BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Looking at a turboed E30 this weekend

10-30-2017, 09:56 AM   #1
Faredo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Looking at a turboed E30 this weekend

This will be for a friend but other than knowing if its tuned too a safe level and if the bottom is about to fall out of it i know nothing of the platform.
What are the "HPFP, VCG's" of this platform?
1990 325i running some ebay turbo kit with Megasquirt. the ebay kit is a huge turnoff but the car is extremely clean. From what the owner says the kit is pretty good other than the cheap turbo they come with.
Mods related to trouble shooting posts: Stock Turbos, MHD OTS V7 stage 2+ 93 oct, VRSF Downpipes, VRSF Relocated inlets, CTS Turbo 7" Intercooler, Tial BOV with upgraded line 5.56mm, index 12 injectors, A/T OEM Flash.

Last edited by Faredo; 10-30-2017 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

BMW engines from that era are BULLETPROOF. I had an M42 equipped E30 318is, it had 160,xxx miles on it when I got it, put nearly 200,000 miles on it and all it needed was oil change and a new timing chain tensioner. Nothing else. Heck it ran so strong that at 265,xxx miles the odometer gears broke and I never bothered to fix it and kept running it for few more years. Finally sold it for $500 to a guy running LEMONS knowing that it won't pass title inspection due to the broken odometer gear. They convert it into a LEMONS car, ran the full race, came in 13 out of 50 teams, then converted it into a NASA Touring class race car, blew a diff, blew the transmission, and the engine was still going after all that. Eventually the race miles caught up and it was uncompetitive, and an engine swap was performed.

HPFP problems, spun bearings, and carbon deposit problems like what plagues BMW engines of today are unheard of back then.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.

Last edited by The HACK; 10-30-2017 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 3
Faredo312.00
SaltyNC369.50