forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X7 (G07) Forums General BMW X7 Forum Drivetrain malfunction w/ 675 miles

11-15-2022, 05:47 PM   #1
the_wolperting
Rep
Drives: '22 Ram TRX, '22 G80 M3

Drivetrain malfunction w/ 675 miles

Just took delivery of my 2023 X7 three weeks ago. Four days ago, I get a warning light for the daytime running light malfunction (isn't that what the stupid stop sale was about--shouldn't this have been fixed before they sold me the damn car???). I was literally on the call with service and suddenly the red wrench emoji (lol) appeared. Drivetrain malfunction! What in the actual f*ck??

24 hours later, turns out I need two new ignition coils AND some new module for the running light situation. So pissed off about this. BMW quality seems to really be in the shitter these days.

Anyone else have something similar happen with the LCI?
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2022, 06:52 PM   #2
X7nheaven
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Garage List
2023 BMW x7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wolperting View Post
Just took delivery of my 2023 X7 three weeks ago. Four days ago, I get a warning light for the daytime running light malfunction (isn't that what the stupid stop sale was about--shouldn't this have been fixed before they sold me the damn car???). I was literally on the call with service and suddenly the red wrench emoji (lol) appeared. Drivetrain malfunction! What in the actual f*ck??

24 hours later, turns out I need two new ignition coils AND some new module for the running light situation. So pissed off about this. BMW quality seems to really be in the shitter these days.

Similar situation here. 3 days in I received a chassis error, high beam malfunction, headlamp alignment and following distance program malfunction. The car has been in the shop for over a week. They have been going back and forth with BMW engineers. First they thought it was a bad mPad module then that wasn't it. They reprogrammed the car multiple times with no progress. I finally got a call today saying that they are releasing a new software update tomorrow that should fix the issues. We shall see. The Tech said this has been a common issue according to BMW. The dealership has had my car more than I have since I've owned it. I'll update when I find out more.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 07:06 PM   #3
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

This is a LCI issue and NOT indicative of the X7. I believe the industry will recognize pre-Covid build standards and post Covid standards. It is showing to be two different standards.
Appreciate 2
BMW5and71071.00
djbonsu113.00
      11-15-2022, 07:41 PM   #4
Json2686
Rep
Drives: 2021 X1, 2023 X7

Mine had 300 miles on it before engine light came on. They reprogrammed the car multiple times before telling me it’s a piece of the hybrid batter that speaks to the transmission. Truck now needs a new transmission and has been at service for nearly a month.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 09:39 PM   #5
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
This is a LCI issue and NOT indicative of the X7. I believe the industry will recognize pre-Covid build standards and post Covid standards. It is showing to be two different standards.
100%.
Exactly the same reason my 2022 is going to be dumped soon and the 2019 is staying for years now. The build quality, the road noise, the interior stability/rattle, are all issues that am seeing in the 2022 as well as in every other 2022 loaner am getting. I have two other 2019 vehicles and they are solid rock. I am super dissapointed and sad that BMW build quality is going that route… I am not getting any newer BMW until I see all these issues going back to pre-covid standards. Something is wong, and in some cases it is not only the build standards or quality, it is even choosing cheap materials. I swear I feel the 2022 (and according to others the 2023 LCI too) has a different sound insulation material than the 2019-2020 and early 2021 X7s!. I have a 2019 and 2022 and I can easily tell there is a huge difference in road noise. Something is wrong, but the 2019 is staying for years and years until BMW starts to make real BMW vehicles again!.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 10:09 PM   #6
Davidhardy
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw x7, m5, f150 raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by X7nheaven View Post
Quote:

Similar situation here. 3 days in I received a chassis error, high beam malfunction, headlamp alignment and following distance program malfunction. The car has been in the shop for over a week. They have been going back and forth with BMW engineers. First they thought it was a bad mPad module then that wasn't it. They reprogrammed the car multiple times with no progress. I finally got a call today saying that they are releasing a new software update tomorrow that should fix the issues. We shall see. The Tech said this has been a common issue according to BMW. The dealership has had my car more than I have since I've owned it. I'll update when I find out more.
Sounds like mine but the part never showed and bmw is buying my x7 back.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 10:26 PM   #7
Saejin
Captain
Rep
Drives: None

OP...40i or M60i?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 09:21 AM   #8
Json2686
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhardy View Post
Who did you have to contact for this and how did it work out?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 09:52 AM   #9
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Only because of that message?
If so, it may be related to a serious issue. Can you share more detail on what you know or were told for the benefit of the community here?
Many others have been asked to ignore it and keep driving…
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 10:06 AM   #10
Davidhardy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW5and7 View Post
Quote:
Only because of that message?
If so, it may be related to a serious issue. Can you share more detail on what you know or were told for the benefit of the community here?
Many others have been asked to ignore it and keep driving…
I had the vehicle for about 800 miles and a bunch of errors starting kicking out re lights, got the chassis one and maybe another. My dealer wouldn't release the car while waiting for part in mid sept after going back in forth w bmw engineering. I think they decided it was a cpu module?? But the lemon statute triggered before it was fixed. Not even sure if it's fixed now. Bmw dealer connected me w bmw customer relations to start buyback. I've read about 7-8 similar stories on here some sound more serious than others but perhaps still the same chip issue?

