BMW 1-Series Forum (F20) 135i - 1Addicts.com > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) > World Superbike 2016

11-11-2016, 09:11 AM   #1
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

World Superbike 2016

Not sure if anyone here follows WSBK. But I just watched the last race of the season. As much as I wanted Sykes to win the championship this season and not being to fond of Rhea, Rhea really scored a lot of points with me on what he did for Sykes in the second race at Qatar. While it's no secret these guys don't get along, Rhea checked up mid way on the last lap to allow Sykes to grab second in the championship. And it was great to see Sykes show his appreciation after they both pulled off at turn 1.

That was a stark contrast a couple of years ago when Syke's teammate at the time Baz didn't follow team orders and caused Sykes to lose the championship that year.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #2
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I think Rea is a consummate professional. Sykes, in comparison, acts like a petulant child sometimes (...if you watched the 2014/2015 seasons you'll know what I'm referring to). I'm glad Rea defended his title.

The fact that Baz "rode for Baz" isn't a big deal to me. Baz was ahead in Qatar's race #1 and took the position because he deserved it. He had the measure of Sykes in race #2 and pulled over on the last lap to let him have the podium position. If that's not enough for Baz's criticizers, then I don't know what to tell you. He gave up a position to allow Sykes some traction toward the WC. Baz was already given the oust, so why not ride for himself?!?!?! What Rea did was a nod to Kawasaki so they could nab 2nd and the manufacturer's championship as well, but Sykes needed to earn that championship. He wasn't able to pull it off by his own merit, soooooooooooo........that's life. Being "handed" a championship is not the way a sportsMAN wants to win. He would have lost anyway even had Baz opted to give up the 4 points, so it's really a moot argument in favor of Sykes anyway.

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 12-02-2016 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
FMLYSDN1179.50
      12-02-2016, 01:12 PM   #3
Jackie Chiles
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

I've know Sykes to be a nice, humble guy.
2023 M4CX - RIP - WGI Turn 9
2024 M4CX - Week 39
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 01:24 PM   #4
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
I've know Sykes to be a nice, humble guy.
Maybe he is [in the flesh], but his attitude/behavior toward his teammate in the paddock and on social media didn't portray that. From the outside looking in, he was just acting like a baby.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 01:32 PM   #5
FMLYSDN
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Frozen Grey E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I think Rea is a consummate professional. Sykes, in comparison, acts like a petulant child sometimes (...if you watched the 2014/2015 seasons you'll know what I'm referring to). I'm glad Rea defended his title.

The fact that Baz "rode for Baz" isn't a big deal to me. Baz was ahead in Qatar's race #1 and took the position because he deserved it. He had the measure of Sykes in race #2 and pulled over on the last lap to let him have the podium position. If that's not enough for Baz's criticizers, then I don't know what to tell you. He gave up a position to allow Sykes some traction toward the WC. Baz was already given the oust, so why not ride for himself?!?!?! What Rea did was a nod to Kawasaki so they could nab 2nd and the manufacturer's championship as well, but Sykes needed to earn that championship. He wasn't able to pull it off by his own merit, soooooooooooo........that's life. Being "handed" a championship is not the way a sportsMAN wants to win. He would have lost anyway even had Baz opted to give up the 4 points, so it's really a moot argument in favor of Sykes anyway.
I would agree with this statement.

I have not followed WSBK as closely in the last few years. I still catch the news every week, however I do not diligently watch it like I did many years ago. The last season that I watched in awe was when Ben Spies took the championship. That was one of the better ones from the last 10 years.

I think WSBK has lost a bit of the draw and I would love to see some more talent and depth to the field. In addition, it feels as though the technical regulations have dumbed the series down a bit, but it is supposed to be a production based series.

I have always followed and watched MotoGP too and I feel that some of these series go up and down in terms of my engagement. The 990cc era was incredible. The 800cc era was probably my least favourite while a return to 1000cc is getting better. The tire rules this year definitely played an interesting role as well as the weather.

I am curious as to what Dorna will do when the biggest draw (Rossi) finally retires? I think there are some interesting story lines next year (Lorenzo and Ducati) but I don't think there is a single individual who will bring the level of excitement on and off the track as Rossi does.

It is one of the reasons that I kind of lost interest in WSBK. Some of the great racers are retired or moved on. I am hopeful that Hayden and Honda can pull something together next year, but I have come to the realization that Hayden probably won't be able to deliver due to age and equipment. I still believe he loves racing and that he is passionate, but even with the best bike, I am not convinced he would produce consistent results. He's past his prime but that hasn't stopped the likes of Bayliss, Checa, Haga, Biaggi.....
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 01:43 PM   #6
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLYSDN View Post

I have not followed WSBK as closely in the last few years. I still catch the news every week, however I do not diligently watch it like I did many years ago. The last season that I watched in awe was when Ben Spies took the championship. That was one of the better ones from the last 10 years.

