BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Aircraft noise compliants

10-11-2022, 02:44 AM   #23
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M4CPC // HP4 Comp.

I grew up with the sweet noise of classy aircrafts like the Caravelle, BAC1-11, 727 and other unfiltered, pure and very loud jet engines. The airport of Hamburg was only 7mls away from our flat and with the beginning of the modern jet engines the noise became more quite.
Within years the surrounding houses encircling the airport were coming closer and closer, at the end alongside of the Rwy 05/23 were nearly fully filled with houses. Needless to say, that sooner or later some noise-preventing initiatives were coming up and the first achievement they got were the sharp duty times from 6AM to 11PM and not a minute later/sooner. Also, since Lufthansa has had a very big layover yard onto the airfield beginning from the early 60s, they had to build better noise cancelling hangars for engine run ups and other very expensive stuff to do to please the people around the airport, which were definitely came very later - and hell yeah, they had to be warned that theres' an airport into the neighborhood.
During my own flying time the air base was far enough away from all houses and we have had a very good friendship to almost all people around us. As a fair compromise we had dealed out more restrictive noise abatements to defined times when hitting the afterburners, but thats it.
Now in Munich I live only 2 mls away from one of the runways and I can't complain about the noise, because I know this fact before I had moved down here.
My whole life had turned around aircrafts and I can accept, that there are people out there, who are not in love with the sidefacts of aviation.
But as already read, then stay the hell out of the vicinities of the airports.

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 2
Llarry16478.50
Lady Jane71658.50
      10-11-2022, 03:02 AM   #24
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

One of my properties is on the land flight path to Heathrow with aircraft now starting to land starting at 6AM and even the heaviest sleepers have a rude awakening.
It's all very well saying to people not to buy houses near airports and on landing path routes but many people have their homes where aircraft noise wasn't a problem before and the sheer amount of increased air traffic and lower descents of the aircraft are a real problem.
Building the main UK airport on the Thames Estuary would be much better for a lot of residents suffering this unwanted noise pollution.
Appreciate 3
chris7197363.50
KRS_SN13680.50
      10-11-2022, 03:37 AM   #25
Llarry
///M driver
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6-speed

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
I got a wakeup "call" around 4a during Desert Storm. Apparently we lived under the departure corridor of Norton AFB and a C5 departed every morning @ 0400 or so. The Galaxy was the only aircraft we heard departing.
The C-5 has a very distinctive sound to it. I may be one of the few on this board to have heard a Convair B-36 with its six radials (and four jets if still taking off). Two completely different aircraft and yet in both cases, you could tell you were listening to something BIG! The other couple of aircraft I would put it in that category are the Tupolev Tu-95 or -142 (four gargantuan turboprops) and the Douglas C-124, which had four R-4360s. With any of those you could tell this was no lightweight flying by.
      10-11-2022, 06:50 AM   #26
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
One of my properties is on the land flight path to Heathrow with aircraft now starting to land starting at 6AM and even the heaviest sleepers have a rude awakening.
It's all very well saying to people not to buy houses near airports and on landing path routes but many people have their homes where aircraft noise wasn't a problem before and the sheer amount of increased air traffic and lower descents of the aircraft are a real problem.
Building the main UK airport on the Thames Estuary would be much better for a lot of residents suffering this unwanted noise pollution.
In Frankfurt, near the airport there is this hotel I had preferred for a long time.
Meanwhile the new runway is in use and guess what? The lightning center row including the strobes is ending very, very close at the fence of the hotels property.
That said, you will get up very early, when they are switching on the lights in to morning and you have no light-tight shades to avoid that enormous bright flashing lights

Some say, that my scrotum has its own small gravity field and when Im slowing down that brake lights come on at my buttox
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 12:11 PM   #27
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

What about when they completely change the flight path since they put in a new runway? I didn't have take-off planes flying over my house when I bought it 20+ years ago. All departures are SUPPOSED to avoid the neighborhood until they get a little further west, THEN turn north to their destinations. But every day I can record all sorts of planes accelerating over my back yard. We were never notifed, or agreed to any change in the flight path/runway.
Somebody's jet takes off at 5:30am, on the dot, every weekday morning. Luckily my alarm is going off at the same time.
      10-11-2022, 01:34 PM   #28
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
What about when they completely change the flight path since they put in a new runway? I didn't have take-off planes flying over my house when I bought it 20+ years ago. All departures are SUPPOSED to avoid the neighborhood until they get a little further west, THEN turn north to their destinations. But every day I can record all sorts of planes accelerating over my back yard. We were never notifed, or agreed to any change in the flight path/runway.
Somebody's jet takes off at 5:30am, on the dot, every weekday morning. Luckily my alarm is going off at the same time.
Many factors go into changing flight paths. Sometimes it's as simple as a tall radio antenna.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 04:07 PM   #29
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Many factors go into changing flight paths. Sometimes it's as simple as a tall radio antenna.
It seems crazy, from what little I know about planes and take-offs. IF the wind blows nearly straight south->north thru the flat plain where the airport is, why would you change and take off east->west ??

