BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > FAO South African Members- M-sport accessories price list

10-19-2013, 06:28 AM   #1
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '15 F30 328i '15 F12 650i

FAO South African Members- M-sport accessories price list

1 series on show at JIMS had all the parts from the M sport catalogue fitted to it. Even a system that let you compare the noise of the standard M135i exhaust to the upgraded version (not worth the money in my opinion). Was able to cross things off my list like the blacklight tail lights and the bodykits after seeing them in the metal.

But I love the wheels, At R46k...

and the interior bits with the alcantara dashboard and the carbon fibre type trim to replace or the metal at a more manageable price. Will go nicely with my alcantara seats... I'm thinking about fitting that

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
WOW, thanks for posting! I couldn't make it to the Johannesburg International Motor Show (JIMS) this week. It looks like I missed out on a lot.

PLEASE can you post more pictures if you have! If you have all the pictures of the BMW section, please post and you might even get a bimmerpost front page feature.

I would love to see that entire 1 series, especially those blacked out tailights.
OMG R46000 for 4 wheels is the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard of! Not to mention R36000 for brakes and R18000 for mirror caps?! Nobody is going to buy it at that price!

EDIT: Oh god, the total price of the M135i is R724792! Nice
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

I'm no photographer but I took a few shots of the BMW stand. Managed to not take a single photo of the 4 series, or the M5 in Frozen Estoril blue!! But did get to sit in the i8 which was a privileged afforded to those there on the press/preview day. I fortunately managed to get preview tickets as I'm not part of the media.

Anyway a few snapshots, nothing special.

The i8 Has a very high door sill and low seats making it very difficult to get in and out.

The interior holds no surprises and is a combination of cheap looking materials (presumably light) and parts that come from the generic bmw parts bin. You would think they'd use the ceramic idrive/gear lever/climate control knobs off the top end bmws, not the cheaper stuff, surely they can't be any heavier? I can go on for a car that is coming in price wise at R8 V10 or 991 Turbo levels.

Interior roof lining is 1 series quality, unimpressive fabric seats and useless rear seats and a tiny boot at the rear. Just not good packaging. Even the naked carbon fibre work seems very poor.

Even if I could get my head around buying a car with such a the revolutionary drivetrain, I would struggle to justify paying its price tag for that quality.

Below is a pic of the door of the i3. That material is apparently "hemp" and environmentally friendly, but feels like that rough fibre glass type material you'll find lurking around the spare wheel well in a budget car.

The car on show didn't even have a multi function steering wheel!

Like the i8, I simply couldn't see myself paying 1 series money (or more) for a car that is finished to such a poor perceived standard of quality an entry level micro hatch would be embarrassed to try pull it off. Regardless of how much of a bunny hugger I am and environmentally friendly it is, I think these cars just require too much of a paradigm shift on so many levels of buyer expectations.

The rest:

New X5 is magnificent. The interior has taken a big step up in quality and the overall package has just been polished to make it a convincing evolution of the outgoing X5, already a very good car.

The new touch sensitive idrive controller works exactly like it should. Big improvement when entering letters, otherwise the software looks pretty much identical.

however, I'm left handed, would be interesting to hear how a right handed person finds it in a RHD car as was presumably originally designed for a LHD car and right handed person. As you can see the "B" I was drawing wasn't turning into a work of art despite my left handed advantage, but the car identified it straight away.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel20 View Post
I'm no photographer but I took a few shots of the BMW stand. Managed to not take a single photo of the 4 series, or the M5 in Frozen Estoril blue!! But did get to sit in the i8 which was a privileged afforded to those there on the press/preview day. I fortunately managed to get preview tickets as I'm not part of the media.

Anyway a few snapshots, nothing special.

The i8 Has a very high door sill and low seats making it very difficult to get in and out.

The interior holds no surprises and is a combination of cheap looking materials (presumably light) and parts that come from the generic bmw parts bin. You would think they'd use the ceramic idrive/gear lever/climate control knobs off the top end bmws, not the cheaper stuff, surely they can't be any heavier? I can go on for a car that is coming in price wise at R8 V10 or 991 Turbo levels.

Interior roof lining is 1 series quality, unimpressive fabric seats and useless rear seats and a tiny boot at the rear. Just not good packaging. Even the naked carbon fibre work seems very poor.

Even if I could get my head around buying a car with such a the revolutionary drivetrain, I would struggle to justify paying its price tag for that quality.

Below is a pic of the door of the i3. That material is apparently "hemp" and environmentally friendly, but feels like that rough fibre glass type material you'll find lurking around the spare wheel well in a budget car.

