BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Just ordered my new baby after a small mistake

06-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Meanie
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW G82 M4C

Just ordered my new baby after a small mistake

Hi there,

So today I got the option to spec a 125i that was about to go into production in the next couple of days.

Here is what I have specced:

- Alpine White III
- Leather Dakota Black
- M Sport Line
- 18" Star Spoke style 386 M
- Adaptive M running gear
- M Sport Brakes
- Sport Automatic transmission
- Sunroof
- Automatic Anti-dazzle interior mirror
- Xenons
- PDC Rear
- Adaptive headlights
- Automatic air conditioning with micro filter
- Cruise Control with Brake Function
- Extended Light Package
- High Beam assis
- Nav Pro
- H/K Sound System
- BMW Live
- Music Interface
- Connectivity
- Apps
- Instrument cluster with extended contents

Expected delivery date: 15th September (OH THE WAIT IS GONNA KILL ME)

I did consider the 135M, however having an M3 (E92) and soon adding an M6 coupe I thought this would be a great run around for me.

Looking forward to any comments!
- 2008 E92 ///M3 - AW, CF Leather Trim, 6MT - Mods: Black Grills, Black Gills, CF mirrors - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i M Sport (soon)

Congrats on that!
Very similar spec to mine except the colour (sapphire black) and I selected manual gear box...
For me the wait is close to the end: about 10 days...
In 2 weeks I'll feedback impression of my long, very long drives to compensate the too long wait
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #3
Meanie
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavVD View Post
Congrats on that!
Very similar spec to mine except the colour (sapphire black) and I selected manual gear box...
In 2 weeks I'll feedback impression of my long, very long drives to compensate the too long wait
Thanks a million, after having a test drive in the 125i I have fallen in love with this car!

Good luck on your wait, only a few more days left for you
- 2008 E92 ///M3 - AW, CF Leather Trim, 6MT - Mods: Black Grills, Black Gills, CF mirrors - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
Congrats! You picked all the important options, so this should be a great ride. I've had mine for 2 months now. This is probably the first really practical car in my life (buying with your heart instead of your mind can give odd results). I am impressed of how smooth and easy my realationship with the F20 is. Just a great car. Inspiring to drive, allthough a little too soft for being an M-sport. Both fast and economical
Hope you will be just as pleased as I am.....
      06-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
nilo
Enlisted Member
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW 118d F20 M Sport

Garage List
Congrats! Looks like a great car. I'm looking forward to seeing a white M sport.

Just out of curiosity: is there a reason why you didn't pick the Variable Sport Steering?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I would pay extra to get the car without the variable steering. According to BMW, the steering ratio changes with conditions, and I want the steering predictable. In my F20, the steering is just as good in Eco Pro mode as in Sport+. I would not want the steering to go numb in any situations.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I would pay extra to get the car without the variable steering. According to BMW, the steering ratio changes with conditions, and I want the steering predictable. In my F20, the steering is just as good in Eco Pro mode as in Sport+. I would not want the steering to go numb in any situations.
I agree. I have the standard steering and don't miss anything. It's precise and giving the feedback you want.
      06-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
Meanie
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superspeed View Post
I agree. I have the standard steering and don't miss anything. It's precise and giving the feedback you want.
Agreed
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
XavVD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 125i M Sport (soon)

+1
I test drove an Audi with this variable gear ratio steering and found it absolutely awful. To be honest I also drove another Audi without it and it was also horrible steering feel, but a bit less
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
Meanie
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Do you think there is anything missing from the spec I have put together? I know I do not want to go for Variable Sport Steering.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
ovekvam
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2021 Galvanic Gold i3S

I think you have enough options. I would probably have deleted some more options, but then again I am slightly minimalistic.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
I would definitely go for the DAB-radio. Depending on your needs you might also consider the 40/20/40 folding back seat.
The last thing I would consider is rear view camera for presicion parking. Not absolutely necessary as long as you've got the pdc, but nice
      06-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #13
Meanie
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

I was thinking about adding/changing from just interior anti-dazzle to Interior and Exterior mirrors with automatic anti-dazzle function (SA430) for the auto mirrors, however on my 335 I find the dimming can become irritating at night with regards to visibility.