Oh, I know, because the rich city that the airport is actually located in doesn't want complaints from their citizens, so lets fly over the DUC, they won't/can't complain.

Disadvantaged, Under-represented Community, it's an official designation in Cali
      10-11-2022, 07:40 PM   #30
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It seems crazy, from what little I know about planes and take-offs. IF the wind blows nearly straight south->north thru the flat plain where the airport is, why would you change and take off east->west ??

Oh, I know, because the rich city that the airport is actually located in doesn't want complaints from their citizens, so lets fly over the DUC, they won't/can't complain.

Disadvantaged, Under-represented Community, it's an official designation in Cali
Depends on the runways. At SLC we had (they have since added a new runway) 34R/16L, 34L/16R & 14/32. LAX has 24R&L, 25R&L, 6R&L and 7R&L. Aircraft can take up to a certain crosswind component which, along with noise restrictions, dictates the runway in use. Runways are also built on the majority prevailing wind. At LAX we spent probably 99+% of the time west traffic (24's/25's). I went over 2 years without working east traffic. Due to procedures and volume, we had a saying; east is easy, but west is best. We were supposed to stay 5 miles off Palos Verdes for noise, but I generally had a good reason for violating noise restrictions to keep the traffic moving. I actually looked for ways to violate noise
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615481.00
      10-11-2022, 07:49 PM   #31
rwheels
Major
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Depends on the runways. At SLC we had (they have since added a new runway) 34R/16L, 34L/16R & 14/32. LAX has 24R&L, 25R&L, 6R&L and 7R&L. Aircraft can take up to a certain crosswind component which, along with noise restrictions, dictates the runway in use. Runways are also built on the majority prevailing wind. At LAX we spent probably 99+% of the time west traffic (24's/25's). I went over 2 years without working east traffic. Due to procedures and volume, we had a saying; east is easy, but west is best. We were supposed to stay 5 miles off Palos Verdes for noise, but I generally had a good reason for violating noise restrictions to keep the traffic moving. I actually looked for ways to violate noise
How do pilots deal with John Wayne airport? I’m sure Newport pays a lot for quiet.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2022, 11:03 PM   #32
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
How do pilots deal with John Wayne airport? I’m sure Newport pays a lot for quiet.
I only worked some of the SNA after they did the noise crap. Here are the departure plates for The County...

https://flightaware.com/resources/ai...SNA/DP/all/pdf

Looks like there's a "pie" southwest of the airport that is verboten. I believe there's also a reduce power requirement.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 01:43 AM   #33
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

If the airport was built before your house it's hard to have sympathy, unless the airport was expanded
Appreciate 2
Llarry16478.50
      10-12-2022, 02:53 AM   #34
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Aside from building additional runways, theres a fact calling magnetic variation.
The moving of the magnetic grid on earth had led to rename all runway letter names and also to change the approach/departure routes. I can't tell you the exact gradiation of the last 20 years but for sure those are few degrees.
Practical example: The Tornado aircraft has had during flights a tight table of tolerated navigation deviation. For that reason we had the abilitiy to cross before fixed navigation points to approve the displayed position to the real one. Those data were compared into the aircrafts system and the correction (if applicable) were shown and set. So the deviation planned/real was very small. For ensuring the fixed points it was necessary to recheck and reapprove them into a time window, which exact from-to I don't remember.

Appreciate 1
      10-12-2022, 04:17 AM   #35
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Quote:

The reasoning is alternating take off and landings in conjunction with winds to minimize the effects of noise pollution.

I live 2 miles from a small Guard base with a 7.5K runway. We had A-10's then 6 years ago they transitioned to F-15c/d which are loud if your on the field but now we are slated to get F-35C ugh even more noise. We have a Gulfstream facility and a ANG uh-60 unit too but you barely hear them.

Overall my road is louder than the aircraft traftic. Was surprised when they moved the F15's here vs next door to Westover it has more than enough space and had hangers which they had to build for the F15. Basically a fund raiser for a contractor.

After 9/11 we were flying out of Frankfurt Main daily for stage missions into a variety of locations and we had the wall of shame for the crews that violated the noise restrictions for Sachsenhausen which was our turning point and we needed to be at a certain altitude to be cpompliant which was tough at 750K-840k the old TF-39's were straining to say the least.