The car on show didn't even have a multi function steering wheel!

Like the i8, I simply couldn't see myself paying 1 series money (or more) for a car that is finished to such a poor perceived standard of quality an entry level micro hatch would be embarrassed to try pull it off. Regardless of how much of a bunny hugger I am and environmentally friendly it is, I think these cars just require too much of a paradigm shift on so many levels of buyer expectations.

The rest:

New X5 is magnificent. The interior has taken a big step up in quality and the overall package has just been polished to make it a convincing evolution of the outgoing X5, already a very good car.

The new touch sensitive idrive controller works exactly like it should. Big improvement when entering letters, otherwise the software looks pretty much identical.

however, I'm left handed, would be interesting to hear how a right handed person finds it in a RHD car as was presumably originally designed for a LHD car and right handed person. As you can see the "B" I was drawing wasn't turning into a work of art despite my left handed advantage, but the car identified it straight away.
Thanks for the pictures! I really wish I would've gone..

The interior layout of the i8 looks great but I'm disappointed in the poor quality as you have mentioned. The car is stunning on its own though. That i3 picture of the door looks bad for such an expensive car too.

The X4 is beautiful and we can only hope that it looks similar to that when it debuts. I'm still not completely convinced with th X5. I will have to see it in person to decide. The interior looks very sumptuous though.

Wow, I can't believe that you don't like that 1 series M-performance aero kit and black taillights. From that picture, it looks amazing!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

In Norway, the i3 will be rather cheap, around the same level as a stripped out 114i. Electric cars can drive in the bus lanes, they pay no road toll, they have free parking, free ferries, and even free charging in some areas. I expect the i3 to sell rather well. The Nissan Leaf has been among the top 5 sold cars lately, and the Tesla Model S topped the list the first month it was delivered.

Well, the electric cars are not really cheaper in Norway, but conventional cars are very expensive here.

The i3 will be the cheapest BMW available here, and older people will like that it is rather tall, as they find the 1-series too hard to get in and out of. That makes the X1 or X3 the alternative if they want a BMW, and they are VERY expensive compared to the i3

BTW: I am also not very impressed by the aero kit and the black tail lights. Prefer the standard M-Sport look.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
In Norway, the i3 will be rather cheap, around the same level as a stripped out 114i. Electric cars can drive in the bus lanes, they pay no road toll, they have free parking, free ferries, and even free charging in some areas. I expect the i3 to sell rather well. The Nissan Leaf has been among the top 5 sold cars lately, and the Tesla Model S topped the list the first month it was delivered.

Well, the electric cars are not really cheaper in Norway, but conventional cars are very expensive here.

The i3 will be the cheapest BMW available here, and older people will like that it is rather tall, as they find the 1-series too hard to get in and out of. That makes the X1 or X3 the alternative if they want a BMW, and they are VERY expensive compared to the i3

BTW: I am also not very impressed by the aero kit and the black tail lights. Prefer the standard M-Sport look.
There are no tax benefits or any kind of incentive for low/no emissions cars in South Africa. You pay an emission tax upfront when you buy the car new, is a fairly insignificant amount of money and that's it.

There are also no anywhere charging stations as yet and we're a country of big distances. The Nissan leaf has also just been launched in south africa and I expect it to hit the same problems.

The guys who want fuel efficient cars the most are the guys who travelling long distances and an electric car with limited speed and range is no good for that.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodite10 View Post

Wow, I can't believe that you don't like that 1 series M-performance aero kit and black taillights. From that picture, it looks amazing!
On any colour other than EB which mine is, I might consider the black lights. Silver, white, graphite, black, I all think they could look good on them.

The price is really reasonable and my understanding from what I read is that they plug and play even on a car that doesn't have the LED rear tail light. So a worthwhile upgrade if you don't have that.

Sadly bmw seems very behind when it comes to rear light design looking at the A class and A3. But even the 3/4 series and X models aren't using LEDs for anything than the strip lights, so it's not limited to the 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Strangely, the first full EV in South Africa went on sale last week! It is the popular Nissan Leaf. BMW will follow shortly with the i3 and i8. The leaf is priced around the M135i's price, which is absurd. We are one of the few countries where there is no green incentive discount on EV cars.

Here's the kicker: There is NO charging station infrastructure developed in South Africa yet, but Nissan has said that you can charge it during the night at your home and for free at any Nissan dealership around the country.
They have also strongly emphasised however that it is not being sold for numbers but merely to demonstrate the technology in the country and to provide a platform for this technology to kick off in this country.

