BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Alpine White Paint on 1 Series 2017/18?

04-28-2019, 01:58 PM   #1
Talksr
Rep
Drives: F20 120D (2018)

Question Alpine White Paint on 1 Series 2017/18?

Hi there,
I am based in the UK and looking to purchase my first BMW. I would have liked to go for a 3 Series, but it is slightly too big for where I will be parking it, and the on-gong costs such as replacement tyres would be more than the 1 Series.

White 1 Series seem to be very popular in my area. I am looking at going for a 120d Auto as I cover around 21,500 miles per year, most of which is on the motorway.

Ideally, I do not want a white vehicle as due to my commuting, it is going to require constant cleaning, however, I do think the alpine white ones do look good and there seems to be an abundance of them in used car sales rooms. They seem to be the most popular colour for sale in my area.

Does any one know if Alpine White paint is longer lasting? I am used to having dark, metallic based paints. I tend to keep my cars for quite some time, my current one is 10 years old. If I am going to get an alpine white 1 Series, I want to make sure it will last and not have paint issues in a few years.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 08:01 PM   #2
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C

Far more important than color, is how you take care of it. Any paint will look terrible with neglect, on the flip side all bmw colors will last with proper care. Color is far less important than technique, but I would say lighter colors are easier to take care of than darker colors. Swirls and the such seem much more apparent on darker colors.

Go with what you like best, I’m sure it’ll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 08:27 PM   #3
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

White is better than black ...

https://mmautodetailing.com/detailin...lack-or-white/
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 10:29 PM   #4
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Hmm I've always felt white is a pretty low-maintenance color.

I've only had black cars and get ticked off whenever there's rain in the forecast. Thankfully I'm moving someplace sunny.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 06:59 AM   #5
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

Silver or grey hide dirt best.

Black and white look worst when dirty.

Given the miliage you do, a clean white car will look filfty from spray on a wet or rainy day. How do I know? I have a white Skoda Fabia Color Edition that looks amazing when washed but unattractive after a few days of wet road.

FYI I have an Alpine white G01 X3 on order but dirty won't be a worry as it won't be on the motorway or fast A roads more than 4 times per month.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 02:19 AM   #6
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

My alpine white m135i look beige if I haven't washed it in a while get silver or grey if you want to hide the dirt

'14 F20 M135i EWG FBO:// INJEN INTAKE // PURE INLET// TURBOSMART BOV DUAL PORT //
//CSF INTERCOOLER // ER CP // SNOW S2.5 METH KIT // B58TU HPFP // NGK 97506 // ER DP // TMSS MID PIPE //MPE // MPBBK // UR STRUT BRACE // BM3 CUSTOM JORDAN E85 TUNE // XHP STAGE 3 //
Appreciate 1
Crassus229.00
      05-02-2019, 04:59 AM   #7
Talksr
Rep

Thanks everyone. In an ideal world, I would like to go for a grey one, but from searching Auto Trader, there are very few 120d's in grey which are 18 plate with leather seats. The Alpine White model I have found has got everything and is a really good price.

I found a 118 with less spec for £1k more than the white one and it was a year older! The prices seem very up and down for 1 series.

I think I might take a look at it (the white one) and see what I think. I may need to invest in some car cleaning gear as during winter it will be filthy within days due to my commute. One good thing with the paint is that it would be easy to repair if someone hit me.
Does anyone know if it is likely to fade over the years?

If anything comes up in the mean time in grey, for the right price, I will go for it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 04:25 PM   #8
Cookie4658
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1 and 3 series M Sport

I've 2 white cars, a 1 and a 3 series and they're really not hard to look after. You don't have to clean them weekly to shine and when cleaning use a good iron and tar remover to get rid of any road debris.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 04:03 AM   #9
V-Eight
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

Previously, I had a Black Cooper S, then an alpine white 120d E87, now an Alpine white M140i F20. My father love only black cars, and believe me, they're really, really difficult to maintain properly brilliant and "new", even if you really take care to your car, and you take care in the way you wash it.

The light colors are miles better to maintain, easier to wash (as you don't see any kind wash reflexes that you'll always see on a black car unless you wrap it), and much cooler (as far as inside tempertaure) during summer period, believe me, it's another good point to value instead of dark colors.

My girlfriend has a new Cooper S, and it's moonwalk grey. Black is lovely....but only wen you pick up the car from the dealer....then basing on how difficult is to maintain a black car, as I told you, my father drives only black cars and I had one in the past.... it becomes a nightmare (for me) if you really take care of the car.

A solution could be to wrap it transparent, or maybe using the new nano-technologies, but honeslty, I don't want to be bored and sick more than what I'm with my car. A car is made to be used, and if you're like me, that you like to have an always claned and shiny car with few efforts, black isn'the right choice.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 06:42 AM   #10
Ezbim
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Have you considered silver or is it a no go?
      06-08-2019, 04:27 AM   #11
AlkanNavigator
Warranty Advisor
Turkey
Rep
Drives: F20 116i Sport Line N13

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talksr View Post
Hi there,
I am based in the UK and looking to purchase my first BMW. I would have liked to go for a 3 Series, but it is slightly too big for where I will be parking it, and the on-gong costs such as replacement tyres would be more than the 1 Series.

White 1 Series seem to be very popular in my area. I am looking at going for a 120d Auto as I cover around 21,500 miles per year, most of which is on the motorway.

Ideally, I do not want a white vehicle as due to my commuting, it is going to require constant cleaning, however, I do think the alpine white ones do look good and there seems to be an abundance of them in used car sales rooms. They seem to be the most popular colour for sale in my area.

Does any one know if Alpine White paint is longer lasting? I am used to having dark, metallic based paints. I tend to keep my cars for quite some time, my current one is 10 years old. If I am going to get an alpine white 1 Series, I want to make sure it will last and not have paint issues in a few years.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Alpine White F20 here.

I haven't had any problems in 7 years.

But of course it's a matter of liking.

To put it briefly, it is easy to clean and maintain. Scratches are unclear.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 05:48 AM   #12
Talksr
Rep

Hi everyone.

I went for it and I really like it. I agree, it is really easy to keep clean. Black bug marks on the front are a pain, and require regular removal, but other than that, I love it.

Thanks for all of your help and comments.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 07:13 AM   #13
bebez1
Rep
Drives: M3

You only have problems with "Black bug marks"? How often do you wash it?