Last edited by M-technik-3; 10-12-2022 at 04:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 08:50 AM   #36
OkieSnuffBox
Major
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdizzle View Post
i'd guess the people complaining are the ones who go to the major airport for a cheap spirit airlines flight, rather than using the convenience of a regional airport.

i love my regional airport. park right up front. no shuttles. security line takes 5 minutes. it only flies to o'hare and dfw but the layovers aren't too bad. rather do that than have to drive 2 hours to a major airport with long lines.
At least the regional by our house, there are only 3 companies and all are charter flight only.

Most people, myself included, can't afford a private jet regardless of the convenience.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 10:58 AM   #37
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
If the airport was built before your house it's hard to have sympathy, unless the airport was expanded
My house was built 1950, I'm pretty sure before the airport. Then they added a new runway specific for take-off. No notification of planned/change to the DUC.
      10-12-2022, 01:45 PM   #38
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

I've lived 4 miles from an airport for a vast majority of my life... we are kind of on the landing path... can't say it's ever been particularly bothersome albeit we don't get any planes larger than delta 757s.

The only time its obvious is when you have the once in a blue moon military landing... you can absolutely hear an F18 lol... if you step outside it can damage your ears.
      10-12-2022, 03:57 PM   #39
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang3r View Post
In Frankfurt, near the airport there is this hotel I had preferred for a long time.
Meanwhile the new runway is in use and guess what? The lightning center row including the strobes is ending very, very close at the fence of the hotels property.
That said, you will get up very early, when they are switching on the lights in to morning and you have no light-tight shades to avoid that enormous bright flashing lights
Blackout window curtains will probably be on the hotels' upgrade buy list to keep the guests happy.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2022, 05:07 PM   #40
M-technik-3
Major
Rep
Drives: E30 M3, E36 M3, 328iT, 335i

Garage List
1995 M3  [9.00]
2007 E91  [7.25]
1988 M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Blackout window curtains will probably be on the hotels' upgrade buy list to keep the guests happy.
Very surprised rolladen is not on the hotel already. The old Sheraton that we stayed at in Sachenhausen has had them dating back to the mid 80's.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2022, 07:57 AM   #41
ppointer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3M, '12 335is, '22 540i

Garage List
2012 BMW 335i  [5.25]
2012 BMW 335is  [5.00]
2008 Infiniti QX56  [0.00]
1967 Chevrolet Corv ...  [10.00]
2001 M Roadster  [10.00]
2022 BMW 540i  [0.75]
2009 528i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llarry View Post
When I was a senior in high school, we lived on the Navy base at Sangley Point in the Philippines. It was the spring of 1965 and the war in Vietnam some 600 miles or so away was heating up. We lived perhaps 200 feet from the taxiway and probably 450 feet from the runway. Every morning at 5 o'clock a massive EC-121 Constellation radar/weather recon airplane would slowly taxi by, the four huge radial engines barely ticking over and the wheel brakes squealing on its way down to the end of the runway. I had to be in school at 6 AM, so that Super Connie was my alarm clock. As it taxied by I stirred to semi-consciousness, then it reached the runway and turned around and ran up the engines about 1500 feet away. I was not yet fully awake. Then it turned on it's landing lights -- two of 'em on the nose gear door at about a zillion candlepower each. The whole bedroom instantly went from early dawn to brilliant noon-plus. That was my alarm clock and as I got out of bed, the plane thundered down the runway, headed out for a 12-hour or more mission in the Gulf of Tonkin.

The tradeoff for the 6 AM start time for school was that school was over at noon. "Tropical hours"
Timely post. Dad just passed away in July. He flew those out of Korat in Thailand in the '67-'68 time frame, doing recognizance and radar jamming over Vietnam. He was in the USAF for 20 years and then retired in '84.
Appreciate 1
paquet629.50
      10-13-2022, 01:22 PM   #42
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppointer View Post
Timely post. Dad just passed away in July. He flew those out of Korat in Thailand in the '67-'68 time frame, doing recognizance and radar jamming over Vietnam. He was in the USAF for 20 years and then retired in '84.
Sorry for your loss. My dad passes in 1999 and I still miss him. The best thing I ever did (outside of accepting Jesus' gift and my wife) was having him be my Best Man at my wedding.

Color me crazy, but once I heard about them, I would have loved to be a Wild Weasel pilot, alas, I was too young.
Appreciate 2
paquet629.50
ppointer748.50
      10-14-2022, 09:24 AM   #43
GuyLedouche
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82/718 GT4

Quote:
My house was built 1950, I'm pretty sure before the airport. Then they added a new runway specific for take-off. No notification of planned/change to the DUC.
What airport are you referring to? Oxnard?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 09:54 AM   #44
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyLedouche View Post
Quote:
What airport are you referring to? Oxnard?
Camarillo