The future of the i3 and i8 looks bleak but it is still going to be sold. I can't imagine the price.

I can imagine why EVs are so popular in Norway. From what I've seen, the prices of cars are insane, easily in the top 5 of the most expensive cars in the world. I really can't believe that the i3 is priced so well and has such great benefits! I would certainly get one if I'd live there .. Have you thought about getting one?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
On any colour other than EB which mine is, I might consider the black lights. Silver, white, graphite, black, I all think they could look good on them.

The price is really reasonable and my understanding from what I read is that they plug and play even on a car that doesn't have the LED rear tail light. So a worthwhile upgrade if you don't have that.

Sadly bmw seems very behind when it comes to rear light design looking at the A class and A3. But even the 3/4 series and X models aren't using LEDs for anything than the strip lights, so it's not limited to the 1 series.
You're right! The price is great at around R3000. Maybe that's for one light though because it seems too cheap LOL.

You say its plug and play, so it would even work on a base 116i, which is good...You know what, you have actually helped me decide on my first (and only) mod for my F20 if I eventually get one.

I agree with how behind BMW is on rear light technology, but I would rather have a 1 series over that overpriced A-class. I do like the A-class but have you seen how MB has sneakily increased the price of them, so the base 90 kW A180 is actually slightly more expensive than a 118i!! It's a major jump from R274K to R315K and it supposedly competes with the 116i. The A3 on the other hand is priced well and the LED lights are phenomenal.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
I can imagine why EVs are so popular in Norway. From what I've seen, the prices of cars are insane, easily in the top 5 of the most expensive cars in the world. I really can't believe that the i3 is priced so well and has such great benefits! I would certainly get one if I'd live there .. Have you thought about getting one?
Yes, I did consider it, and came to "not".
Pretty much all my daily transport to work, the gym and shops can be done by bicycle. We use the car mostly for holidays and to visit friends and family. I also use the car for recreational driving on tracks, both summer and winter. All in all, an electric car does not fit into this pattern. It is however very well suited for those who have a long commute to work, particularly by ferry or toll roads. Some of my colleagues have electric cars.

Due to the extreme incentives, Norway has become pretty much the most important market for electric cars in Europe. The reason is that we used to have factories making electric cars here, and the government wanted to protect them. It failed, but the incentives are still there, at least until 2017.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #11
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, I did consider it, and came to "not".
Pretty much all my daily transport to work, the gym and shops can be done by bicycle. We use the car mostly for holidays and to visit friends and family. I also use the car for recreational driving on tracks, both summer and winter. All in all, an electric car does not fit into this pattern. It is however very well suited for those who have a long commute to work, particularly by ferry or toll roads. Some of my colleagues have electric cars.

Due to the extreme incentives, Norway has become pretty much the most important market for electric cars in Europe. The reason is that we used to have factories making electric cars here, and the government wanted to protect them. It failed, but the incentives are still there, at least until 2017.
I would love it if I could travel around on a bike. How cool!

EVs will mostly be suited for city drivers in SA. Most of the people I know drive further than the range on one of these, but Nissan claims that 90% of people drive less than 200 km per day, so we shall see how successful this is going to be.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 11:44 AM   #12
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
I would love it if I could travel around on a bike. How cool!
Figuratively speaking cool, as it isn't very warm here. Last winter I had to give up the bicycle (with spiked tyres) only one day due to the weather, when there was 85 cm of fresh snow outside. So that day I used my cross country skies to work!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #13
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Figuratively speaking cool, as it isn't very warm here. Last winter I had to give up the bicycle (with spiked tyres) only one day due to the weather, when there was 85 cm of fresh snow outside. So that day I used my cross country skies to work!
Skiing to work, I love it!

SA has the perfect weather for biking. Safety is the issue here however lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
You're right! The price is great at around R3000. Maybe that's for one light though because it seems too cheap LOL.

You say its plug and play, so it would even work on a base 116i, which is good...You know what, you have actually helped me decide on my first (and only) mod for my F20 if I eventually get one.

I agree with how behind BMW is on rear light technology, but I would rather have a 1 series over that overpriced A-class. I do like the A-class but have you seen how MB has sneakily increased the price of them, so the base 90 kW A180 is actually slightly more expensive than a 118i!! It's a major jump from R274K to R315K and it supposedly competes with the 116i. The A3 on the other hand is priced well and the LED lights are phenomenal.
I'm sure I read somewhere it's plug and play and it doesn't throw up an error message with the tail lights now being LED instead of normal bulbs. But double check before you go buy them! I thought the same thing about it being for 1 when I saw the price

I hadn't checked on A class prices of late, I remember they were launched at really good prices and got points in reviews because of that. But there were like none available in the country, dealers couldn't even find me an A250 to look at. Always thought those prices were too good to be true I guess. But that's merc SA for you. For years they said their motorplan was better cause it was 6 years/120 000km... but left out the "staggered customer contribution" part, I.E. second year merc pays 80% customer pays 20%, third year merc pays 70% customer pays 30% etc This came as a rather nasty surprise to owners as their cars got older.

