BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > New BMW M135i (F21)

11-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #23
dogpatch
Registered
Rep
Drives: 535d

Hi Greg,

That doesn't look right, I agree.

I think that, when shipping, the suspension is fixed using some sort of blocks. I wonder if the PDI hasn't included removing them? If this were the case then I suspect the car would ride terribly, i.e. no play/give in the suspension.

Here's how mine looks:

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #24
Gregashley
Rep
Drives: M135i

Thanks for the feedback, Its been two weeks and the car seems to drive fine apart from quite hard knocks from the front suspension when hitting dips at speed that i attribute to the firm springs. The car has addaptive dampers and the optional M-running gear and has been firm from the start, i have had a look and cant see any shipping blocks etc.
havent spoken to the dealer yet but i am going to.
The car does have run flats and is manual which i thought may play a role in the springs BMW use but every other car ive seen in the flesh or in images on the net, Runflats or not, seems noticeably lower.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #25
Gregashley
Rep

OMG
I have just checked properly and see the right side still has a white and blue plastic shipping block. need to jack the car up to remove.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #26
Gregashley
Rep

Thanks Dogpatch
Its dropped to what it should be, cant believe i could be so stupid not to check properly earlier
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #27
dogpatch
Registered
Rep
Drives: 535d

Wow! Glad it's sorted, but that's a pretty poor PDI you had there
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 01:21 AM   #28
BM635
Private
Rep
Drives: E24 635CSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregashley
This is a pic after the car had been through "pdi"
Congrats on the new car. May I ask why it's on P Zeros? As opposed to the standard spec Michelin Super Sport Non-Runflats?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 03:18 AM   #29
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM635 View Post
Congrats on the new car. May I ask why it's on P Zeros? As opposed to the standard spec Michelin Super Sport Non-Runflats?
I would be scared to take that out on anything other than a dry day with P Zero's on it ... i found them to be terrible in the wet: Michelin SS FTW
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 05:13 AM   #30
BMW-RaceR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mini Cooper S, 74 Beetle

Tire test:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...res-tested.pdf

Michelin FTW! Extremly good in the wet.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #31
Gregashley
Rep

Thanks
Well, i probably would have gone with the pilots, however the dealer was not too communicative on the benefits of having them even though BMW actually specify them for the M135. The P zeros are runflats and only now with the car driving properly seem to be very good. It takes quite a lot to get the back to loose grip!
I ordered in June before reading the info on the Michelins and we decided Runflats had improved in performance with better technology, so runflats it was but the runflat rims are fine for non runflat tyres too.

The car is riding so well now after what happened its like "chalk and Cheese"
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #32
BM635
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregashley
Thanks
Well, i probably would have gone with the pilots, however the dealer was not too communicative on the benefits of having them even though BMW actually specify them for the M135. The P zeros are runflats and only now with the car driving properly seem to be very good. It takes quite a lot to get the back to loose grip!
I ordered in June before reading the info on the Michelins and we decided Runflats had improved in performance with better technology, so runflats it was but the runflat rims are fine for non runflat tyres too.

The car is riding so well now after what happened its like "chalk and Cheese"
Thanks for clarifying the fact that those are run-flats. I have PZeros (non RF) on my RS6 and C63, works great on both cars, so wouldn't mind getting them for the M135i as well, if the new generation RF are similar in ride comfort and handling to the non RF.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 12:33 AM   #33
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

To the OP, nice Q car. Congrats.

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying the fact that those are run-flats. I have PZeros (non RF) on my RS6 and C63, works great on both cars, so wouldn't mind getting them for the M135i as well, if the new generation RF are similar in ride comfort and handling to the non RF.

Actually they're not even close imo.

I ordered my F30 335i without RFTs (I had 4 BMWs with RFTs before and I sometimes switched them because of the noise/harsh ride) but my salesperson told me this is the last generation Bridgestone S001 RFT(19 inch) no worries blabla.

IF I'm not going to order a F20/21(kids) M135i 8AT , I'm going to switch to Pilot Supersports this spring. The S001s are rather sporty and precise, but still harsh and NOISY as hell! Within a few weeks I put Conti (RFT...) wintertyres on , I guess they will be a tad less noisy.

That's why I want to ask M135i drivers: How is the ride/noise?
I'm planning to drive one nov. 28th...

The non RF Michelin SuperSport is the best tyre atm. It suits the 135 very well. I just order the small pump with the non rf package and that's it.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 01:14 AM   #34
BM635
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL
To the OP, nice Q car. Congrats.

Quote:

Actually they're not even close imo.

I ordered my F30 335i without RFTs (I had 4 BMWs with RFTs before and I sometimes switched them because of the noise/harsh ride) but my salesperson told me this is the last generation Bridgestone S001 RFT(19 inch) no worries blabla.

