BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > People Who Live Or Have Been To The New England States

06-20-2016, 10:36 AM   #1
Marc08EX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

People Who Live Or Have Been To The New England States

Anybody live in the New England states or has gone there? I need your help and I'm hoping you could help provide some assistance.

I'm planning to do a fall foliage driving tour and I'm currently in the research phase. Of course, I'm seeing the driving suggestions from the "www.discovernewengland.org" website. But I'm curious if anybody has any suggestions on some nice back road drives that will feast my eyes of the foliage beauty the northeast has to offer. Any small towns, cities or must see places to visit you'd recommend?

Thanks for your help! I'm looking forward in hearing your suggestions.
2011 135i 6MT | Alpine White | Terracotta Boston Leather | M-Sport | BMW Performance Exhaust Resonator Delete | Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust | BMW Performance Suspension | Blackline LCI Taillights | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | CF Rear Diffuser | PPK | E92 M3 FSB | Matte Black Kidney Grilles | VMR V710 Jet Anthracite | Michelin PSS | BMW SS Pedals
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 01:04 PM   #2
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Well New England is a large area with 6 states so it'll depend on which part of NE you want to concentrate on, since I doubt you'll want to drive ThAT much. But I've lived near Boston my whole life and the foliage is pretty easy to see no matter where you are so I'd imagine any nice back road will also due. I live in the city and don't venture far out too often but some town to check out Gloucester or Rockport in MA. Small , coastal with nice scenery but prob not much foliage. Parts of Salem,MA since foliage and Halloween season are so close to each other. Newport, RI is really nice also a coastal city. Also Boston itself isn't too bad. Beacon hill has foliage and small streets lined with expensive brownstones.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 01:14 PM   #3
Marc08EX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
Well New England is a large area with 6 states so it'll depend on which part of NE you want to concentrate on, since I doubt you'll want to drive ThAT much. But I've lived near Boston my whole life and the foliage is pretty easy to see no matter where you are so I'd imagine any nice back road will also due. I live in the city and don't venture far out too often but some town to check out Gloucester or Rockport in MA. Small , coastal with nice scenery but prob not much foliage. Parts of Salem,MA since foliage and Halloween season are so close to each other. Newport, RI is really nice also a coastal city. Also Boston itself isn't too bad. Beacon hill has foliage and small streets lined with expensive brownstones.
Thanks for the reply, EJT86.

I'm planning to hit all 6 states. I'll start out in Hartford, CT and drive all the way to St Johnsbury, VT via I-91 north. Then I'll head down to Lincoln, NH via I-93 south. Will take the Kancamagus highway to Conway, NH. Then take highway 302 to Portland, ME. Then take I-95 south to Boston, MA.

That's the tentative route right now. I just don't know which cities/towns to stop. And are there good back roads I should take besides the interstate and highways I mentioned above that will show me better scenic fall foliage drives.
2011 135i 6MT | Alpine White | Terracotta Boston Leather | M-Sport | BMW Performance Exhaust Resonator Delete | Active Autowerke Signature Exhaust | BMW Performance Suspension | Blackline LCI Taillights | BMW Performance CF Spoiler | CF Rear Diffuser | PPK | E92 M3 FSB | Matte Black Kidney Grilles | VMR V710 Jet Anthracite | Michelin PSS | BMW SS Pedals
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 01:20 PM   #4
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

hahahahaha when I was up in VT you guys were called leaf peepers!

With that being said, anywhere in VT is the place to be...I would make my way up from anywhere around Rutland, to Burlington, to the Canadian border.

I dunno, I would skip the Boston/NH thing myself...and just do VT to Canada...
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 01:21 PM   #5
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
Thanks for the reply, EJT86.

I'm planning to hit all 6 states. I'll start out in Hartford, CT and drive all the way to St Johnsbury, VT via I-91 north. Then I'll head down to Lincoln, NH via I-93 south. Will take the Kancamagus highway to Conway, NH. Then take highway 302 to Portland, ME. Then take I-95 south to Boston, MA.

That's the tentative route right now. I just don't know which cities/towns to stop. And are there good back roads I should take besides the interstate and highways I mentioned above that will show me better scenic fall foliage drives.
Oh I see. Well sounds like a good trip. Yea Rockport or Gloucester might be worth a stop. It's somewhat on your way to Boston. Salem too if your trip is in Oct. might be a cool stop (seven gables etc) Rt. 3 to cape cod wouldn't be bad if you have time. I know Newport ,RI is nice if you find yourself in south RI. Hopefully someone else can chime in on backroad drives
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 07:46 PM   #6
E92 M Sport
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82

Keene, NH is a nice town. Also highway 9 isn't a bad road either. Mount Washington would also be a good choice.
      06-20-2016, 07:52 PM   #7
Aatish
Lofty
Rep
Drives: i4 M50, 991.2 C2, RRS Diesel

Upstate New York has some nice forests.

There are some routes around Bear mountain which are absolutely beautiful in the fall. Great driving roads too. If you played Need For Speed 3: Hot Pursuit back in 1998, then some of the roads will remind you of the Hometown track.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 10:09 PM   #8
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aatish View Post
Upstate New York has some nice forests.

There are some routes around Bear mountain which are absolutely beautiful in the fall. Great driving roads too. If you played Need For Speed 3: Hot Pursuit back in 1998, then some of the roads will remind you of the Hometown track.
Haha that brings back memories...
Appreciate 0