However I sat in a few at the motorshow and you know when a car just feels "wrong"? First thing you notice is that silly infotainment screen that looks like a stuck on garmin. And then seats, in the bmw you can tilt the whole seat up and down, on the merc you can only move the front but the back stays put.

It's small stuff, but suffice to say if I had gone the route of ordering an A250 blind without seeing one, like so many other people did, I would have been very disappointed when I finally got to sit in my new car that I had waited for much longer than I did my BM which I spec'd and ordered from the factory.

The A3 on the other hand... drove a 1.8T quattro and was all very nice and worked out quite a bit cheaper than my car... but just didn't do it for me.

Got to check out the S3 at the motorshow and all I'm saying is... if I had to replace my car tomorrow, up until I saw that S3 I would have just got an identical F21... now there might wind up being an Audi in my driveway
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #15
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm sure I read somewhere it's plug and play and it doesn't throw up an error message with the tail lights now being LED instead of normal bulbs. But double check before you go buy them! I thought the same thing about it being for 1 when I saw the price

I hadn't checked on A class prices of late, I remember they were launched at really good prices and got points in reviews because of that. But there were like none available in the country, dealers couldn't even find me an A250 to look at. Always thought those prices were too good to be true I guess. But that's merc SA for you. For years they said their motorplan was better cause it was 6 years/120 000km... but left out the "staggered customer contribution" part, I.E. second year merc pays 80% customer pays 20%, third year merc pays 70% customer pays 30% etc This came as a rather nasty surprise to owners as their cars got older.

However I sat in a few at the motorshow and you know when a car just feels "wrong"? First thing you notice is that silly infotainment screen that looks like a stuck on garmin. And then seats, in the bmw you can tilt the whole seat up and down, on the merc you can only move the front but the back stays put.

It's small stuff, but suffice to say if I had gone the route of ordering an A250 blind without seeing one, like so many other people did, I would have been very disappointed when I finally got to sit in my new car that I had waited for much longer than I did my BM which I spec'd and ordered from the factory.

The A3 on the other hand... drove a 1.8T quattro and was all very nice and worked out quite a bit cheaper than my car... but just didn't do it for me.

Got to check out the S3 at the motorshow and all I'm saying is... if I had to replace my car tomorrow, up until I saw that S3 I would have just got an identical F21... now there might wind up being an Audi in my driveway
Lol, thanks, I will check it out before I take the plunge.

It does seem like those A-class prices were too good to be true. I have never seen the interior physically, but that screen is pretty ridiculous, like an afterthought. The boot is also non-existent from what I've heard. In standard guise, the car just looks like a dinky toy hehe.
About that mobilodrive motorplan from MB, I too was surprised when I found out about the increasing payments for each service, but I understand that now it is completely free, like BMWs. So atleast there's something good there. In its defense, the A-class also comes with clever tech as standard, such as collision prevention and attention assist, which BMW does not even offer as an option.

That S3 is really sweet, especially the full LED lights! To have have full LED lights in this category of cars is impressive. I actually prefer the Audi's interior to the F20's right now, but the engine of the 1.4TFSI is what deterred me from seriously considering it. If you say the 1.8 is unimpressive, I can't imagine what the 1.4 would be like. You can always count on BMW for coming through on the engine front though.

As wonderful as the S3 is in every way (looks especially), SA will unfortunately be getting the detuned version, so power will be dropped from 221 kW to something like 201 kW, which is weird. The golf R is likely to suffer the same fate. I can't understand why though. It was something to do with the climate, but that's a terrible reason!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #16
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Dude attention assist just tells you to have a cup of coffee every 2 hours and that collision assist stuff comes as part of the lane keeping option on the Bm. But to give it its due it has a good standard spec and some nice reasonably priced options. Unlike the endless list that is the BMW price list.

My 125i wound up with about R100k worth of options, it remains to be seen how much they count for when I sell it. The A250 already has the sports pack and the xenon lights and the auto box etc etc.

But instead of having a nice 8 speed auto it has some terrible in house developed DCT type box. The A3 1.8T has DSG which is a better system... But just can't beat the 8 speed box.

