BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > DTS Tuned F20 118i

10-11-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
dape90
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F20 118i M-Sport

DTS Tuned F20 118i

Hi All,

Just a short post on the DTS tuning box.

This topic (of tuning boxes) has been covered so many times hence the short post.

I fitted a DTS unit a month ago and I am very satisfied indeed. Please don't think for a second that this is like 'night and day' performance changes. I mean I used to have a 325D 2010 model and when I had this remapped it went from 201BHP to 287BHP and that was very noticeable indeed.

So in brief I can tell you that this solution works very well. The turbo seems to spin up faster and pull from low down in the rev range. And when the car passes 4000RPM there is a really strong pull. The details state 200BHP plus from this unit and running on Shell Nitro (v-power) I can say it feels like it to.

Basically the car is quicker in every way and I would be surprised if it is not sub 7 second to 60 now. Having had a little blat against a 125i recently and the guy could not get away and out the corners I was getting the torque down much sooner. And it pulls to 3 figures like it never has before.

As I said its not a massive gain on power (40BHP if your lucky) but it does make a difference.

I just wish I had fitted this before my trip to the Nurburgring earlier this year.

This product won't save you fuel as you will want to enjoy the swell of Torque each time you twitch your right foot. And it has turn my 118i into a much better drivers car.

This is the how the car should be!

D
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
ipp
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2016 M135i

Nice! Only heard about these on diesels before.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
rpagianotto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F22 m235i 8AT

I recently installed a piggyback from DTE Systems in my 118i, but unlike you, I'm not satisfied by the results!

It's really weird, actually, with the same fuel, sometimes I feel as if the car is faster, but most of the time, I feel it's actually losing power. I measured acceleration with the iPhone's dynolicious fusion app before and after.

Before I installed the piggyback, I managed 7,1s in a 0-100km/h run and 14,8s in a 0-400m run. After the piggyback, my best time was 8,0 in the 0-100km/h and 15,6 in the 0-400m.

I've actually already gotten in touch with DTE and I'll be shipping the unit back so they can have a look at it! Weird, right?

I read about it somewhere, that the car's ECU after some time will relearn how to interpret the signals from the piggyback, so the output is reversed to normal. Does anyone know how this works?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #4
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

@rpagianotto: from what I read you should use only higher octane fuel after the tune to obtain the advertised numbers...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
rpagianotto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F22 m235i 8AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
@rpagianotto: from what I read you should use only higher octane fuel after the tune to obtain the advertised numbers...
That's the thing, I've only used high octane fuel (RON= 102) ever since I got my car, and kept using it after I installed the piggyback!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
dape90
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2013 F20 118i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpagianotto
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladberca View Post
That's the thing, I've only used high octane fuel (RON= 102) ever since I got my car, and kept using it after I installed the piggyback!
This is one of the reason why I went with the DTS box as it is mapped in a way to allow for variations in RON.
You will only ever get quoted increased figures if you use a high RON fuel but the people at DTS said that you will get an increase in performance even with 95 RON on there system.
Appreciate 0