I think WSBK has lost a bit of the draw and I would love to see some more talent and depth to the field. In addition, it feels as though the technical regulations have dumbed the series down a bit, but it is supposed to be a production based series.

I have always followed and watched MotoGP too and I feel that some of these series go up and down in terms of my engagement. The 990cc era was incredible. The 800cc era was probably my least favourite while a return to 1000cc is getting better. The tire rules this year definitely played an interesting role as well as the weather.

I am curious as to what Dorna will do when the biggest draw (Rossi) finally retires? I think there are some interesting story lines next year (Lorenzo and Ducati) but I don't think there is a single individual who will bring the level of excitement on and off the track as Rossi does.

It is one of the reasons that I kind of lost interest in WSBK. Some of the great racers are retired or moved on. I am hopeful that Hayden and Honda can pull something together next year, but I have come to the realization that Hayden probably won't be able to deliver due to age and equipment. I still believe he loves racing and that he is passionate, but even with the best bike, I am not convinced he would produce consistent results. He's past his prime but that hasn't stopped the likes of Bayliss, Checa, Haga, Biaggi.....

I agree with most, if not all, of the points you made. I didn't watch WSBK much this year. Part of the reason why I didn't was because FS1, FS2 and BEIN sports all had spotty or no coverage of the events, and the other reason was because I wasn't invested in any of the riders. I thought that Hayden would do about as well as he did this year, but I knew VanDerMark would still edge him out. I am happy for Rea though. He needs a shot in GP. I did pay for the MotoGP pass though simply because I'm invested in Rossi and a few other riders on the grid. Lorenzo did well during the Ducati test, and I fully expect him to be a threat next season...........right along with Iannone on the Suzuki and Vinales on the Yamaha. I think it'll be a 4 or 5 horse race next season.
Appreciate 1
FMLYSDN1179.50
      12-02-2016, 02:53 PM   #7
Jackie Chiles
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Maybe he is [in the flesh], but his attitude/behavior toward his teammate in the paddock and on social media didn't portray that. From the outside looking in, he was just acting like a baby.

Interesting. Do you have a link or two? I've not followed WSBK much since Spies left, and Sykes was his teammate then on the Yamaha.
2023 M4CX - RIP - WGI Turn 9
2024 M4CX - Week 39
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 02:55 PM   #8
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
Interesting. Do you have a link or two? I've not followed WSBK much since Spies left, and Sykes was his teammate then on the Yamaha.
Let me see what I can find on Crash.net. I'm an avid member/contributor there.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 04:10 PM   #9
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

I watch it religiously. Good guys and bad guys like every sport, strange teammates as well.

Should actually keep this thread going for next year? When I get the new BMW Racer.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 01:15 PM   #10
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8cs

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLYSDN View Post

Captured nicely...

My WSBK automatically renewed last season my fault, and I didn't end up watching one weekend series all year. Just lost interest.

Still watching MotoGP and am a Rossi fan. I like the underdog, with reservations about Marquez, but Rossi is just phenomenal to do what he does at his age. Those of you that race bikes know what I'm talking about

Last edited by Dr Thrillride; 01-01-2017 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
FMLYSDN1179.50
      01-01-2017, 01:16 PM   #11
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-T View Post
I watch it religiously. Good guys and bad guys like every sport, strange teammates as well.

Should actually keep this thread going for next year? When I get the new BMW Racer.
What's the price tag on that beast in your parts?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 01:18 PM   #12
DC-T
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 M5/Golf R/Amarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Thrillride
Quote:

What's the price tag on that beast in your parts?
Going to be a killer. Still raving the HP4 this year as I wait for the racer, hoping they'll homologate them to race this year!
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 04:09 PM   #13
Dr Thrillride
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Going to be a killer. Still raving the HP4 this year as I wait for the racer, hoping they'll homologate them to race this year!
I still have my original race bike, Aprilia RSVR1000. Bought a 2012 RSV4 when Biaggi was on top riding it. Tracked it but never raced it. Now I track BMW cars. Too old and too fat to race bikes. Lol

If you ever pull the trigger on that beast please post up!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2017, 06:56 PM   #14
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Thrillride View Post
I still have my original race bike, Aprilia RSVR1000. Bought a 2012 RSV4 when Biaggi was on top riding it. Tracked it but never raced it. Now I track BMW cars. Too old and too fat to race bikes. Lol

If you ever pull the trigger on that beast please post up!
Got any pics of the Aprilias?! I have a soft spot for those bikes. My dad currently owns an RSV-4 RF and had a street Mille R and a tracked prepped Mille R, at one time.