And Quattro is a little excessive on a 132kw car. And everybody raves about the interior and "minimalist" design. For me I just found it had miles of blank dashboard... And a stupid pop up info screen (when would you ever drive the car with your info screen turned off and retracted?)

So the 1.8T Quattro disappoints although its a very solid and good but unremarkable package. I imagine the 1.4T is the same.

At even 206kw Quattro starts to make sense. And the interior has been pimped out a little and those LED headlights are only R11k extra as the S3 already has xenons as standard. On the outside it looks the business as well.. Even if 4 tail pipes might seem a little excessive on a 2.0l 4 cylinder motor! And... I could live with that gearbox given how appealing the rest of the package is.

And the GPS uses google earth!! Its epic. Vs bmws nav which I added to my car but doesn't seem to be aware of the existence of most placed such as sunninghill (not sure if you from jhb but that's a really big suburb). So I'm a little sour about the money wasted on that option.

But it brings me back to the same problem I had with the M135i. When kitted out and all is said and done, I just can't spend over R500k on a hatchback. It's nicely kitted out 328i money.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #17
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Dude attention assist just tells you to have a cup of coffee every 2 hours and that collision assist stuff comes as part of the lane keeping option on the Bm. But to give it its due it has a good standard spec and some nice reasonably priced options. Unlike the endless list that is the BMW price list.

My 125i wound up with about R100k worth of options, it remains to be seen how much they count for when I sell it. The A250 already has the sports pack and the xenon lights and the auto box etc etc.

But instead of having a nice 8 speed auto it has some terrible in house developed DCT type box. The A3 1.8T has DSG which is a better system... But just can't beat the 8 speed box.

And Quattro is a little excessive on a 132kw car. And everybody raves about the interior and "minimalist" design. For me I just found it had miles of blank dashboard... And a stupid pop up info screen (when would you ever drive the car with your info screen turned off and retracted?)

So the 1.8T Quattro disappoints although its a very solid and good but unremarkable package. I imagine the 1.4T is the same.

At even 206kw Quattro starts to make sense. And the interior has been pimped out a little and those LED headlights are only R11k extra as the S3 already has xenons as standard. On the outside it looks the business as well.. Even if 4 tail pipes might seem a little excessive on a 2.0l 4 cylinder motor! And... I could live with that gearbox given how appealing the rest of the package is.

And the GPS uses google earth!! Its epic. Vs bmws nav which I added to my car but doesn't seem to be aware of the existence of most placed such as sunninghill (not sure if you from jhb but that's a really big suburb). So I'm a little sour about the money wasted on that option.

But it brings me back to the same problem I had with the M135i. When kitted out and all is said and done, I just can't spend over R500k on a hatchback. It's nicely kitted out 328i money.
Lol I know, I know about it's about the drowsiness stuff. I didn't know BMW had the collision prevention option on the F20. That is really interesting.. I also agree with the price of the options on the A-class compared to all BMWs. It's dirt cheap. For example, leather on a B-class is like R1000. Don't ask why I know that..

Gosh, I can't imagine spending 100K on options alone! Sheesh, that's steep. I would've went with a M135i, but the fun is in the options anyway. I also didn't know that the A250 had such generous spec as standard. It now seems even more appealing.

I absolutely love the minimalist approach of the A3 interior and I'm one of those raving people lol. It is definitely the best iteration of Audi interiors. I personally can't stand their previous generation interiors on the current A4, A5 etc. It looks very dated and the auto shifter gets in the way of the climate control buttons.. The pop-up screen is a novelty, sure, but it is quite cool that it folds away when the car switches off and pops up when it's on. I don't think you can retract it while driving, so it just adds some more sophistication to an already sophisticated interior.

The A3 also has incredible spec for its price and again, full LEDs on a hatchback is impressive and standard xenons too. Those diamond-quilted sport seats are also gorgeous. It's a pity BMW does not offer said options. Xenons are not even standard on the M135i!!
I never really understood Audi's performance designation on its cars - Quad exhausts for 'S models and dual exhausts for 'RS'. It should surely be the other way around?! 4 tips on an A3 does certainly seem out of place!

I'm not familiar with any sort of navigation systems, as I've never spec'd it out on my cars. Maybe next time, just for the touch control iDrive lol.

Don't you think that the M135i is worthy of its price tag? It's literally a performance bargain, but I understand you when you don't want to spend upwards of 500K on a 1 series. It does sound odd... I don't think that the A45 AMG should command 600K for a standard car though too..I can understand the CLA45 being 674K though..Btw, if you think 500K on a hatch is bad, try 800K for the A45 AMG edition 1 ..I saw a few on autotrader..

