wheels, they are a BMW winter option size.

Cheers
Lee
Appreciate 0