I am in two minds about Speed Limit Info, Internet Access and Lane Change Warning / Collision system (I head the Collision system can give off many false positives).

I am going to be the only driver, so I find no need for electric seats.

DAB-radio is not available as an option in South Africa as far as I know.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #14
Meanie
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovekvam View Post
I think you have enough options. I would probably have deleted some more options, but then again I am slightly minimalistic.
True, however I love my toys
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #15
wadded
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XavVD View Post
Congrats on that!
Look forward to hearing your feedback on the 125i, from another eagerly awaiting person!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 05:10 PM   #16
wadded
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanie View Post
Thanks a million, after having a test drive in the 125i I have fallen in love with this car!

Good luck on your wait, only a few more days left for you
Congrats on the choice! Tell us about the test drive ;-)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #17
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanie View Post
I am in two minds about Speed Limit Info, Internet Access and Lane Change Warning / Collision system (I head the Collision system can give off many false positives).
I admit I am a gadget freak, so If I had to do it again, I would have picked the speed limit info.
Internet is useless. Too slow, only works during standstill and I've got it to work only 1 - one - time.
Lane change warning is ok if you're tired. It works well. The collision warning is useless. A red symbol flashes on the instrument panel if you get too close to the car in front of you. Personally I prefer looking out of the windshield instead of gazing on the instrument panel when driving with small margins. Best way to avoid collisions.....

I would have saved the money for leather sets. The standard M interior in cloth/Alcantara hexagon style is good (better?) looking and has better seat comfort.
Personally I don't care about sunroof either, but that's just me....

Last edited by Superspeed; 06-28-2012 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 05:30 PM   #18
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol01 View Post
well regardless of type of steering system I think the steering feedback is my biggest criticism of recent beemers. they just don't give you the same feedback as older generation used to which is a shame. but that variable steering is a waste of money I have to agree
I find the variable steering quite good on the large and heavy 6er. On the 1 series however I didn't get convinced on the test drive and I don't miss it at all!
I agree the steering was sharper on former BMWs, as was the chassis. Still it seems to be quite good compared to other cars, as we've learnt from the auto cross story of ovekvam. But I hope BMW don't go any further on that cotton covered path, just to please even more atypical BMW customers......

Last edited by Superspeed; 06-28-2012 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 11:38 PM   #19
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

I agree with the consensus, the adaptive steering is a waste,
Looks like you have a good pack of goodies, however, you may want to consider the Pro Nav includes additions like the instument black screen, advanced connectivity and few extra functions with the sound system particularly if you like using the Iphone or Ipod.
Ask your dealer what the cost difference would be to add the Pro Nav and DAB as you would be taking out the items that are included in the Pro Nav
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 05:11 AM   #20
Fanis
Lieutenant
Greece
Rep
Drives: 116i (F20) Auto

Garage List
Fantastic car, in the right colour and with loads of extras...doew not get much better than this!
2005-07: BMW 325ti (E46)
2004-05: BMW 318i (E36)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #21
Meanie
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadded View Post
Congrats on the choice! Tell us about the test drive ;-)
Luckily I have a very good relationship with my dealer (I think I have bought enough BMWs from them) and I was allowed to push the car as hard as I wanted. I think the first thing that I need to state is that previously as my first ever car I purchased a BMW 130i 3-door a couple of years ago. I think just for reference sake I need to say that living in South Africa and naturally being at high-altitude, naturally aspirated engines suffer and seriously kills the true performance of the engine.