Just as a side note, MB are currently offering the A200 black devil' edition at a cost of 16K extra. I have to say that it is uh..unique. Go check it out at MB SA's website.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #18
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Lol I know, I know about it's about the drowsiness stuff. I didn't know BMW had the collision prevention option on the F20. That is really interesting.. I also agree with the price of the options on the A-class compared to all BMWs. It's dirt cheap. For example, leather on a B-class is like R1000. Don't ask why I know that..

Gosh, I can't imagine spending 100K on options alone! Sheesh, that's steep. I would've went with a M135i, but the fun is in the options anyway. I also didn't know that the A250 had such generous spec as standard. It now seems even more appealing.

I absolutely love the minimalist approach of the A3 interior and I'm one of those raving people lol. It is definitely the best iteration of Audi interiors. I personally can't stand their previous generation interiors on the current A4, A5 etc. It looks very dated and the auto shifter gets in the way of the climate control buttons.. The pop-up screen is a novelty, sure, but it is quite cool that it folds away when the car switches off and pops up when it's on. I don't think you can retract it while driving, so it just adds some more sophistication to an already sophisticated interior.

The A3 also has incredible spec for its price and again, full LEDs on a hatchback is impressive and standard xenons too. Those diamond-quilted sport seats are also gorgeous. It's a pity BMW does not offer said options. Xenons are not even standard on the M135i!!
I never really understood Audi's performance designation on its cars - Quad exhausts for 'S models and dual exhausts for 'RS'. It should surely be the other way around?! 4 tips on an A3 does certainly seem out of place!

I'm not familiar with any sort of navigation systems, as I've never spec'd it out on my cars. Maybe next time, just for the touch control iDrive lol.

Don't you think that the M135i is worthy of its price tag? It's literally a performance bargain, but I understand you when you don't want to spend upwards of 500K on a 1 series. It does sound odd... I don't think that the A45 AMG should command 600K for a standard car though too..I can understand the CLA45 being 674K though..Btw, if you think 500K on a hatch is bad, try 800K for the A45 AMG edition 1 ..I saw a few on autotrader..

Just as a side note, MB are currently offering the A200 black devil' edition at a cost of 16K extra. I have to say that it is uh..unique. Go check it out at MB SA's website.
My F21 125i started off at a reasonable R330k. Pretty much the cheapest Way to get that amount of power and a decent badge. But the standard spec is pathetic.

Then came the M sport pack (and another R7k for the 18" wheels which you gotta have, ouch). Xenons, sunroof, front and rear pdc (pays for itself if you ever knock the front) H/K sound, navigation, extended Bluetooth (I must be the only person I know who actually has a cradle for my iphone to charge it and use the cars phone aerial, plus give me a place to store it out of sight, the joys of jhb) and of course bypassing the need the for the infamous Y cable and give my H/K a chance by receiving digital signal from the iPod.

Then bits and pieces, the comfort pack with climate control, auto dimming mirror and extended lights pack.

And lastly the sports auto box. Problem is I came from a GTI which had so much of that standard, even more, like heated seats! And before I knew it I was at R450k before discount. Nothing there is excessive I don't think, sure some nice-to-haves but the GTI had spoiled me in that regard.

And trust me there are many more toys left on the price list I don't have! In fact my car has the alcantara interior which I love, instead of leather (from choice not budget, owned so many cars with black leather that is the only sensible colour to get on an EB car that I'm bored of it)

Spitting distance from a M135i, modestly specc'd. So the M135i is a performance bargin if you spec it lightly, although a lot of the stuff I added is already standard on that.

But you take the lower fuel consumption and insurance of the 125i, the slightly lower appetite for rear tyres and I'm not much of a robot racer and drag strip king, and hardly get to use all of my mere 160kw, let alone if I had 240kw! So I'm happy with my choice, I enjoy the toys more than the power as I spend most of my driving in traffic.

Take an M135i to the same spec level and you paying bang on the same money as a 328i m sport with the same toys. Actually went into the dealer to order a 328i and saw an 1 in EB M sport and fell in love with it. One last hatch before I turn 30 and buy a grown up car

Don't get me wrong when I do see an M135i I'm prone to a bit of doubt. But I also remember it takes a trained eye to tell the difference between that and a 118i M sport!

Funnily enough I saw in a CLA at the show and at a very average 5'10" my head was digging into the rear roof lining when I sat in the back. They should have just made it a sexy coupe if its that compromised in the back. Plus merc dealers, and I went to a few, have major attitude if you want to buy an A class, because of the demand.

