BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > 118i M sport ordered - one question remains

08-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
veryjedi
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 118i - ordered

118i M sport ordered - one question remains

Hi everyone,

I am new to the f20 forum and this is my first thread. This forum and all the comments influenced the decision to order BMW pretty much. Thank you all!

So...

Last week I ordered (very excited!) 118i M Sport (actually there is no M sport version in Russia, it is called 118i with M package, but anyway):
- Estoril Blue
- Hexagon trim and hexagon cloth
- 17" M light alloy wheels 383M (My thoughts were that 17" will be much nicer for Moscow roads than 18"...)

The list of options:
- Xenon with headlights washers
- Auto dimming rear view mirror
- BMW professional radio + HK
- Multifunction controls for steering wheel
- Floor mates
- PDC rear
- Automatic Air Conditioning
- Bluetooth hands-free with USB audio interface
- Cruise control with brake function
- Front seats heating
- Fog lights
- Rain sensor
- Servotronic

I was quite sure about the options when I did the order, but now I doubt about the steering.

Manager at the dealership said that I still have some time to change servotronic for the variable active steering in my order if I willing to do so. The active steering price is ok with me, but I am not sure if I will like it or not. I read a lot in the forum about both options, so I understand the difference very clear.

The doubt I have is that I will be driving around the city most of the time (80% with 40-80 km/h), so with the active steering I guess I will have mostly loose steering and I am afraid that it won't give me much of BMW-feel driving. Probably parking will be much easier, but I guess most of us here order BMWs because of the driving pleasure not because of the parking pleasure.

Of course, it is better to try both servotronic and AS, but, unfortunately, I have no such option because of my schedule and availability of the cars at the nearby dealerships.

Will be happy to read your comments.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
rickk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F56E Mini Cooper SE

First of all: don't confuse AS with VSS. AS is active and speed dependent, VSS is passive and progressive: it changes the ratio of the rack to be quicker when you turn the wheel more.

My dealer also didn't have any VSS cars to test, so I decided to stick with what I know is good, which is the standard rack with servotronic. As tempting as VSS sounds, I don't want to gamble with such an important part of the car.

But for what it's worth: I havent read any complaints that VSS would be too "loose". Only complaints i've read is that it was weird, unpredictable or too nervous.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Since the steering rack is very progressive and fast towards the ends, I guess it is probably slower around the center than the standard rack. I don't think I would like that.

The E36 M3 3.0 was also that way, unlike all other E36 models.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
veryjedi
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: 118i - ordered

rickk, thanks for clarifying about AS and VSS, you are right - I confused AS with VSS...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 01:52 AM   #5
will-w
'Captain Slow'
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d M Sport

Garage List
2012 F20 M Sport  [10.00]
I have VSS on my M Sport and love it, makes the car feel somehow safer when cornering at speeds and just increases the experience.

Is a must over Servotronic steering, which I felt took the most part of the feeling away
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 03:27 AM   #6
Patrick BMW
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Garage List
2016 BMW 430iAM-Sport  [0.00]
2012 125i  [9.00]
stay with VSS if you're doing a lot of town driving. IMHO AS only comes into its own when you drive fast country lanes etc ..... unless you drive fast in town !
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I have the standard steering on my M-Sport, with no variable rack nor servotronic. Seems to work very well for autoX, track driving, town driving, highways and country roads. The best thing about it is that the steering feel is the same in all driving modes and all speeds.

When driving around the tightest hairpin bends on a local gokart track, I don't have to change grip on the steering wheel.

Given the choice between standard steering, VSS and Servotronic, I would select standard steering every time, even if it was slightly more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
rickk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, F56E Mini Cooper SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
Given the choice between standard steering, VSS and Servotronic, I would select standard steering every time, even if it was slightly more expensive.
I see your point, I'm especially not sold on the speed-adaptiveness, but on test drives it seems subtle enough and I had the (highly subjective) impression Servotronic in Sport mode was less assisted than the standard steering, which I find a bit over-assisted.

In the end Servotronic cost me about 100 Euros more over standard steering, and seeing that it's just software I figured I could always have it coded out if I really don't like it.

Removing the VSS will be a whole lot more involved

- Rick

P.S.: I remember you (and the 318iS!) from bmwe30.net many years ago. Always enjoyed your posts, good to see you back here, still posting about tire pressures and advocating small wheels and small engines
Appreciate 0