Onto my observations and experience:

The 125i that I drove was an M Sport with the ZF Automatic transmission. From just an external appearance I can say without a shadow of a doubt BMW has really improved leaps and bounds from the previous 1 series. I think one thing that has really caught my attention is how nice the lines flow on the new 1 series (especially on the M Sport). I am so happy that the rear black diffuser has gone to a high-gloss black instead of that horrible matt black seen on the previous 1 series. In my opinion I thought the front of the previous 1 series was very flat and almost appeared that the designers ran out of ideas when finishing it off. The new 1 series flows naturally and appeals immediately to me (obviously this is different to each person). The rear of the car is much sexier and sleeker than the previous 1 series, I just love the rear lights and how they blend into the car. When I first saw the new 1 series on the road I thought that there was a very similar comparison of that to the new VW Polo, however I was very much mistaken on actually seeing the car up close and personal.

The 1 series I test drove was painted in the M Sport Estoril Blue, which is just gorgeous at first site however can only think that it would be a nightmare to maintain based on scratches and dirt. I believe if memory serves me correct that the old E46 had a similar colour option to this. The 18" rims on the new 1 series are just gorgeous and really add character to the car for an overall "sporty" look. From what I can also tell BMW has finally woken up to the fact of leaving LESS space between wheel arches which adds to a cleaner look.

From an interior perspective I personally believe BMW has finally come to the party. I was always the first to say that BMW was "THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE" however would always agree that Audi and Merc had their interior finishes better than that of BMW. This time round I think BMW have really outdone themselves with the interior of the new 1 series. The cockpit is more driver focused and less “jaggered” than any previous model/series (this excludes that of the new 3, 5 and 6 series) I can think of. Once the car is started and all the instrumentation is up and running, one gets the feeling of being in an airplane and surrounded by technology. One thing I have always loved is the BMW steering wheels "thickness". BMW seem to have taken this to another level with comfort and adding more curvature at the "9 and 3" holding position. The new M Sport seats are far more comfortable and personally feel the side bolsters are a bit extended than the previous 1 series. Comparing the 1 series to my E92 M3, I would rate them an easy 7/10.

Onto the drive I guess...

So the first thing that I think that is quite apparent is the acceleration of the 125i. I think for a 4 cylinder it is something else, I never thought that I would get that feeling of being pushed back into my seat (No, this is not the same as a GTR pushback). The second thing I noticed was how smooth and clean the gearshifts are. As the car gets pushed so the engine becomes more apparent. For a 4 cylinder the 125i has a nice tone and really makes you aware that this car is a high performer, I am looking forward to hearing what the M Performance muffler will do to the tone of the car.

Braking and steering really is something else with this car, the improvement really gets flying colours from me with respect to the previous 1 series. I feel the steering is more direct however you do get a sense of a bit less feedback compared to a more traditional steering system, I guess this is something one would just need to adjust to. After getting used to the car the dealer let me shift her into Sports+ and I could feel the increased throttle response immediately, the car did not have M Running Gear and I am not sure if you require Sports Steering to have the steering firm up. With that all said I believe the car is very nimble and progressive. From a comfort point of view and being an M with the upgraded M suspension the car is a lot more relaxed than that of previous cars I have had. I am hoping the Adaptive Suspension will be a bit harder than this in Sports mode. Going through corners the car becomes very predictable and really tells you how much more you can or can’t push her. Pushing the car out a bit I found that she was very easy to catch when going into an over-steer and on the catch does not throw the car out like that of the previous 1 series. Acceleration to high-revs is a great feeling, I found that the last 1000 revs on the car through each gear are a bit weak but you cannot expect that power to be up there on a 4 cylinder. . I think the dealer had a bigger smile on his face than what I did.

Overall I love this car and hence why I have ordered myself one with all the bells and whistles, I am really looking forward to the adaptive suspension and am hoping the steering hardens up as I go through the different modes.

Hope you enjoyed the read!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 07:41 PM   #22
Meanie
Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusF20 View Post
I agree with the consensus, the adaptive steering is a waste,
Looks like you have a good pack of goodies, however, you may want to consider the Pro Nav includes additions like the instument black screen, advanced connectivity and few extra functions with the sound system particularly if you like using the Iphone or Ipod.
Ask your dealer what the cost difference would be to add the Pro Nav and DAB as you would be taking out the items that are included in the Pro Nav
Got all those extras in

As stated previously DAB is not an available option here.
Appreciate 0