BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Auto Start/Stop on F Code BMWs Can Be Changed By Dealers

07-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #1
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 116i Α/Τ

Auto Start/Stop on F Code BMWs Can Be Changed By Dealers

I really don't understand why there are still dealers who claim it can't be done!

http://www.bimmerfile.com/2012/08/10...ed-by-dealers/
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
chunkymonkey
Rep
Drives: 118d M Sport 5dr

How difficult is it to press a button!?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #3
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkymonkey View Post
And how difficult is it for the dealer to change this setting?

Why should I have to press the Start/Stop "Off" button and the A/C off button each time I start the engine? Thank god it's only those two buttons... In a parallel universe, with each engine start it could be more than that: the driver's window would go down, the headlights and alarm lights would turn on, the ashtray would pop out and the armrest would open. But hey, how difficult is it to press some more buttons EVERY day?

It's not a matter of difficulty but a matter of necessity and use according to each driver's preferences.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
chunkymonkey
Rep

Oh heavens!

What about the radio channel, the volume, the idrive, the cd track, the tripometer, the auto rain wipe, the cruise control, the mirrors, the seats...

You can automate allsorts, have settings for allsorts... but you will always press one button more, so it's hardly a drag
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Quote:
What about the radio channel, the volume, the idrive, the cd track, the tripometer, the auto rain wipe, the cruise control, the mirrors, the seats...
Those functions are supported on F30s only!

Quote:
You can automate allsorts, have settings for allsorts... but you will always press one button more, so it's hardly a drag
OK, I agree with you, it's one button (in my case two including the A/C button). But as I said earlier, it's a matter of necessity or how user friendly a system can be. Why should I disable systems I didn't want to use in the first place? It doesn't make sense. That's why I gave this exaggerated example in my previous post.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
Bradbury
Vroooooom!
Norway
Rep
Drives: F20 120d

Garage List
Quote:
I first noticed you in the Senna-thread where you completely dropped the ball with regards to the OP's question about Senna's driving technique, and now you're here trivializing an issue that a lot of people care about. You're a brand new user who is already on a fast track to my ignore list (population: zero). If you're just going to pollute threads with your snide remarks, then I rather not read anything you have to say.

Back to the topic:
I coincidentally emailed a dealer today regarding the this function. I asked if recoding it to last used mode is a service they provide and how much they charge for it. No answer yet, but I hope they can do it.

I had a manual 1-series before, and start/stop worked like a gem because I was in control of it. Now I have the automatic transmission, and I just can't stand it anymore. When I drive the car out of a parking lot and stop briefly just to make sure it's clear, and the engine shuts down. That's really annoying. With the 6mt I would never release the clutch in such a situation, so the engine would remain on. At a red light -- or in a similar situation where I could be standing for a while -- I would release the clutch and let the engine shut down to save fuel. Worked fine with the third pedal...
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
chunkymonkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradbury View Post
You're a brand new user who is already on a fast track to my ignore list (population: zero)...
How will I get through the day...

Seriously though, if, sometimes, I use too few words or am very direct and it appears as snide, I apologise to those that matter.

I find, it is all too easy to take yourself too seriously and an objective view, while not to everyone's liking, is not always a bad thing.

Plus, you can't like everybody, all of the time... eh, Bradders!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Back to the topic:
I coincidentally emailed a dealer today regarding the this function. I asked if recoding it to last used mode is a service they provide and how much they charge for it. No answer yet, but I hope they can do it.
They can, but they will not do it in Norway. It is a political thing, as the car tax is based on emission tests where this function is presumed to work. With this feature, they will have to recompute CO2 emissions and your car should be more expensive.

Your best bet is to get it done at a dealer at a trip abroad, or by somebody who can do coding at home.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #9
johnnydad
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW M2 - 05 RS Clio 182 Cup

Quote:
Oh heavens!

Clio is great, hop in, grab seatbelt, turn key and away we go.

BMW - hop in, grab seatbelt, push start, push start/stop, push iDrive to "OK", push Sport button thrice in quick succession, and off we go. Certainly not that much trouble, but some days when you get in and out of the car a dozen of so times, you do wonder if being able to have the option of setting these relatively core things as your favourite (like the seat, climate, radio/sound etc etc settings) would be a good idea
99 BMW Baby Racer - red; 05 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup - French Racing Blue - Konis - Eibachs - Remus - Turinis
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 02:42 AM   #10
Bradbury
Vroooooom!
Norway
Rep
Drives: F20 120d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
They can, but they will not do it in Norway. It is a political thing, as the car tax is based on emission tests where this function is presumed to work. With this feature, they will have to recompute CO2 emissions and your car should be more expensive.

