BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > Second Generation 1 Series Forum > 2012 BMW 1-Series Sporthatch (F20) Discussion > Alloy Refurbishment

01-16-2014, 07:26 AM   #1
matthewcornish
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Alloy Refurbishment

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi all,

I took some heavy scuffing to my front-left alloy while avoiding a driver* that pulled out right in front of me on a roundabout. The alloy had an argument with the high curbs around the roundabout in doing so. Amazingly no other damage to the car despite my fears that having gracefully drifted (*cough*) into the curb that fast would have killed my suspension etc. Might not have had time to slow down but man the car steers well.

Thinking of getting that refurbished... question is would you recommend using BMW dealers for this or might it be cheaper going to a local garage? I'm leaning towards dealer and going to ask for a quote soon in any case. I feel a BMW dealer would do the better job. Should have asked for a quote when they checked the car over just afterwards.

* Not my favorite person in the world. He stopped for a moment after I hit the curb then flawed it when I stepped out the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 08:10 AM   #2
Madgambler
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Hartge, M Xorst, Quaife, B1

Garage List
My dealer charges about £65 per wheel for a scuff refurb. Probably worth asking them to do it and explain why as they should also check for cracks on the rim that you might not see with the tyre on.

By the sounds of your incident though you may want your tracking / wheel-alignment checked as well, especially if your steering wheel is no longer properly level when the road wheels are pointing straight ahead.
      01-16-2014, 09:10 AM   #3
matthewcornish
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madgambler View Post
By the sounds of your incident though you may want your tracking / wheel-alignment checked as well, especially if your steering wheel is no longer properly level when the road wheels are pointing straight ahead.
Yeah I had that sort of thing checked at the time I just wasn't in the mood to spend money having it fixed up but now I'm thinking I should.
Appreciate 0