No way am I gonna beg a dealer to sell me a car and let's see how the attitude changes when the hype wears down and it becomes just another hatch fighting for a place in a crowded segment.

Btw don't forget those diamond quilted seats on the S3 are an extra R20k, and LED headlights are R20k on anything other than an S3.

When my parents were buying their bmws in the 80's/early 90's the only question was if you wanted a sunroof. How times have changed!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 06:38 AM   #19
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

In Europe, the BMWs in the eighties were rather stripped out in basic trim, with lots of expensive options, just like now. If you bought a standard 3 series, you had to hand crank the windows, and there was no power steering, A/C or ABS brakes. The list of extra features was rather long.

I like this concept, because not all people like the optional gadgets. For them, they are just silly things that makes the car heavier, slower, less reliable and more expensive. If it is all standard equipment, it means you have no choice, and have to take all these things you don't like.

I would have liked to get rid of some of the things that were mandatory on the F20, like runflat tyres (which I actually got rid of) and the sliding arm rest.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #20
diesel20
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
In Europe, the BMWs in the eighties were rather stripped out in basic trim, with lots of expensive options, just like now. If you bought a standard 3 series, you had to hand crank the windows, and there was no power steering, A/C or ABS brakes. The list of extra features was rather long.

I like this concept, because not all people like the optional gadgets. For them, they are just silly things that makes the car heavier, slower, less reliable and more expensive. If it is all standard equipment, it means you have no choice, and have to take all these things you don't like.

I would have liked to get rid of some of the things that were mandatory on the F20, like runflat tyres (which I actually got rid of) and the sliding arm rest.
All bmws for South Africa were assembled here in the 80s due to international trade restrictions. So they had to streamline. I don't see the point of buying a premium car with a pathetic spec because then all you are really paying for is the badge.

But in South Africa the 3 series outsells the 1 series 3 to 1 (lol I didn't make that up, it's the correct statistic!) And the smallest diesel you can buy is a 320d or 120d. In fact only recently was the 316i introduced, before then on the F30 range the 320i was the entry level model and has a decent spec.

So clearly the South African buyer has different expectations. We also expect our cars to come with full maintenance plans, in the case of BMW its 5 years/100 000km, which is extendable. This also includes roadside assistance.

Runflat tyres are a contentious issue especially as I made reference to earlier a country with long distances without tyre shops or any towns for 100's of km. but with no space for a spare in a boot that is already quite small, what option do you have? If you choose to ditch the runflats and squeeze a space saver kit in the car somewhere, it's the buyers prerogative, but hardly a viable OEM solution. As people demand bigger and bigger wheels on their cars, full size spares become less and less feasible. Where would an 18" spare go in a 1 series and where would you even put the original punctured wheel if you had passengers and luggage and had fitted a space saver? The new A class is also on runflats btw.

As for the sliding armrest, its a tiny little cost for a feature you don't use. Would you prefer a fixed arm rest, or just a hole where an armrest should go?

In South Africa you get very little money back for options you add to the car. So the lower the standard spec, the bigger the depreciation from cost of a specc'd up car.

I bought a BMW because it is a technologically advanced car (with the right options) otherwise I would have just saved a lot of money and bought an entry level, low spec Toyota or something. Looking at how most other members have specc'd their cars on this forum, it would seem I'm not alone in wanting a lot of toys, optional or standard.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 08:15 AM   #21
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
All bmws for South Africa were assembled here in the 80s due to international trade restrictions. So they had to streamline. I don't see the point of buying a premium car with a pathetic spec because then all you are really paying for is the badge.
For me, BMW is the only rear wheel drive car in the class, and the car with the best and most entertaining handling. How it drives is by far the most important feature. Some of the options makes the car less interesting to drive, as it takes control away from the driver, and makes it heavier and more sluggish. Even in completely stripped out form, it is still the only RWD car in the class, and it still has superior handling. That is what I expect from the badge. Not a rolling spa resort.

Quote:
As for the sliding armrest, its a tiny little cost for a feature you don't use. Would you prefer a fixed arm rest, or just a hole where an armrest should go?
A fixed arm rest would be an improvement, as I could actually lean on it when readjusting myself in the seat without the arm rest sliding away. It would have been even better if it was completely gone, so it would not get in the way of my elbow when I work on the steering wheel or gear lever.