Your best bet is to get it done at a dealer at a trip abroad, or by somebody who can do coding at home.
Yes, the dealer I contacted is in Germany. I'm not planning the drive down there just to deactivate start/stop. The plan is to get the Power Kit, but it would be a nice bonus to get start/stop sorted as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 05:16 AM   #11
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

Quote:
I first noticed you in the Senna-thread where you completely dropped the ball with regards to the OP's question about Senna's driving technique, and now you're here trivializing an issue that a lot of people care about. You're a brand new user who is already on a fast track to my ignore list (population: zero). If you're just going to pollute threads with your snide remarks, then I rather not read anything you have to say.
+1; well put
      07-31-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
BenN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d MSport Plus

Does anyone know whether there is a way of the car remembering which mode you were last in? Eco/Comfort/Sport etc.. as it would be perfect if it could remember on a per-key basis (gets around the argument of 'well the wife wont want it in sport when she drives'). I know its only a mild inconvenience, but as others have hinted at, pressing the rocker to sport each time you get in is abit of an inconvenience at times
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 09:30 AM   #13
ipp
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2016 M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenN View Post
Does anyone know whether there is a way of the car remembering which mode you were last in? Eco/Comfort/Sport etc.. as it would be perfect if it could remember on a per-key basis (gets around the argument of 'well the wife wont want it in sport when she drives'). I know its only a mild inconvenience, but as others have hinted at, pressing the rocker to sport each time you get in is abit of an inconvenience at times
I think it's the same story here. When they determines the consumption, emissions and tax for a car it's in the mode which is the default mode when you start it up.

Source: guess
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #14
chunkymonkey
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcomma View Post
+1; well put
+2: I agree, we must deal sternly with those who would dare to trivialize this very serious matter.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #15
orcomma
Dividing by zero
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 XDrive20d xLine

Quote:
+2: I agree, we must deal sternly with those who would dare to trivialize this very serious matter.
Ambassador you do spoil us with these golden treats of one liners
      08-01-2013, 02:12 AM   #16
Dim73
Private First Class
Greece
Rep

Quote:
What a troll!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2013, 02:35 AM   #17
GTJansz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 125i MSport, Estoril Blue

I just had my 15,000 km service done on my 125i. Bib Stillwell BMW in Melbourne quoted me $600 to turn off the stop/start!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 03:48 AM   #18
Arrow29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 comp, X5 M50i ordered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTJansz
I just had my 15,000 km service done on my 125i. Bib Stillwell BMW in Melbourne quoted me $600 to turn off the stop/start!
I picked up my M135i earlier this week. Dealer (Perth) told me that BMW in Australia will now recode the stop start feature for free because they had so many people asking for it.

I'm going to get mine done next month, thought I'd give it a chance but I just turn it off every time I start the drive so definitely going to code it!
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #19
iBeech
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D F11 2015

Garage List
my dealer said they can do it, but BMW HQ require a written note from a doctor to state why.

they claimed that in order to keep the car in a particular emissions bracket, they were now allowed to completely disable the feature.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #20
modeller
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBeech View Post
my dealer said they can do it, but BMW HQ require a written note from a doctor to state why.

they claimed that in order to keep the car in a particular emissions bracket, they were now allowed to completely disable the feature.
That's probably true for type approval of a new car. But modifications are allowed on UK cars and then it's down between you and your insurer.

BTW, you can code the car to remember the last setting .. hardly any different than offering an on/off switch as they do today.

You could also ask BMW, if they're so concerned about emissions, why they've disabled eco pro coasting (gives 5-10% economy improvement) for the UK market.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #21
frs3052
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: W205 c220 & R53 Mini

Might be a newbie question but why would you want to turn it off?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #22
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

Quote:
Originally Posted by frs3052 View Post
Might be a newbie question but why would you want to turn it off?
The start/stop-feature? It can be rather annoying in stop and go traffic, constantly stopping the engine. I usually leave it on, and try to avoid stop and go traffic instead!
Appreciate 0