I have another x7 coming w a product date of 11/28. Hope issue is resolved.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 11:24 AM   #11
the_wolperting
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Json2686 View Post
Mine had 300 miles on it before engine light came on. They reprogrammed the car multiple times before telling me it’s a piece of the hybrid batter that speaks to the transmission. Truck now needs a new transmission and has been at service for nearly a month.
Which light came on? The transmission malfunction or drivetrain malfunction?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 12:06 PM   #12
Json2686
Rep

Quote:
Which light came on? The transmission malfunction or drivetrain malfunction?
Drivetrain malfunction followed by power failure and multiple other failures.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 12:38 PM   #13
Davidhardy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Who did you have to contact for this and how did it work out?
The service dept at my dealer initiated the buy back on my behalf.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 12:49 PM   #14
Json2686
Rep

Quote:
Then what was the next step? Did you contact your sales person to order a new one or was this all done through the service dept? Just trying to gather as much info as possible before I head down this path and they try to veery me in another direction. I appreciate the continued information you have provided thus far.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 12:55 PM   #15
Davidhardy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Then what was the next step? Did you contact your sales person to order a new one or was this all done through the service dept? Just trying to gather as much info as possible before I head down this path and they try to veery me in another direction. I appreciate the continued information you have provided thus far.
Assuming the x7 has satisfied the lemon statute in your state, I believe bmw will try to buy back or replace your x7. Bmw wouldn't replace mine but my dealer had an allocation… I haven't signed the buy back yet—I'm waiting on some loan info to finalize the buy back details.

Btw. Typically 30 working days out of service satisfies the lemon statute but you may need to provide some notice to the service guys that the car has reached lemon status to get them moving.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 12:56 PM   #16
DancyQ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord - Manual

Make sure you keep detailed records for all communication, situation, error code and etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 04:50 PM   #17
the_wolperting
Rep

Quote:
Assuming the x7 has satisfied the lemon statute in your state, I believe bmw will try to buy back or replace your x7. Bmw wouldn't replace mine but my dealer had an allocation… I haven't signed the buy back yet—I'm waiting on some loan info to finalize the buy back details.

Btw. Typically 30 working days out of service satisfies the lemon statute but you may need to provide some notice to the service guys that the car has reached lemon status to get them moving.
Omg. Are you saying your car was out of service for over 30 days?? That's insane. Anyway they just told me that the parts for my car are getting sent from Germany so looks like I'm also in for a wait.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2022, 05:34 PM   #18
Davidhardy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Omg. Are you saying your car was out of service for over 30 days?? That's insane. Anyway they just told me that the parts for my car are getting sent from Germany so looks like I'm also in for a wait.
30 working days. It's been 2 months now.

The part I was waiting for also was coming from Germany. 🤷
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 08:00 PM   #19
mitch57
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Quote:

I would be asking your dealer to initiate a BMW buy back on your behalf. I just can't fathom buying a brand new car and not being able to drive it for two freaking months.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 08:57 PM   #20
Davidhardy
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
Quote:

I would be asking your dealer to initiate a BMW buy back on your behalf. I just can't fathom buying a brand new car and not being able to drive it for two freaking months.
Usually lemon laws have fee shifting provisions ie plaintiff has fees paid by defendant. So it won't to talk to a consumer lawyer if bmw doesn't move for ya.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 07:41 PM   #21
rhalefromtn
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x7 i40

2024 x7 i40 Drivetrain malfunction

This POS was purchased brand new and has had the awesome drivetrain malfunction error twice now. First time it went away on its own and dealer said it must have been low on gas and it triggered it. Today it came on again and will not go off no matter how long it sits. This is already the worst car I have ever had and I paid over $100K for it. Anyone have any idea how to reset this at least long enough to get it to the dealer so they can eff it up again? It runs so rough I am afraid to drive it.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2024, 07:55 PM   #22
mattsrs
Major
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhalefromtn View Post
This POS was purchased brand new and has had the awesome drivetrain malfunction error twice now. First time it went away on its own and dealer said it must have been low on gas and it triggered it. Today it came on again and will not go off no matter how long it sits. This is already the worst car I have ever had and I paid over $100K for it. Anyone have any idea how to reset this at least long enough to get it to the dealer so they can eff it up again? It runs so rough I am afraid to drive it.
What dealer told you is BS. They should have run the diag and could have found out the specific error that trigerred it. I highly doubt low gas would trigger drivetrain malfunction. All errors are stored and the dealers can read them when you get it there. I don't know how you can reset but maybe its best to tow it to the dealer? Can you elaborate on what you mean by runs rough?
Appreciate 0