When a tall person adjusts the seat all the way down, the arm rest stays put, and will of course interfere with the arm. I usually fold it back when driving in a spirited way, but I remember my arm rest in my previous BMW eventually got worn, causing the arm rest to fold down again every time I was braking hard.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #22
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My F21 125i started off at a reasonable R330k. Pretty much the cheapest Way to get that amount of power and a decent badge. But the standard spec is pathetic.

Then came the M sport pack (and another R7k for the 18" wheels which you gotta have, ouch). Xenons, sunroof, front and rear pdc (pays for itself if you ever knock the front) H/K sound, navigation, extended Bluetooth (I must be the only person I know who actually has a cradle for my iphone to charge it and use the cars phone aerial, plus give me a place to store it out of sight, the joys of jhb) and of course bypassing the need the for the infamous Y cable and give my H/K a chance by receiving digital signal from the iPod.

Then bits and pieces, the comfort pack with climate control, auto dimming mirror and extended lights pack.

And lastly the sports auto box. Problem is I came from a GTI which had so much of that standard, even more, like heated seats! And before I knew it I was at R450k before discount. Nothing there is excessive I don't think, sure some nice-to-haves but the GTI had spoiled me in that regard.

And trust me there are many more toys left on the price list I don't have! In fact my car has the alcantara interior which I love, instead of leather (from choice not budget, owned so many cars with black leather that is the only sensible colour to get on an EB car that I'm bored of it)

Spitting distance from a M135i, modestly specc'd. So the M135i is a performance bargin if you spec it lightly, although a lot of the stuff I added is already standard on that.

But you take the lower fuel consumption and insurance of the 125i, the slightly lower appetite for rear tyres and I'm not much of a robot racer and drag strip king, and hardly get to use all of my mere 160kw, let alone if I had 240kw! So I'm happy with my choice, I enjoy the toys more than the power as I spend most of my driving in traffic.

Take an M135i to the same spec level and you paying bang on the same money as a 328i m sport with the same toys. Actually went into the dealer to order a 328i and saw an 1 in EB M sport and fell in love with it. One last hatch before I turn 30 and buy a grown up car

Don't get me wrong when I do see an M135i I'm prone to a bit of doubt. But I also remember it takes a trained eye to tell the difference between that and a 118i M sport!

Funnily enough I saw in a CLA at the show and at a very average 5'10" my head was digging into the rear roof lining when I sat in the back. They should have just made it a sexy coupe if its that compromised in the back. Plus merc dealers, and I went to a few, have major attitude if you want to buy an A class, because of the demand.

No way am I gonna beg a dealer to sell me a car and let's see how the attitude changes when the hype wears down and it becomes just another hatch fighting for a place in a crowded segment.

Btw don't forget those diamond quilted seats on the S3 are an extra R20k, and LED headlights are R20k on anything other than an S3.

When my parents were buying their bmws in the 80's/early 90's the only question was if you wanted a sunroof. How times have changed!
I think you've got the perfect spec going on there. I ALWAYS choose xenons, pdc, sunroof, 18" wheels, m-sport (well sport line in the case of my F30, as I preferred it to M-sport surprisingly) and manual.. I've never touched an auto, navigation and upgraded sound, although I'm inclined to choose a variation of that for my next car hopefully! I seriously can't believe that you spent 450K for your 125i!!! But that's the reality nowadays. Nothing is cheap and you get what you pay for. But those extras obviously increase the enjoyment and quality of your daily drive, so it's definitely well worth it, if you think about it. I'm just such a conservative person and quite miserly with my money lol.

I'm good with just having the standard bluetooth for hands-free calls lol! I only listen to the radio exclusively, which defeats the purpose of extended BT and HK systems for me. The spec on my F30 was very generous to begin with, so it was one of the reasons I chose it. Climate control and leather come to mind.

But you can't beat the spec of the GTI. It's probably the best performance bargain right now, especially the MK7. Did you consider the new GTI as a viable replacement to your previous GTI? It's also very technologically advanced, but obviously not in the way as the BMW is...

You're right in that the M135i would be a waste for you, when the extras and sufficient 160 kW is enough for traffic-rich day, especially in JHB. It definitely makes sense especially when you consider that the same spec'd out M135i would run for demo 335i money..

It's just plain stupid that MB dealers have an attitude to sell A-classes due to the limited supply? Such nonsense. I can imagine the same happening with the CLA. But the price of the CLA does make you realise why they would be in demand. The CLA200 is cheaper than a standard F30 320i, just saying...

Those diamond-quilted seats is a must-have for the S3, as well as the LEDs. At 11K, I don't expect to see any S3s on the road without them.
If the S3 is priced right (especially in saloon form, yum), it will be a tough decision between that and the new M235i next year
Appreciate 0