IF I'm not going to order a F20/21(kids) M135i 8AT , I'm going to switch to Pilot Supersports this spring. The S001s are rather sporty and precise, but still harsh and NOISY as hell! Within a few weeks I put Conti (RFT...) wintertyres on , I guess they will be a tad less noisy.

That's why I want to ask M135i drivers: How is the ride/noise?
I'm planning to drive one nov. 28th...

The non RF Michelin SuperSport is the best tyre atm. It suits the 135 very well. I just order the small pump with the non rf package and that's it.

Cheers
Robin
Hi Robin, Thanks for your feedback. My only experience with RF were from a 2011 550i GT, pretty bad car to start with, and made worse by the standard 19" RF tires. Had it for 1 year, first time ever that I would rather NOT take the scenic route and just go straight (literally) home. From the comments before, I thought the RF on a M135i achieved the same qualities as my other cars with same tires but non-RF. I can't make direct comparisons until I'm finished with my current set of michelins & put a set of PZeros RF on, until then, would be happy to get feedbacks from people with both brands, on a M135i.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 01:22 AM   #35
phil3103
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 / E46M3

Can I get this straight. If you order the M135i with RF you get P-zero, but if you go non RF you get the Michellins that everyone if raving about?

Am I correct as I assumed that the tyre would be the same brand and tyre just the RF version of that tyre??
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #36
Gregashley
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil3103 View Post
Can I get this straight. If you order the M135i with RF you get P-zero, but if you go non RF you get the Michellins that everyone if raving about?

Am I correct as I assumed that the tyre would be the same brand and tyre just the RF version of that tyre??
I dont think the super sports are available in RF.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #37
Gregashley
Rep

Quote:
I have not driven the car for long enough to give proper feedback but they dont transmit harsh bumps as badly as the older runflats that i have experienced. They have an extra large lip sticking over the rim and very rounded edges rather than square.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #38
Gregashley
Rep

This is the Tyre
http://www.carid.com/pirelli-tires/p...at-467087.html
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #39
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 2.0i

Garage List
Greg, which dealer did you buy from? It looks like that picture was taken on the roof of Auric Auto in Claremont?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #40
Davidson
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i

Sorry S2rv, had to tag on to your post as I cannot start a new post yet, still fresh in the forum, but I like to share my F20 M135i I pick up last night in Hong Kong. It is Fast Fast Fast!!! Only drove it back home and was stuck in Traffic, so hopefully i can enjoy more over the weekend.

Some initial thoughts:
- Engine sound is mighty.
- Just boosts after 2,000Rpm
- I am a bit annoy from the A Pillar which is a blind spot when turning right (RHD), as the windscreen is narrow.
- Auto start up of the A/C is annoying
- Start stop is not good for HK traffic, as its "stop and go" every 2 mins. :-)
- How to get the oil temp dial display on the iDrive, can't seem to find it.
- I think it will be a very fun car to drive.

Thanks
D
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 12:16 AM   #41
BM635
Private
Rep

Congrats, I also found the "start/stop" function not practical in HK, so got the form to have the function reprogrammed at the dealer later.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 03:50 AM   #42
Gregashley
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinHattingh View Post
Greg, which dealer did you buy from? It looks like that picture was taken on the roof of Auric Auto in Claremont?
Good call martin , it was the roof of auric in claremont!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #43
MartinHattingh
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 2.0i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregashley View Post
Good call martin , it was the roof of auric in claremont!
Aha! So it was your M135i I was admiring on the floor! Very nice.

A word of advice, forget about Auric and take your car to SMG in Century City if you have issues. They know what they're doing and their service is excellent. Most M-car drivers in Cape Town use them. Auric is clueless, I mean how on earth could they neglect to remove the suspension transport bumpers, especially on a car like yours?! I tried them for a short while but got fed up with their attitude and moved to SMG, even though I live literally 1km away in Claremont.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 03:26 AM   #44
madvlam
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidson
Sorry S2rv, had to tag on to your post as I cannot start a new post yet, still fresh in the forum, but I like to share my F20 M135i I pick up last night in Hong Kong. It is Fast Fast Fast!!! Only drove it back home and was stuck in Traffic, so hopefully i can enjoy more over the weekend.

Some initial thoughts:
- Engine sound is mighty.
- Just boosts after 2,000Rpm
- I am a bit annoy from the A Pillar which is a blind spot when turning right (RHD), as the windscreen is narrow.
- Auto start up of the A/C is annoying
- Start stop is not good for HK traffic, as its "stop and go" every 2 mins. :-)
- How to get the oil temp dial display on the iDrive, can't seem to find it.
- I think it will be a very fun car to drive.

Thanks
D
Congrats, may I asked when did u order it? I placed deposit in Oct, hopefully can get it in Mar...
Appreciate 0